Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brian <bb...@yahoo.com> on 2010/11/20 17:40:01 UTC

Spam

Since I enrolled in this list, I started to receive spam. The tipical
subject of "I have an account in the Nigerian Bank with US$10'000,000 and if
you help me to recover it, you will get 30%......". Is there a way to avoid
this?

Re: Spam

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2010/11/20 Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>:
> the problem might be exactly the mail archive

I meant "the Apache mail archive" not mail-archive.com

Antonio

Re: Spam

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2010/11/20 Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com>:
>> From: Brian [mailto:bbprefix-mail@yahoo.com]
>> Subject: Spam
>
>> Since I enrolled in this list, I started to receive spam.
>
> If you've never gotten spam before, you must be nearly unique.
>
> Since the mailing list messages are archived in numerous public locations, it's pretty much impossible to prevent the unscrupulous from harvesting members' e-mail addresses.

Charles
the problem might be exactly the mail archive, take a look at this sample:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/201011.mbox/browser
Addresses, present in "original message" part (and similar) are not
anonymized. AFAIK other services, like Mail Archive, markmail, etc.
anonymize those.

Antonio

RE: Spam

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Brian [mailto:bbprefix-mail@yahoo.com]
> Subject: RE: Spam

> That's is why forums are better than lists.

A matter of opinion.  I find forums to be nearly unusable.

 - Chuck

RE: Spam

Posted by Brian <bb...@yahoo.com>.

Well, I must admit I have received spam before  :-)
But I really don't get much spam, and I don't use any filters because they
have never been reliable enough. I prefer to get spam, than to use a filter
that blocks valid emails and having to check all the blocked emails to see
if something valid is there.
What I meant is that as soon as I enrolled, I started receiving this spam
with the classic scam that made Nigerians famous on the internet, as they
were on fax.

Re: Spam

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Brian [mailto:bbprefix-mail@yahoo.com]
>> Subject: Spam
>
>> Since I enrolled in this list, I started to receive spam.
>
> If you've never gotten spam before, you must be nearly unique.
>
> Since the mailing list messages are archived in numerous public locations, it's pretty much impossible to prevent the unscrupulous from harvesting members' e-mail addresses.
>
>> Is there a way to avoid this?
>
> Use a junk mail filter, either one provided by your ISP, or in your e-mail client.

Alternatively, you can let them come in and read them before you discard them.
Many are funny, my general preference being for the ones (purportedly) coming from Africa.
For the other boring ones, it is easy to filter them out.

RE: Spam

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.