Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2003/03/10 02:01:25 UTC

Re: jakarta-commons-daemon could use that ?

(Please excuse the cross post, I wanted to get this out onto the the
Commons Development List and to JPackage as well. I think the Tomcat
Lists seem to get a little crowded)

Henri,

I emailed the developer of Easy Posix (Greg Guerin). Turns out that its
current implementation is dependent upon "Ten" , a  Mac OS X package for
MacJVM, so it is not deployable in the standard Linux OS.

 From my conversation with him, he spoke that he is planning to develop
a straight JNI implementation of the EasyPosix interfaces in the future,
but that if others went that route earlier he would have an interest.

As there has already been much work in the JNI area with daemon, this
would certainly seem an interesting co-evolution. Perhaps daemon could
grow into quite a powerful java based service environment with the
addition of a JNI Implementation of EasyPosix?!

Cygwin supports a wide array of posix functions, and making sure the
implementation of EasyPosix that worked on cygwin as well would provide
a port of these functions to Windows via Cygwin.

Perhaps, even a "standard" could evolve to support a specific subset of
posix-like Functions. Using something like EasyPosix as a guide, a java
program (daemon or not) that needed greater access to POSIX functions
could be ported to any system that EasyPosix was supported on,
completely independent of its implementation on that system. It would
possibly make "java services" quite cross-platform for at least in the
unix/linux/darwin/cygwin world.

Another point of interest: If JPackage produced a Tomcat RPM based on
the current implementation of daemon and another implementation of
daemon based on EasyPosix were developed. It would be easy to adapt to
such a change. In the end, this would possibly make EasyPosix the means
by which daemon could be ported to Darwin/Mac without the wieght of
compiling or porting a JNI implementation.

-Mark

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Thats fine, however, if you do find an interest in any of our
discussion, we would love to hear from you again. "The ideas must flow!"
I'll leave you off any emails from this point on. Thank you for
answering my questions.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: [Jpackage-discuss] Re: jakarta-commons-daemon could use that ?

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Drawing on the ideas presented so far (Greg, Jean, Henri etc) this is
how the idea maps out in my head.

Current arch:
-------------------        --------------------------
------------------
|   daemon            |        |      jakarta-connectors   |
|    EasyPosix     |
-------------------        --------------------------
------------------
|Custom JNI Impl |       |   JNI Apache APR Impl |           |  OS X
JDirect  |
-------------------        --------------------------
------------------
|  Cygwin/Unix      |       |Windows/Unix (OS X?) |           |  OS X
Darwin  |
-------------------        --------------------------
------------------

Currently only one solution for installation in each case.

Possible future arch:
|          daemon       |          jakarta-connectors       |      other
packages       |
|                            EasyPosix (or APR like)
Interface                                 |
|       APR Impl       |          Custom JNI Impl         |  OS X -
JDirect Impl   |
|   Win/Unix/OS X  |   Unix, Cygwin, OS X, etc     |      OS X
Darwin        |

Notice how it gives a "wide array" of possibilites for usage at the OS
level. This means installers can have "choice" of implementations to
install daemon like jakarta packages ontop of. "Porting" is moved into
"one layer shared by all" instead of "separate custom implementations of
each".

Note: I don't neccessarily suggest that EasyPosix is the only means of
attaining this interoperability, if the developers of the
jakarta-connectors have established a layer of similar functionality, it
could easily be the case that this support maps into the same position
in the arch as where I've placed EasyPosix at the moment.  I am using
EasyPosix as just an example of an interface that may be implemented by
various means on one particular operating system and I am not
restricting it to be an "only case", just an example of a clearly
defined interface.

-Mark

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> (Please excuse the cross post, I wanted to get this out onto the the
> Commons Development List and to JPackage as well. I think the Tomcat
> Lists seem to get a little crowded)
>
> Henri,
>
> I emailed the developer of Easy Posix (Greg Guerin). Turns out that its
> current implementation is dependent upon "Ten" , a  Mac OS X package for
> MacJVM, so it is not deployable in the standard Linux OS.
>
>  From my conversation with him, he spoke that he is planning to develop
> a straight JNI implementation of the EasyPosix interfaces in the future,
> but that if others went that route earlier he would have an interest.
>
> As there has already been much work in the JNI area with daemon, this
> would certainly seem an interesting co-evolution. Perhaps daemon could
> grow into quite a powerful java based service environment with the
> addition of a JNI Implementation of EasyPosix?!

In jakarta-commons-daemon the JNI is limited to what was needed for the daemon.

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.