Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2002/06/10 15:15:05 UTC

unbiased opinions wanted.

The POI community, in an effort to be really original <smirk/>, is
conducting a logo contest.  One of the
logos appears to have taken the show but I'm a bit suspicious as to just
how far away its run with the show.
http://vote.sparklit.com/poll.spark/640946  I mean most days it gets
50-100 votes  which is pretty weird
considering the quality of all of the submissions.  I'd understand if it
were like 5 move votes a day over time than
the rest of the logos....but like 50?

Second question that came up on the comments (that we didn't notice when
accepting it because I don't think
any of us use Windoze XP).  Do you think its too close to the Win XP
logo.  (its a diamond, not a floaty square
thing)...?

I appreciate your input,

Andy

Re: unbiased opinions wanted.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
At 05:27 PM 6/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>>The POI community, in an effort to be really original <smirk/>, is
>>conducting a logo contest.  One of the
>>logos appears to have taken the show but I'm a bit suspicious as to just
>>how far away its run with the show.
>>http://vote.sparklit.com/poll.spark/640946  I mean most days it gets
>>50-100 votes  which is pretty weird
>>considering the quality of all of the submissions.  I'd understand if it
>>were like 5 move votes a day over time than
>>the rest of the logos....but like 50?
>>Second question that came up on the comments (that we didn't notice when
>>accepting it because I don't think
>>any of us use Windoze XP).  Do you think its too close to the Win XP
>>logo.  (its a diamond, not a floaty square
>>thing)...?
>
>I am not an expert but trademark law is in part so that unlicensed
>organizations don't use someone else's trademarked logos, especially in a
>way which could construed as conflicting with their business.  If a
>reasonable person sees it and thinks that it is a MS logo and it is being
>used in a context where there could be product confusion then you are
>violating the intent if not the letter of the law.
>
>My first reaction, was "Hey, that's an MS logo on it's side steaming out
>of a cup."  I would change it.

Not to mention that sun will probably come after you for using their
traqdemark aswell ;)

Cheers,

Peter Donald
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
everyone gets busy on the proof."
              - John Kenneth Galbraith

Re: unbiased opinions wanted.

Posted by Ellis Teer <el...@sitepen.com>.

--
Ellis Teer
www.sitepen.com

Re: unbiased opinions wanted.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Danny Angus wrote:

>Its clever, what looks like the M$ logo rising up out of what looks like the
>Java cup.
>I can see why people would vote for it, it actually manages to convey some
>relevant meaning.

So you don't think *other measures* than one man one vote were used..  cool.

>IMHO Reach for your lawyer.

hummm.  I'm glad the vote is not binding ;-).  I think I'll abide by
your opinion (err on the side of safety) and ratify the runner up.
(#5 from the bottom).... or maybe I'll just vote for what I like (#8
from the bottom) :-)

>Or get the contributor to change it to a spreadsheet steaming out instead.

That's kinda like another one on here.

Anyhow, thanks for responding, your thoughts have been very helpful.

-Andy