Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Alexander Zhukov <zh...@ukrpost.net> on 2002/12/15 14:41:54 UTC

v3 mailrepository maildir

hi all!

i'm an author of javamaildir (http://javamaildir.sourceforge.net/)
project. few days ago noel bergman (noel@devtech.com) contacted me and
asked if i wanted to contribute to james.
as i understood from his words (and from googling this page:
http://www.mail-archive.com/avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg18473.html)
  maildir is going to be a major mailrepository for the james v3.

the last time i saw james' code was half a year ago, by that time james
had no (well unusable) imap support, weak ldap user store and no
maildir/maildir++ support. these are basically the areas of my interest.
as i see on james' page imap support is removed(was alpha/experimental)
and ldap is still experimetal.
i'd like to bring imap back, but that would require a major redesign of
mailrepository interface. it leads me to conclusion that i should focus
my work on james v3.

noel said that no v3 code currently exists only ideas.

a question: are there any web-pages/papers that i could look through to
get a quick understanding of has been done about v3 and where should i
start, or possibly anyone could describe the situation?

in james-dev mailing list archive i've found this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/james-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg04419.html
(James v3 investigatory questions)
 >Possible question areas:
 >  - JAAS
 >  - java.nio
 >  - any JavaMail issues?
 >  - Is JNDI suitable as a general interface to a
 >    user and data (mail) store?  If not, what are
 >    recommendations?

 >Are we willing to keep James v2.x on JDK 1.3, and allow James v3 to
use JDK
 >1.4+, so that we can use java.nio and other enhanced network features?

i have already wrote to noel that javamail while being not very
efficient (too much parsing too early) is pretty usable for
mailrepository in its current state, but we can try to convince bill
shannon (person responsbile for javamail at sun - javamail@sun.com) to
improve it. from previous talk with him i can say he is willing to
cooperate.

imho java.nio jdk1.4 and jndi is a must for v3

RE: v3 mailrepository maildir

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Alexander,

> i'm an author of javamaildir (http://javamaildir.sourceforge.net/)
> project. few days ago noel bergman (noel@devtech.com) contacted me and
> asked if i wanted to contribute to james.
> as i understood from his words (and from googling this page:

http://www.mail-archive.com/avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg18473.html)
>   maildir is going to be a major mailrepository for the james v3.
>
> the last time i saw james' code was half a year ago, by that time
james
> had no (well unusable) imap support, weak ldap user store and no
> maildir/maildir++ support. these are basically the areas of my
interest.
> as i see on james' page imap support is removed(was
alpha/experimental)
> and ldap is still experimetal.

Yep, we're basically at the same point.  IMAP is receiving some new
attention, and is a high priority for the next revision.  But LDAP
hasn't received much attention, and there isn't a maildir implementation
of a mail repository.

> i'd like to bring imap back, but that would require a major redesign
of
> mailrepository interface. it leads me to conclusion that i should
focus
> my work on james v3.

I would agree.  Such a redesign has been discussed for version 3.0.
Desire has been expressed by a number of parties (myself included) that
we revamp the mail, spool, and user repositories.  Input on that revamp
would be extremely valuable.

> noel said that no v3 code currently exists only ideas.
>
> a question: are there any web-pages/papers that i could look through
> get a quick understanding of has been done about v3 and where should i
> start, or possibly anyone could describe the situation?

Here's where I'd start if I were you.

First, the James 2.1 documentation.  Currently this is in beta at
http://jakarta.apache.org/~pgoldstein/documentation_2_1.html .  It will
be moved to the James home page upon finalization/release.  This should
give you a good idea of where James stands today.

Second, the updated "todo" -
http://jakarta.apache.org/~pgoldstein/todo.html .  Again, this should be
moved to the home page shortly.  This is a list of most of the features
that have been discussed either on james-dev or on james-user as being
desirable for v3.  It is not complete, and I expect others to contribute
more to it shortly, but it's a start.

As far as v3 discussions go, they're imminent.  We've had an agreement
in place to focus on getting version 2.1 out the door before moving on
the version 3.0.  Even with this agreement, movement has been slow.  But
the documentation is basically good to go, and Noel expects to have the
marketing elements in place by Wednesday, so v3.0 discussions could
begin in earnest as early as the end of this week.

--Peter