Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/03/26 20:01:53 UTC

HTTP Facility (Re: [merlin] 3.3 Release Schedule/HTTP facility)

Timothy Bennett wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Now that I've got lots of time on my hands, I'm going to bear down and
> nail down a more complete solution for the HTTP facility in order for us
> to have something of the notion of an HTTP-driven service
> (servlet-as-component) for Merlin.

+1

The main outstanding item is getting in some proper context mapping
(current url paths are mapped directly to addressable component).
Something capable of handling the assignment of path patterns to a
component address (or even service reference) would round out a basic
solution that would be practical. From there we could get a release out
and move on in terms of some of the functionality dealing with plugin
connectors and other such things.

Let me know if I can help.

Cheers, Stephen.

Re: HTTP Facility (Re: [merlin] 3.3 Release Schedule/HTTP facility)

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Let me see if I understand this.  You have enabled Merlin to now run
> Servlets as if they were native Avalon components within Merlin?

As far as Merlin is concerned - 3.3 provides "facilities" (components
that  interact with the meta-model api).

The HTTP package includes a facility checks components for
implementation of HTTP message handling (the non-lifecycle operations of
the Servlet spec). At runtime incoming HTTP requests are intercepted and
directed to specific components.

End result is seamless integration of http request handling with
business components. However - providing the Servlet message handling
aspect is only part of the picture.  We also need to be able to map JSP
page processing in the overall solution.

Cheers, Stephen.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.