Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by George Kousiouris <gk...@mail.ntua.gr> on 2011/08/25 11:43:55 UTC

Any related paper on how to resolve hadoop SPOF issue?

Hi guys,

We are currently in the process of writing a paper regarding hadoop and
we would like to reference any attempt to remove the single point of
failure of the Namenode. We have found in various presentations some
efforts (like dividing the namespace between more than one namenodes if
i remember correctly) but the search for a concrete paper on the issue
came to nothing.

Is anyone aware or has participated in such an effort?

Thanks,
George

--

---------------------------

George Kousiouris
Electrical and Computer Engineer
Division of Communications,
Electronics and Information Engineering
Tel: +30 210 772 2546
Mobile: +30 6939354121
Fax: +30 210 772 2569
Email: gkousiou@mail.ntua.gr
Site: http://users.ntua.gr/gkousiou/

National Technical University of Athens
9 Heroon Polytechniou str., 157 73 Zografou, Athens, Greece

Re: Any related paper on how to resolve hadoop SPOF issue?

Posted by "M. C. Srivas" <mc...@gmail.com>.
Are there any performance benchmarks available for Ceph? (with Hadoop,
without, both?)

Posted by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com>.
Andy,

We did run HBase on Ceph but were not able to get a stable performance for
sustained periods. It would give good throughput for a while and the client
would crash soon thereafter. However, this was more than a year ago and a
re-evaluation should be done before commenting further.

-Amandeep

Posted by Alex Nelson <aj...@cs.ucsc.edu>.
Hi Andy,

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by "M. C. Srivas" <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Nelson <aj...@cs.ucsc.edu>.
Hi George,

Posted by Alex Nelson <aj...@cs.ucsc.edu>.
Hi George,

Posted by George Kousiouris <gk...@mail.ntua.gr>.
Hi,

Posted by George Kousiouris <gk...@mail.ntua.gr>.
Hi,

Posted by Nan Zhu <zh...@gmail.com>.
Hope it helps

http://www.springerlink.com/content/h17r882710314147/

Best,

Nan

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 5:43 PM, George Kousiouris <gk...@mail.ntua.gr>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> We are currently in the process of writing a paper regarding hadoop and we
> would like to reference any attempt to remove the single point of failure of
> the Namenode. We have found in various presentations some efforts (like
> dividing the namespace between more than one namenodes if i remember
> correctly) but the search for a concrete paper on the issue came to nothing.
>
> Is anyone aware or has participated in such an effort?
>
> Thanks,
> George
>
> --
>
> ---------------------------
>
> George Kousiouris
> Electrical and Computer Engineer
> Division of Communications,
> Electronics and Information Engineering
> School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
> Tel: +30 210 772 2546
> Mobile: +30 6939354121
> Fax: +30 210 772 2569
> Email: gkousiou@mail.ntua.gr
> Site: http://users.ntua.gr/gkousiou/
>
> National Technical University of Athens
> 9 Heroon Polytechniou str., 157 73 Zografou, Athens, Greece

--
Nan Zhu
School of Electronic, Information and Electrical Engineering,229
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
800,Dongchuan Road,Shanghai,China
E-Mail: zhunansjtu@gmail.com

Re: Any related paper on how to resolve hadoop SPOF issue?

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao G 72686 <ma...@huawei.com>.
Hi,

 Community started working on NameNode High availabily.
 you can refer : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-1623

regards,
Uma

Posted by Nan Zhu <zh...@gmail.com>.