Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/08 07:24:05 UTC

InstallApacheFlex - single-mirror-url.cgi

(Trying to resolve this here before I go bother infra folks)

Erik and others,

The page http://incubator.apache.org/flex/single-mirror-url.cgi and  is
live and working, but it is showing up inside the standard template of the
standard page.  What do I need to do to make it work as a standalone page -
which returns just the preferred url?

http://incubator.apache.org/flex/single-mirror-url.html is there as well,
but is showing only the word [preferred].  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Om

Re: InstallApacheFlex - single-mirror-url.cgi

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
I've got a lot further today... The CGI is at least now showing up in the
right place, and executing -- just with a 500 error :)

http://flex.staging.apache.org/cgi-bin/single-mirror-url.cgi

I'm working to get ahold of the logs to see why we are getting the 500.  We
are getting a lot closer now :)

-Nick

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> It should just be spitting out the base URL for the mirror now.  That
> should include the http, but not the directory.
Looks good I get "http://mirror.overthewire.com.au/pub/apache/" from Sydney Australia that's 8 hops and 30ms away :-)

Justin

Re: InstallApacheFlex - single-mirror-url.cgi

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as> wrote:
> Where would be the best place to document what we had to do?...

A JIRA issue, IMO.

-Bertrand

Re: InstallApacheFlex - single-mirror-url.cgi

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Where would be the best place to document what we had to do?  There were
some server misconfigurations that had to be taken care of by the infra
people.  Once those were taken care of, it was a matter of writing the
wrapper (two line script for apache's mirror.cgi), write the new .htaccess
file, and set the execute permissions in SVN.

-Nick

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Dave,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Aug 10, 2012, at 5:23 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski wrote:

> done.
>
> I worked with infra until about 2am,

Great communication.

> and they ran across some weird perl
> errors that were being generated for our list of mirrors, but it is fixed
> now.
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/flex/single-mirror-url.cgi

Very cool.

> It should just be spitting out the base URL for the mirror now.  That
> should include the http, but not the directory.

Like the chtml and view/path.pm change.

In templates/no_template.html you should switch from "content|markdown" to "content|safe". That will definitely not change the *.chtml file.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
done.

I worked with infra until about 2am, and they ran across some weird perl

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Nick,

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Just a heads up -- I got the new CGI in place, and setup a new template in
the CMS (.chtml).  Anything published with a .chtml extension will not get
a template applied to it.  The theory is that we should be able to simply
parse the  http://flex.staging.apache.org/flex/single-mirror-url.cgi  page
to get the proper URL (we would update the single-mirror-url.chtml page
with the current binaries).  In order to do this, I had to modify the
/trunk/lib/path.pm and the /trunk/templates/no-template.html pages to parse
.chtml pages.

The only issue I'm running into now is that the actual CGI script does not
have execute permissions.  I'm working on that right now (if anybody wants
to join us on IRC to chat about it)

-Nick

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> > If you don't mind, can you extract that piece alone into a separate
> patch?
>
> Well, no, I'm afraid. This is the whole point of my 'crossing patches'
> argument. The new HTML parsing code is embedded in the code that I've
> refactored to accomodate the new localisation handling. Is there any
> way I can get (temporary) write privileges on (our section of) the
> repository and patch the source myself?
>
> EdB

Erik, now that the html parsing code is not needed, I think we are not in a
hurry to merge this patch.  So no need to separate the patches.  I will try
my best to review the patch this weekend, though.

For future reference, it would make the committers' life so much easier if
each patch addressed a single problem or bug.  Or at least, the patch
description should have all the details of what is exactly is in it.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Sunday, August 12, 2012, Erik de Bruin wrote:

> >> Well, no, I'm afraid. This is the whole point of my 'crossing patches'
> >> argument. The new HTML parsing code is embedded in the code that I've
> >> refactored to accomodate the new localisation handling. Is there any
> >> way I can get (temporary) write privileges on (our section of) the
> >> repository and patch the source myself?
>
> > Unfortunately, that's not possible.  We don't run the infrastructure for
> > Apache, and their guidelines are /very/ strict as far as who gets access.
>
> Actually, I was talking about SVN write access.
>
> EdB

SVN is part of infrastructure, and only committers get write access.

-omar

Re: InstallApacheFlex - single-mirror-url.cgi

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>wrote:

> Om,
>
> I was working on this early last week (sorry I haven't touched it in the
> last week -- I've had a few personal things I had to take care of this
> week), and I was getting the same thing.  It has something to do with the
> way the CMS is transferring the content to the production server.

Yes, I see that the html file I added with just " [preferred] " in it has
been padded with the standard template html around it.

> I do know that the CGI has to be in the CGI folder, and given run
> permissions.

If you look at the page:
http://incubator.apache.org/flex/single-mirror-url.cgi, we do get the
single preferred mirror url in the content section.  It looks like the cgi
is running fine inside of /flex/content/ itself.

When I put the single-mirror-url.cgi and single-mirror-url.html files
inside of the cgi-bin folder, it caused build errors. I might have done
something wrong as well.

> I'm assuming infra does this for us (the permissions part),
> but I'm not sure.  I hopefully will be able to dive into it again tomorrow.

I would like to shadow you when you do these things.  It will be good for
me to learn how these things work.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Om,

I was working on this early last week (sorry I haven't touched it in the
last week -- I've had a few personal things I had to take care of this
week), and I was getting the same thing.  It has something to do with the
way the CMS is transferring the content to the production server.

I do know that the CGI has to be in the CGI folder, and given run
permissions.  I'm assuming infra does this for us (the permissions part),

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
That url should be up now.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Om,