Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com> on 2013/11/14 09:51:20 UTC

[ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

It seems the upgrade section of release notes will require a review, probably followed by a revamp (?).
Can we have some volunteers who are familiar with various upgrade paths comment on it ?
Me and Radhika will try to consolidate those comments, snippets and fix the RN for 4.2.1.

-abhi

RN= https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack-docs.git;a=blob;f=release-notes/en-US/Release_Notes.xml;h=7b28e9f3c9c1a3272ee0ff592e5adcb6df91e893;hb=HEAD

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
Yes - no rule. That said, there is common sense. Releasing without
docs doesn't make a lot of sense. I am still trying to understand the
urgency of releasing.

--David

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

RE: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
It will still take us couple of day to work on release announcement if the VOTE passes. Can we finish up docs in that timeframe?

Thanks
Animesh

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

RE: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
Yes - it's hard to maintain, and it's yet another place to point
people to. Let's deprecate it in favor of decent RN.

--David

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
×2

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 15, 2013, at 8:19 AM, Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com> wrote:

> Ok I will go that way till someone says that listing 175 tickets in
> CHANGES file will needlessly clutter it.
> Can we focus the list to blockers and criticals at least ?

How was it done for 4.1.1 ?
all bugs or just blockers/citricals ?

I know listing 175 tickets seems like a lot, I am just arguing for consistency and automation.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Abihnandan,

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
Ok, will make a exhaustive listing and see if it can be automated for
future releases.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 03:14:48AM -0500, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
> I also would like to see the results of the test matrix for 4.2.1
> running within jenkins.buildacloud.org.  This
> http://jenkins.buildacloud.org/view/cloudstack-qa/ runs against
> master and has been failing for a while.

Bit behind this, I've started a fresh set of tests against 4.2 - will
post the results once the job finishes. The default build now points
to 4.2.  Will switch it back to master post 4.2.1 announcement.

http://jenkins.buildacloud.org/view/cloudstack-qa/job/test-matrix-extended/224/

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.

RE: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
you are right, I now casted a vote and we are at +2 (I had a tentative
+1 before pending some tests:)

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 05:06:41PM +0100, Daan Hoogland wrote:
> Ok, i don't want to press for a release. We'll see (i think we are at
> +2 binding???)

1 - mine

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Ok, i don't want to press for a release. We'll see (i think we are at
+2 binding???)

@Travis: You can find a link to the artifacts in the vote thread.

regards,

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Travis Graham <tg...@tgraham.us>.

RE: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
I agree completely.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 04:49:26PM +0100, Daan Hoogland wrote:
> I am almost +1 on this. If we can at least give the RC to people at
> ccc. Not having a new package to show off next week is a missed
> opportunity.
>
> How about trying to close the vote on wednesday night....?? If no
> bylaws forbid it. We will then be releasing ACS while release notes
> are still dripping in oil. Does the Apache foundation have a thing to
> say anything on this?

72 hour vote window, with at least 3 binding +1 votes and more binding
+1 than -1.

As long as the actual ARTIFACT doesn't change, we're good.  The docs
have been broken out specifically to deal with this type of situation
actually.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
I am good with this as we can get some meaningful results out of the
hackathon session. Will provide any assistance required to collect good
documentation on upgrades, RN etc.

-abhi

Re: [ASF4.2.1] Release Notes

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.