Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2022/02/22 22:42:50 UTC

dropping py3.6 and supporting other versions

In https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/tickets/8413/ Dillon has changes to
drop python 3.6 and only support 3.7, so I wanted to bring it to the mailing
list to make sure anyone interested was aware.  3.6 is standard on several older
linux OS releases, but it is end-of-life so I think it makes sense for Allura to
stop supporting it.  https://endoflife.date/python

Regarding other versions, I think it would be great if we can support all
versions of CPython that are available at any given time.  Especially since
newer versions have performance improvements and nice features.  So currently
thats 3.7 - 3.10.  I'd hope that its not too hard to do that, although last year
Ingo mentioned it might have challenges:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/l2gfx9qogwosvd303ryz0y78mo3hkspq  We'll see what
happens when we try, I suppose, and go from there.

And I think it goes without saying that we can clean up python 2 things in our
codebase at any time.

P.S. we should do a release, its almost been a year!

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal