Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Steven W. Orr" <st...@syslang.net> on 2005/04/15 16:24:47 UTC

Problem with mail being rejected by friends!

Recently I have been getting phone calls that friends have been getting
their mail rejected by sa. I have been adding whitelist entries like crazy
but I really loathe having to disable spam rejection by spamass-milter.

Anyone else getting this?

steveo at syslang.net

Re: Problem with mail being rejected by friends!

Posted by Keith Ivey <kc...@cpcug.org>.
Neil Watson wrote:

> Rejecting spam is not a good idea.  Most of the time you end up spamming
> some poor sod who has been joe-jobbed.  Discard spam.  Don't add the to
> problem.

The problem with discarding is that in situations like the one
described the sender will have no idea the mail was not received.

There's little problem with rejecting, as opposed to bouncing,
messages that you think are spam.  That means doing it during
the SMTP session, before you accept the message.  It will not
usually result in messages to a joe-job victim, since spammers
will not send bounces in response to a rejection.

--
Keith C. Ivey <kc...@cpcug.org>
Washington, DC

Re: Problem with mail being rejected by friends!

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 10:44 AM 4/15/2005, Neil Watson wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:24:47AM -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
>>their mail rejected by sa. I have been adding whitelist entries like
>>crazy but I really loathe having to disable spam rejection by spamass-milter.
>
>Rejecting spam is not a good idea.  Most of the time you end up spamming
>some poor sod who has been joe-jobbed.  Discard spam.  Don't add the to
>problem.

Rejecting spam is fine Neil.. It's bouncing that's bad.

Rejecting = 550 at the SMTP layer.

Bouncing = generating a post-delivery bounce.

If you reject, it goes back to the joe job victim from the abused relay. No
big deal there, the victim can just block the abused relay without concerns
for collateral damage. Odds are very good he's going to have to block this
server anyway, as it's going to be generating thousands of undeliverable
errors anyway.

If you bounce, it goes back to the victim from your server. This is tough
for the victim to deal with, because there could be thousands of servers
doing this. Blocking all of them is time consuming.

It's basically the difference between trying to block a DoS attack that's
coming from one source, vs blocking a DDoS attack coming from many. DoS is
easy to deal with, DDoS, not so easy.

Re: Problem with mail being rejected by friends!

Posted by alan premselaar <al...@12inch.com>.
Rick Macdougall wrote:

> Neil Watson wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:24:47AM -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
>>
>>> their mail rejected by sa. I have been adding whitelist entries like
>>> crazy but I really loathe having to disable spam rejection by
>>> spamass-milter.
>>

>> Rejecting spam is not a good idea.  Most of the time you end up spamming
>> some poor sod who has been joe-jobbed.  Discard spam.  Don't add the to
>> problem.
>>

> Hi,
>
> While this has been discussed before, I don't think rejecting spam at
> the smtp level is a bad idea, ie 551 - We think this is spam.  How ever,
> bouncing spam after the smtp acceptance is a bad idea.
>
> Since most spam is coming either from infected PC's or spammers dsl
> connections, rejecting at the smtp level is usually not a bad idea.  It
> also allows for legitimate email that is marked as spam to be returned
> to the owner, if you just make spam vanish to /dev/null you may find you
> have some very unhappy clients further down the road who are wondering
> where that letter from the Legal department is.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rick

Not only that, but if Steve had been discarding spam, neither he nor his
friends would have been aware of this problem.

Re: Problem with mail being rejected by friends!

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@nougen.com>.

Posted by Neil Watson <sa...@watson-wilson.ca>.
On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:24:47AM -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
>their mail rejected by sa. I have been adding whitelist entries like crazy
>but I really loathe having to disable spam rejection by spamass-milter.

Rejecting spam is not a good idea.  Most of the time you end up spamming
some poor sod who has been joe-jobbed.  Discard spam.  Don't add the to
problem.

--
Neil Watson               | Gentoo Linux
Network Administrator     | Uptime 9 days

Re: Problem with mail being rejected by friends!

Posted by alan premselaar <al...@12inch.com>.
Steven W. Orr wrote:
> Recently I have been getting phone calls that friends have been getting
> their mail rejected by sa. I have been adding whitelist entries like
> crazy but I really loathe having to disable spam rejection by
> spamass-milter.
>
> Anyone else getting this?

I'm pretty sure your friends haven't been sending me mail... they
certainly haven't been calling me.

(IOW, no. haven't been getting this)

Re: Problem with mail being rejected by friends!

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 10:24 AM 4/15/2005, Steven W. Orr wrote:
>Recently I have been getting phone calls that friends have been getting
>their mail rejected by sa. I have been adding whitelist entries like crazy
>but I really loathe having to disable spam rejection by spamass-milter.
>
>Anyone else getting this?

Nope.. Perhaps you should check your mail logs and try to find out what
rules are hitting the messages.

Check for misfires of Dialup RBLs.. If that's happening, check your
trusted_networks setting.