Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by tn...@lexmark.com on 2003/10/27 15:58:13 UTC

Problems building SASL for Subversion

Hi SVN Community:

Per my Sysadmin Nazi's, I am trying to build Subversion and all the other
packages it depends on "from scratch".  It has been quite an experience so
far ... :(  They want it installed in a non-standard location, and proof
that it is not pulling in things "from the wrong places" etc.  Man, don't
they have enough work to do ???   :)

Anyway, I am having trouble getting sasl-2.1.15 to build ...

If I just build it per the usual ./configure && make && make install, here
is the error I get:

orig.sasl_stderr.o: No such file or directory
mls:/m/mls/tools/ix86-Linux-RH8.0/build/logs->more orig.sasl_stderr.log
aclocal.m4:542: your implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE comes from an
aclocal.m4:542: old Automake version.  You should recreate aclocal.m4
aclocal.m4:542: with aclocal and run automake again.
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

If I park the aclocal.m4 from the distribution out of the way, and regenerate it with aclocal, here is the error I get:

configure.in:133: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
make: *** [configure] Error 1

I don't know jack squat about aclocal, automake, configure, and all that noise.  I'm trying like heck not to have to get into all that ...

I am on a Red Hat 8.0 i686 host machine.  So far I have successfully built
binutils-2.1.4
db-4.0.14
expat-1.95.6
perl-5.8.0
krb5-1.3.1
zlib-1.1.4
ssl-0.9.7b

in the location of choice, and AFAICT, I have managed to get all pacakges so far to use what I have built and nothing of concern
from the "usual places".

Does someone have an idea of what I am doing wrong, or how to navigate around these problems?

Thanks In Advance,
Tim

Re: Problems building SASL for Subversion

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
tnoell@lexmark.com wrote:

> Hi SVN Community:
>
> Per my Sysadmin Nazi's, I am trying to build Subversion and all the other
> packages it depends on "from scratch".  It has been quite an experience so
> far ... :(  They want it installed in a non-standard location, and proof
> that it is not pulling in things "from the wrong places" etc.  Man, don't
> they have enough work to do ???   :)
>
> Anyway, I am having trouble getting sasl-2.1.15 to build ...

Um, Subversion doesn't use sasl.  Well, we use sasl authentication
mechanisms in ra_svn, but we don't actually use the sasl libraries (at
least not yet).  Some other package that we depend on might (Apache?
Maybe...), but Subversion itself does not.

Also, if anyone is going to debug the problem they're going to need more
information than what you're giving.  The last few lines of the compile
output isn't really enough.

If you're having trouble building sasl, a more appropriate forum for the
problem is probably the sasl mailing lists.  People there are more
likely to have experienced the issues you're running into than people
here, especially since Subversion doesn't even directly use the library
in question.

-garrett