Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sebastian Posch <ma...@sposch.net> on 2008/02/25 12:57:21 UTC

svn switch: FROM needs to be accessible?

I have a problem with using svn switch. We are relocating our svn server
so now we want to switch all our repositories. I tried this:

svn switch --relocate svn+ssh://user@OLDSERVER/repo/trunk
svn+ssh://user@NEWSERVER/repo/trunk

However, after a few minutes of runtime I get a "ssh: connect to host
OLDSERVER port 22: Connection timed out. svn: Connection closed
unexpectedly".

Does that mean that in order to switch repositories, the old repository
URL must still be accessible? I was hoping the command would just
replace the URL strings in all the .svn folders without actually
connecting to the host.

I issued the switch command via our server which runs an old svn (1.1.4)
if that helps.

Re: svn switch: FROM needs to be accessible?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 25, 2008, at 06:57, Sebastian Posch wrote:

> I have a problem with using svn switch. We are relocating our svn
> server so now we want to switch all our repositories. I tried this:
>
> svn switch --relocate svn+ssh://user@OLDSERVER/repo/trunk svn+ssh://
> user@NEWSERVER/repo/trunk
>
> However, after a few minutes of runtime I get a "ssh: connect to
> host OLDSERVER port 22: Connection timed out. svn: Connection
> closed unexpectedly".
>
> Does that mean that in order to switch repositories, the old
> repository URL must still be accessible? I was hoping the command
> would just replace the URL strings in all the .svn folders without
> actually connecting to the host.
>
> I issued the switch command via our server which runs an old svn
> (1.1.4) if that helps.

svn switch --relocate is as far as I know supposed to just rewrite
the URLs in the working copy and not initiate any network connections.

Subversion 1.2.x and older are not supported anymore. Please update
to the current version which is 1.4.6.