Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Adhamh Findlay <af...@austin.rr.com> on 2003/09/08 15:39:56 UTC

Documentation only committer?

Hello,

I've noticed that there seem to be several documentation related bugs, that
have patches attached to the bug, but have not yet been committed.

Is there such a thing as a documentation only committer?  If this role
existed, would it speed up the process of getting the new documents out?

Secondly, who was the final say on what gets committed and what does not?
Right now I have two bugs open, one says document SimpleAxisServer more and
the other says to remove all documentation about SAS.  There is disagreement
on which way to go in the Axis community, so I'm curious to know who gets to
decide this.

Thanks,

Adhamh

Re: Documentation only committer?

Posted by Adhamh Findlay <af...@austin.rr.com>.
On 9/8/03 10:11 PM, "Steve Loughran" <st...@iseran.com> wrote:

> Adhamh Findlay wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've noticed that there seem to be several documentation related bugs, that
>> have patches attached to the bug, but have not yet been committed.
>>
>> Is there such a thing as a documentation only committer?  If this role
>> existed, would it speed up the process of getting the new documents out?
>
> It usually complicates CVS too much. Rest assured though, if you submit
> enough doc patches you will become a committer. Docs (and Javadocs) are
> very important to open source projects, and Axis can improve muchly there.

Makes sense.

>> Secondly, who was the final say on what gets committed and what does not?
>> Right now I have two bugs open, one says document SimpleAxisServer more and
>> the other says to remove all documentation about SAS.  There is disagreement
>> on which way to go in the Axis community, so I'm curious to know who gets to
>> decide this.
>
> There is a voting process, covered in the web services corner of the
> wiki. All developers have a say, committers get more say, some decisions
> are based on consensus, others on a majority of sorts, and others have
> veto opportunities. If Tom and Glen say 'doc SAS more', then I'll flow
> with that, even though it is not something I'm likely to use myself.

I think Tom is against it.  But I'll let him speak for himself in the bugs.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.