Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com> on 2001/07/20 07:04:23 UTC

PMC Vote on AxKit Contribution

The AxKit project would like to become an Apache.org project.  Here's
the current status of the PMC vote on this.  This is also an appropriate
time for any committers to voice their opinions.

[+1] Sam Ruby
[] Scott Boag
[+1] Davanum Srinivas
[+1] Dirk-Willem van Gulik
[+0] Ted Leung

Ted

Re: PMC Vote on AxKit Contribution

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> > I'll raise this up again: What about creating a apache project where stuff like
> > AxKit and Cocoon should better end up instead of xml.apache.org? IIRC Cocoon
> > doesn't fit into the charter of xml.apache.org and is only "tolerated" there
> > until a better solution is found, right?
>
> First of all - lets make clear that Cocoon is always welcome here.

Thanks, we always felt comfortable here :)

> Though a lot of the XML projects might be concerned with the basics;
> parsing, transforming, mangling inout, fudging output; none of that lives
> in a vacuum. Cocoon is one of the projects that uses these compoments and
> brings valuable application/implementation experience to the table.
>
> In fact it would be more worrysome if we'd be working on such basic's
> without having clear 'user's for those basic building blocks, and some
> sort of realitiy check.

Indeed, Cocoon is one of the ASF own drivers for the basic as seen in
the past.  We always where able to give specific feedback to the other
projects (Xerces, Xalan, FOP and Batik) maybe because of the environment
Cocoon lives in (servlet/server/multithreaded). Also, I don't want to
nerve about the charter of xml.apache.org but doesn't the charter need
to be extended for things like Cocoon and AxKit which are not basics but
appliances of the basics (I have to confess that I only remember the
initial content of the charter when it was posted some month ago to this
list and I appologies if it was changed in this direction without me
having noticed)?

Giacomo

Re: PMC Vote on AxKit Contribution

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
> I'll raise this up again: What about creating a apache project where stuff like
> AxKit and Cocoon should better end up instead of xml.apache.org? IIRC Cocoon
> doesn't fit into the charter of xml.apache.org and is only "tolerated" there
> until a better solution is found, right?

First of all - lets make clear that Cocoon is always welcome here.

Though a lot of the XML projects might be concerned with the basics;
parsing, transforming, mangling inout, fudging output; none of that lives
in a vacuum. Cocoon is one of the projects that uses these compoments and
brings valuable application/implementation experience to the table.

In fact it would be more worrysome if we'd be working on such basic's
without having clear 'user's for those basic building blocks, and some
sort of realitiy check.

Dw

Re: PMC Vote on AxKit Contribution

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Quoting Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>:

> The AxKit project would like to become an Apache.org project.  Here's
> the current status of the PMC vote on this.  This is also an appropriate
> time for any committers to voice their opinions.
>
> [+1] Sam Ruby
> [] Scott Boag
> [+1] Davanum Srinivas
> [+1] Dirk-Willem van Gulik
> [+0] Ted Leung

  [+1] Giacomo Pati

Posted by Alistair Hopkins <al...@berthengron.co.uk>.
How many web publishing 'things' does apache now host?
How many different sub-projects are they in?
Without checking I believe all these do 'something' for the web:
	cocoon velocity turbine jetspeed struts avalon slide/WebDAV xang

As a (very grateful) user of a range of apache offerings, I have to say that
I am very confused as to which would be suitable in which circumstance, so
much so that I used none of them and just worked from xalan and jakarta to
find my own way.

If more are to be added, I think some guidance for consumers would be
important.

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
On Friday 20 July 2001 05:04, you wrote:
> The AxKit project would like to become an Apache.org project.  Here's
> the current status of the PMC vote on this.  This is also an appropriate
> time for any committers to voice their opinions.
>
> [+1] Sam Ruby
> [] Scott Boag
> [+1] Davanum Srinivas
> [+1] Dirk-Willem van Gulik
> [+0] Ted Leung

I'm all for it...+1. I'd like to see a stronger scripting language (Perl,
Python, Tcl etc) presence in XML Apache anyway. I've also followed Matt
Sergeant since he popped up on Perl lists and started doing neat stuff, and I