Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> on 2007/03/11 23:21:08 UTC

Release Update

Hi folks,

We're getting to the point that I think we're closing in on our next
release. So I'd like to recap the big issues that are outstanding that I
see:

- WS-Security & SecureConversation & Trust - I would really really like to
see us be able to support this for interop with WCF.
- Tooling refactoring
  (this includes cleanup of java2wsdl in runtime, I want to see wsdl
generation using the service model from our service factories before a
release)
- JAX-WS TCK Testing (see below)
- CXF-28: Nice XML - we should finish moving away from our property editors
to spring 2.0 handlers
- We have no service routing story or examples
- schema duplication in common/metacode?
- Other open JIRAs

We are also in BIG need of documentation. Specifically:
- Using Spring 2.0 config syntax
- HTTP Transport
- WS-RM
- WS-Policy
- XFire migration docs
- Using Aegis databinding
- Using WSDL2Java & Java2WSDL in Maven & Ant

At this point I see the following features probably being pushed to 2.1:
- WSDL 2.0 support
- XMLBeans support (this may or may not be possible to integrate in as part
of the Aegis module, the big question is tooling - any volunteers?)
- Any other WS-* work

Re: JAX-WS - Can someone do some legwork and check if Apache will let us do
a 2.0 final release without passing the TCK? Then we can focus on passing
the TCK for 2.1. This would involve starting a discussion on
general@incubator. If we are positioning ourselves as just a JAX-WS
implementation I can see how they wouldn't let us do release. But I think
there are a lot of uses which don't center around JAX-WS that we focus on.
For instance, there are a lot of XFire users who aren't using the JAX-WS
features and so I would like to get them migrating ASAP so I can consolidate
bug fixes in one place. As long as we're clear that compliance is not
claimed we should be ok.

What other items do people see?

I think we should target starting a vote by March 30th, but we have a fair
amount to do before then I think you can see. Please claim any JIRA issues
you intend to tackle so its easier to see who is planning on working on
what. I'm incredibly excited to get a new release out. CXF is looking great
and its time for the world to really start using it!

(BTW, I am focusing in on the security specifications this week unless
someone else wants to volunteer. I could definitely spend some more time on
routing or Aegis instead)

- Dan
--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: Release Update

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Just saw that you have a page in the wiki:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/WS-Policy+Framework

Cool :-) One suggestion, you might want to put that in the CXF20DOC wiki
under the developer section as opposed the CXF wiki.

Regards,
- Dan

On 3/15/07, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > features and so I would like to get them migrating ASAP so I can
> > > consolidate
> > > bug fixes in one place. As long as we're clear that compliance is not
> > > claimed we should be ok.
> > >
> > > What other items do people see?
> > >
> > > I think we should target starting a vote by March 30th, but we have a
> > > fair
> > > amount to do before then I think you can see. Please claim any JIRA
> > > issues
> > > you intend to tackle so its easier to see who is planning on working
> > on
> > > what. I'm incredibly excited to get a new release out. CXF is looking
> > > great
> > > and its time for the world to really start using it!
> > >
> > > (BTW, I am focusing in on the security specifications this week unless
> >
> > > someone else wants to volunteer. I could definitely spend some more

Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: Release Update

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: Release Update

Posted by Andrea Smyth <an...@iona.com>.
Hi Dan,

Re: Release Update

Posted by Bozhong Lin <bl...@iona.com>.
FYI, I just posted any email to Apache general mailing list regarding to
JAX-WS TCK thing.

Cheers,
Bo

Re: Release Update

Posted by James Mao <ja...@iona.com>.
Hi,
> - Tooling refactoring
>  (this includes cleanup of java2wsdl in runtime, I want to see wsdl
> generation using the service model from our service factories before a
> release)
FYI, We already use the runtime service factory to generate the wsdl in
java2wsdl tool in tools2
> - Using WSDL2Java & Java2WSDL in Maven & Ant
We do have maven plugin and ant macro to do the wsdl2java, but we don't
have the plugin/macro to do the java2wsdl

Cheers,
James.

Re: The implementation of a simple service routing. WAS: RE: Release Update

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Nice work Jervis.

I think we both share a lot of the same concerns about this approach. Some
thoughts:

1. From a CXF point of view an address is typically associated with one
service/endpoint. It seems odd to require people to register each service on
a different endpoint and then have another endpoint which routes between
them. From a conceptual point of view a user wants to associate multiple
services with a single endpoint. Or, in your example, what if the user just
wants to expose the http://localhost:9027/SoapContext/SoapPort endpoint and
not  http://localhost:9027/SoapContext1/SoapPort?

I guess there are a few ways around this. The simplest would be to use some
kind of local service transport which the mediation interceptor could route
with.
Endpoint.publish("service://service1", service1);
Endpoint.publish("service://service2", service2);
Endpoint.publish("http://localhost/myService", routingService);

There is also the means that I outlined in that email that you linked to in
your previous email.

2. Complexity - I think this one is easier to fix. We can create helper
classes to set up the routing. For instance something like this:

XPathRoutingServerFactory service = new XPathRoutingServerFactory();
service.route("/foo/service1', "service://service1");
service.route("/foo/service2', "service://service2");
service.setAddress("http://localhost/myService");
Server server = service.create();

Or it could use Camel (which is looking very cool btw).

Maybe we can a look at making our 1:1 association with Endpoints and
addresses a little looser as I think that would be conceptually a lot
better. I don't really know what all this entails though. I'll try to take a
look into it the next two days.

- Dan

On 3/23/07, Liu, Jervis <jl...@iona.com> wrote:

> Hi, I've been experimenting a bit on the service routing lately, the
> result has been put on the wiki:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF20DOC/Service+Routing. So it
> works ((I will check in a system test shortly), my main concern though, is
> that this implementation does not seem to be very "simple", it does require
> a fair amount of knowledge of CXF internal. Not sure if it is appropriate to
> expose this to CXF userland. Anyway, I am open to any comments&suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
> Jervis

Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

The implementation of a simple service routing. WAS: RE: Release Update

Posted by "Liu, Jervis" <jl...@iona.com>.

Re: Release Update

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

RE: Release Update

Posted by "Liu, Jervis" <jl...@iona.com>.

Re: Release Update

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Hi Jervis,

I wanted to ensure that we can setup an endpoint on a URL and route to
different services based on headers (such as ws-a) or other logic.  I made a
series of proposals about how to do this a while back, but I don't think we
ever came to any concrete conclusion.

My main motivation for want to get this in before the release is that I feel
it might change our APIs or their behavior.

- Dan

On 3/14/07, Liu, Jervis <jl...@iona.com> wrote:

> Hi, I have some free time this month and I can pick up either the XML
> Catalogs story (provide a more complete support for XML Catalogs, which is
> part of our JAX-WS compliance stories) or I can start working on the service
> routing story first as Dan has listed below, if we think the service routing
> is a more important feature for this release. Dan, could you please
> elaborate on the details of service routing, like the requirement and
> expectation for this release. I presume its something related  to XFire
> service routing migration, right? Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
> Jervis

Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions