Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by yaussy <ya...@cboe.com> on 2006/03/27 16:17:27 UTC

Broker performance with Durable topics

I've started to check into performance aspects of the broker with regards to
sending messages on durable topics.  While non-durable messages perform
quite well, with high throughput, I'm concerned about durable messages.

Using the supplied ConsumerTool and ProducerTool, I am sending about 50/sec
on a durable topic.  I can get that amount, but the CPU usage of the Brokers
seem exorbitant.

I am using the journaledJDBC persistence adapter.  The publishing broker is
running on a Solaris 8 machine with 8 CPUs at 900mhz.  The consuming broker
is running on a Sol 8 machine with 8 CPUs at 1.89ghz.

When running non-durable, 50/sec, the Broker CPU barely registers (< 1%
usage).  However, when running with a durable topic, the CPU of the
publishing broker is about 40%, while the consumer broker is about 20%
(accounted for by the difference in CPU power).

Is this what you would expect?  Btw: If I change to memory persistence, the
brokers run as they do when using non-durable topics.