Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2002/10/21 15:41:41 UTC

RE: AvalonMailRepository key generation

Hi Kwirirai,

Nice to hear from someone from Zimbabwe, I have a friend who lives near Chegutu.

As I understand it James encodes the mail UID, which is generated by the programme used to create the mail, James uses JavaMail to create messages.
I suspect that the specification for this UID will state the limits of uniqueness required, but I assume it will be something like "unique in the world" because mail moves from machine to machine.

I believe that Mail clients rely on this UID and POP3's UIDL command in "leave messages on the server" functionality, to prevent mail being downloaded twice and so on.

d.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
If you are refering to the oddly labeled files in the file store
directories, look at them as hex strings.  I'm attaching a small test
program to illustrate the point.

	--- Noel