Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org> on 2005/05/21 02:27:30 UTC

More build problems with Subversion 1.2

I was a competent software engineer earlier today... but now I'm
doubting myself.  It seems that Subversion 1.2.x fails to build "out
of the box" on my SuSE 9.1 Linux installation in addition to the OS X
issues mentioned earlier.

I checked out a fresh copy of the 1.2.x branch...

 > ./autogen.sh

 > ./configure

[claims it won't build with BDB support - that's fine.]

 > make

cd subversion/libsvn_subr && /bin/sh /home/scottpalmer/dev/
subversion1.2/libtool --tag=CC --silent --mode=link gcc  -g -O2   -g -
Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -
pthread  -DNEON_ZLIB   -rpath /usr/local/lib -o libsvn_subr-1.la
auth.lo cmdline.lo config.lo config_auth.lo config_file.lo
config_win.lo ctype.lo date.lo error.lo hash.lo io.lo lock.lo md5.lo
opt.lo path.lo pool.lo quoprint.lo sorts.lo stream.lo subst.lo
svn_base64.lo svn_string.lo target.lo time.lo utf.lo utf_validate.lo
validate.lo version.lo xml.lo /usr/lib/libaprutil-0.la  -lgdbm -
ldb-4.2 -lexpat /usr/lib/libapr-0.la -lrt -lm -lcrypt -lnsl  -
lpthread -ldl
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/
bin/ld: cannot find -lgdbm
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr-1.la] Error 1

So I have to wonder how things were "worse" before this autoconf
thing. :-)

The procedure appears to be quite unreliable.  I've had it "just
work" when compiling 1.1.x, but now the fact that it goes through all
that hoopla only to fail is a tad depressing.

Scott

P.S.  I'm not currently subscribed to the dev list, so please include
me in your replies.

Re: More build problems with Subversion 1.2

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On May 20, 2005, at 11:36 PM, John Szakmeister wrote:

> Scott Palmer wrote:
>
>> Ben specifically asked me to post it to the dev list.  :( ???
>> I did get the same solution from the users list. I assume the
>> reason  to
>> post it here would be to try to fix the autoconf issue that lead
>> it to
>> miss this dependency?
>>

> I didn't realize that.  That's okay then. :-)  Are you using the in-
> tree
>  apr, SuSE's version of apr, or did you build and install apr and
> apr-util yourself?  If you're using SuSE's apr, then I don't see
> anything wrong.  It looks like you just need to install the gdbm-devel
> package as apr-util depends on it.

I posted the commands I used, no arguments to anything, just "svn co
url_to_1.2.x subversion", "./autogen.sh", "./configure", "make".  I
did nothing special to specify which version of apr to use.  It looks
like it picked SuSE's version.
When I last built 1.1 I must have gone through the INSTALL file in
more detail and downloaded a specific version of APR and neon to the
subversion folder.  I'm getting mixed up between what I've done on my
Mac verses my Linux box.  I think I may have just missed a step
setting up APR.

I will try again tomorrow... it's far too late and I'm far too tired
to get anything right at the moment. :-)

Scott

Re: More build problems with Subversion 1.2

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
Scott Palmer wrote:
> Ben specifically asked me to post it to the dev list.  :( ???
> I did get the same solution from the users list. I assume the reason  to
> post it here would be to try to fix the autoconf issue that lead  it to
> miss this dependency?

I didn't realize that.  That's okay then. :-)  Are you using the in-tree
 apr, SuSE's version of apr, or did you build and install apr and
apr-util yourself?  If you're using SuSE's apr, then I don't see
anything wrong.  It looks like you just need to install the gdbm-devel
package as apr-util depends on it.

-John

Re: More build problems with Subversion 1.2

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
Scott Palmer wrote:
> I was a competent software engineer earlier today... but now I'm
> doubting myself.  It seems that Subversion 1.2.x fails to build "out  of
> the box" on my SuSE 9.1 Linux installation in addition to the OS X
> issues mentioned earlier.
>
> I checked out a fresh copy of the 1.2.x branch...
>
>> ./autogen.sh
>
>> ./configure
>
> [claims it won't build with BDB support - that's fine.]
>
>> make

> cd subversion/libsvn_subr && /bin/sh /home/scottpalmer/dev/
> subversion1.2/libtool --tag=CC --silent --mode=link gcc  -g -O2   -g -
> Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -
> pthread  -DNEON_ZLIB   -rpath /usr/local/lib -o libsvn_subr-1.la
> auth.lo cmdline.lo config.lo config_auth.lo config_file.lo
> config_win.lo ctype.lo date.lo error.lo hash.lo io.lo lock.lo md5.lo
> opt.lo path.lo pool.lo quoprint.lo sorts.lo stream.lo subst.lo
> svn_base64.lo svn_string.lo target.lo time.lo utf.lo utf_validate.lo
> validate.lo version.lo xml.lo /usr/lib/libaprutil-0.la  -lgdbm - ldb-4.2
> -lexpat /usr/lib/libapr-0.la -lrt -lm -lcrypt -lnsl  - lpthread -ldl
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/
> bin/ld: cannot find -lgdbm
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr-1.la] Error 1
>
> So I have to wonder how things were "worse" before this autoconf  thing.
> :-)
>
> The procedure appears to be quite unreliable.  I've had it "just  work"
> when compiling 1.1.x, but now the fact that it goes through all  that
> hoopla only to fail is a tad depressing.

It looks like you aren't using the in-tree apr, but the one installed on
your system.  SuSE's default apr packages are built against gdbm, so it
becomes a dependency when building mod_dav_svn.  Install the gdbm-devel
package and you should be good to go. :-)