Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com> on 2015/11/02 10:24:05 UTC

Re: snapshot.backup.rightafter parameter problem for RBD Storage

Hi Özhan,

to my knowledge (list members please correct me if I¹m wrong) the KVM HA
data will be stored on primary storage even when you use Ceph/RBD, not on
secondary storage NFS. I would also guess that it uses the first primary
storage pool added for this. I am not aware of any way to define where the
KVMHA folder is created.

You can add multiple secondary storage NFS servers - but there is no way
to control where snapshots are written.

All in all it sounds to me like you need to make sure your network
connectivity can handle the storage load, i.e. segregate primary storage
traffic, secondary storage traffic and management traffic to ensure I/O
bottlenecks don¹t take your CloudStack infrastructure offline.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect

On 30/10/2015, 09:08, "Özhan Rüzgar Karaman" <or...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi Dag;
>If this is the design then lets accept it, normally i don't need this
>backup copy progress but :))
>
>I have some questions, if you could answer that would be perfect :)
>
>* Is it possible to define 2 different, separate NFS volumes, one for
>KVMHA
>health check and one to store the snapshot volumes? I do not want to put
>all data on one NFS server, because i am aware that if NFS volume goes
>slowly then it could create problems on HA health check process.
>
>* Are there any global parameters that i could set/choose where HA health
>check data is written and where snapshot backup data it written, if there
>is a parameter like this i like to use it. I need to define where each
>data
>is going.
>
>* On agent site which script handles this snapshot progress, maybe i like
>to modify it to reflect my needs on KVM side. I am aware that it could
>break something but i like to check the code for its deep details.
>
>Regards
>Özhan
>

>On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Dag Sonstebo
><Da...@shapeblue.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Hi Özhan,
>>
>> this is by design, the idea being you take a snapshot which you can then
>> download if you require (the same goes for templates you create). To
>>allow
>> downloads the snapshot requires to be accessible from the SSVM, I.e. it
>> has to be copied to secondary storage.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dag Sonstebo
>> Cloud Architect
>>

>> On 29/10/2015, 19:54, "Özhan Rüzgar Karaman" <or...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi;
>> >My ACS version is 4.5.2. I am testing snapshot feature of ACS for my
>> >volumes. I am using Ceph/Rbd as primary storage. I like to get snapshot
>> >copy of my volume which is at Ceph Storage. ACS takes snapshot
>> >successfully
>> >on Ceph Storage but after that it copies snapshot file to Secondary NFS
>> >Storage.
>> >
>> >I find a parameter that disables this copy progress
>> >like snapshot.backup.rightafter i set it false and restart management
>> >server but it has no effect and ACS again copies taken snapshot file to
>> >secondary storage.
>> >
>> >I checked Jira and i find that this parameter does not exist any more.
>> >
>> >https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-4858
>> >
>> >So did anyone find a way to operate this parameter or disable this copy
>> >snapshot process to secondary storage, it takes too much time and from
>>my
>> >perspective its unnecessary for me.
>> >
>> >I checked mailing list but i could not find any answer so i decided to
>>ask
>> >mailing list.
>> >
>> >Thanks for all replies.
> [...]

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.