Posted to dev@tajo.apache.org by Yu Dongmin <mi...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/22 12:19:10 UTC

Tajo C++ worker

Hello,

I'm very glad to hear that Tajo is getting stable and production ready.

Here's another news. Some of us might have have seen some Hyunsik's presentations commenting about an experimental project, c++ tajo worker.

Recently, I've been working on the c++ worker, even though it is a little bit far from behind schedule than what I expected,
it is able to communicate with Tajo Master and Query Master successfully.

This is never a replacement of Java worker, but an exchangeable worker. We could use Java workers as is, C++ workers only, or mixed workers.

It is designed as a vectorized execution engine hoping to process certain types of data structures very efficiently.

These are the supported features right now.

- Reading and parsing csv files in the hadoop data node.
- Filtering rows within LLVM code generated evaluation
- Simple scalar functions
- Simple group by aggregation functions

Now I'm working on 'order by' clause and doing profiling to get expected performance.

Working on these stuffs, I hope community to allow creating a new git branch, say native_worker, cplus_worker or a nicer name, to make this project together.

There's still a long way to go on this project, but it could be improved with help of the Tajo community.

Thanks
Min

Re: Tajo C++ worker

Posted by Jinho Kim <ji...@gmail.com>.
His first name is Dongmin. HaHa

Thank you! For your great work!

--Jinho
Best regards

Re: Tajo C++ worker

Posted by Jihoon Son <gh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yu,

Re: Tajo C++ worker

Posted by JaeHwa Jung <jh...@gruter.com>.
Awesome!

Thanks guys.
Your contributions will improve tajo more powerful. :)

2014/1/23 Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>

> Hi Yu,
>
> Thank you for your contribution. I have been looking forward to seeing
> this work. Could you submit a patch to proper issues or create a jira?
> We will create a new branch for that after review.
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Some of us know Yu in offline. After the discussion early this year,
> he has mostly worked on Tajo C++ worker. I also contributed a small
> part about JIT code generation via LLVM, and participated in the
> design. Another contributor, Hyoung Jun, also contributed some module.
> Its main objective is to build a high performance query engine to
> maximize hardware utilization by using SIMD and cache conscious
> algorithm. It is under heavy development. As he mentioned, it would be
> a long journey for the future.
>
> - hyunsik
>
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:19 PM, Yu Dongmin <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm very glad to hear that Tajo is getting stable and production ready.
> >
> > Here's another news. Some of us might have have seen some Hyunsik's
> presentations commenting about an experimental project, c++ tajo worker.
> >

> > Recently, I've been working on the c++ worker, even though it is a
> little bit far from behind schedule than what I expected,
> > it is able to communicate with Tajo Master and Query Master successfully.
> >
> > This is never a replacement of Java worker, but an exchangeable worker.
> We could use Java workers as is, C++ workers only, or mixed workers.
> >
> > It is designed as a vectorized execution engine hoping to process
> certain types of data structures very efficiently.
> >
> > These are the supported features right now.
> >
> > - Reading and parsing csv files in the hadoop data node.
> > - Filtering rows within LLVM code generated evaluation
> > - Simple scalar functions
> > - Simple group by aggregation functions
> >
> > Now I'm working on 'order by' clause and doing profiling to get expected
> performance.
> >
> > Working on these stuffs, I hope community to allow creating a new git
> branch, say native_worker, cplus_worker or a nicer name, to make this
> project together.
> >

> > There's still a long way to go on this project, but it could be improved
> with help of the Tajo community.
> >

> > Thanks
> > Min

Jaehwa Jung