Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> on 2007/07/11 02:32:45 UTC

Continuum and minimum JDK requirement

Hello guys,

we had an issue recently with Continuum on Cocoon and continuous integration
which fails to check JDK 1.4 compliance of Cocoon's code base since Continuum
itself is running with a JDK 5 (in that particular case it was usage of
ThreadLocal.remove() [1]). I found the thread about raising the minimum JDK for
Continuum where exactly such issues where foreseen [2]. Brett talked about the
possibility to fork builds with Continuum [3]. Is that how Maven assures 1.4
compatibility running its Continuum? Or how do you assure it? Putting it to the
extremes there might even be a JDK 1.4 project using "enum" keyword which should
be build with Continuum. If the latter requires JDK 5 is it possible though to
build that project?

Thanks for any hint,

Joerg

[1] http://marc.info/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=118115701130207&w=4
[2] http://marc.info/?t=115223635400001&r=1&w=4, in particular Steven's mail
http://marc.info/?l=turbine-maven-dev&m=115227611406486&w=4
[3] http://marc.info/?l=turbine-maven-dev&m=115518652524872&w=4

Re: Continuum and minimum JDK requirement

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Emmanuel Venisse <emmanuel <at> venisse.net> writes:

> >> Brett talked about the possibility to fork builds with Continuum [3].
> >
> > Continuum always forks builds. However, controlling the JDK it used was
> > not easy. I do believe profiles support will be in the next release and
> > will make it easy.
>
> Yes, it will be in Continuum 1.1-beta-1. With Profiles/Installations, you can
> choose the jdk, maven and environment var to use for a build.

Thanks all very much for the information. It's good to know that it is
available. Now we only need to get it installed in our zone.

Regards,
Joerg

Re: Continuum and minimum JDK requirement

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Posted by Christian Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
Dear God, I am so happy to hear that.  I swear, I wish I had more
time to track this and contribute, but I'm really really impressed by
this whole team and the progression of this product over the last
year or so.

Christian.

On Jul 10, 2007, at 10:42 PM, Jesse McConnell wrote:

> just fyi, we are working on getting that profile enabled version
> released in the next couple of weeks
>
> jesse

christian gruber + cgruber@israfil.net + mob 410.900.0796 + mob2
416.998.6023
process coach and architect + ISRÁFÍL CONSULTING SERVICES

Re: Continuum and minimum JDK requirement

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

On 7/10/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 11/07/2007, at 10:32 AM, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > we had an issue recently with Continuum on Cocoon and continuous
> > integration
> > which fails to check JDK 1.4 compliance of Cocoon's code base since
> > Continuum
> > itself is running with a JDK 5 (in that particular case it was
> > usage of
> > ThreadLocal.remove() [1]). I found the thread about raising the
> > minimum JDK for
> > Continuum where exactly such issues where foreseen [2].
>
> The binding problem is a relatively small number of cases that can
> probably be avoided in your code. Accidentally using JDK 5 methods is
> something that comes up frequently and you should certainly regularly
> build on 1.4 to check.
>
> > Brett talked about the
> > possibility to fork builds with Continuum [3].
>
> Continuum always forks builds. However, controlling the JDK it used
> was not easy. I do believe profiles support will be in the next
> release and will make it easy.
>
> > Putting it to the
> > extremes there might even be a JDK 1.4 project using "enum" keyword
> > which should
> > be build with Continuum. If the latter requires JDK 5 is it
> > possible though to
> > build that project?
>
> Setting the correct -source will take care of that.
>
> - Brett

jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Re: Continuum and minimum JDK requirement

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.