Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by rstaats <bo...@staats.me> on 2020/02/22 06:03:09 UTC

Black box for cursor with xRDP and VNC when using Chrome Only

I have a weird issue that I'm not sure is a Guacamole problem. I'm hoping
maybe someone else has seen this too or has an idea of what the problem may
be.

Only with Chrome in the special case noted below, when I start typing in the
Guac session in a text editor, xTerm, etc, any application that accepts
text, the cursor changes into a small black box. When I move the cursor it
goes back to normal. But start typing again and the cursor is back to being
a black box.

This problem only happens with Chrome. Using Firefox and Edge it works fine,
no black box when typing. I can have the exact same session open
simultaneously, side by side, on Chrome, Edge, and Firefox and only when
typing in the Chrome  window does the cursor/black box issue occur. The
black box/cursor problem is never seen in the Edge and Firefox windows.

I am using Guacamole 1.0.0 (and tested with 1.1.0 too) and access a CentOS 7
VM that is running Gnome-Shell. I have configured TigerVNC and xRDP on the
CentOS system and have configured 3 access methods.

1) xRDP with Xorg
2) xRDP with VNC (Using libvnc.so from TigerVNC) xRDP connects to VNC port
5900 to show the X desktop.
3) VNC directly into X desktop (Using libvnc.so from TigerVNC) Just connect
directly to port 5900 to see the X desktop.

*Using Guacamole*
1) Guac using RDP --> xRDP with Xorg is fine, cursor does not change when
typing.
2) Guac using VNC --> Direct VNC to desktop is fine, cursor does not change
when typing.
3) Guac using RDP --> xRDP with VNC (connecting to the exact same VNC used
in Example 2 above) - *Issue* - Cursor changes to black box when typing but
just for Chrome. Firefox and Edge work fine.

I have tested this with multiple client computers connecting to the Guac
session. All work fine for Firefox and Edge and all have the issue with
Chrome.

Guac using RDP to a Windows system is fine, no problem seen in any of the
browsers.

Essentially the problem only occurs with xRDP using VNC and only for the
Chrome browser, which is the weird thing to me. I could understand if all
browsers  exhibited this issue, it would mean an xRDP/VNC issue, but they
don't, just Chrome.

AW: Black box for cursor with xRDP and VNC when using Chrome Only

Posted by Joachim Lindenberg <jo...@lindenberg.one>.
Hello,
I am also experiencing black boxes for input areas in Chrome, however using
guacamole RDP to windows systems (virtual machines on Hyper-V) only (my
linux vms are servers only). Similar like you, no problems with Firefox. I
tested with Guacamole 1.0 and staging/1.2.0.
No clue though, whether this is a Guacamole or Chrome or other issue.
Best Regards,
Joachim