Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/01 18:47:53 UTC

Wish list for 2007 ?

Ok, this is now 2007 for all the planet, so it's time to set a wish list
for ADS.

Here is mine :
1) A better site.
2) A better doco. (Stefan  and Christine are working on it)
3) Fully dynamic schemas
4) Rock-solid multi-master replication
5) Two times faster server

I stopped at 5 items, so it's up to you to add your own list !

Thanks to all the team, especially to Alex, who started the server 5
years ago !

Thanks to all the patient users, for all their contributions and
suggestions.

And let's 2007 be a new year of great job and improvment for ADS !

Emmanuel

Re: Wish list for 2007 ?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Note that this is for ADS and not Tsec or LDAP Studio.  Perhaps we
should elaborate on those separately.

Alex

Re: Wish list for 2007 ?

Posted by Tino Schwarze <ap...@tisc.de>.
On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 11:35:43AM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
> >1) A better site.
> >2) A better doco. (Stefan  and Christine are working on it)
> >3) Fully dynamic schemas
> >4) Rock-solid multi-master replication
> >5) Two times faster server
>
> 6) A headless install process so I can install it on
> ldap.zones.apache.org and see us start eating our own dog food :)

IzPack can do headless installs - you just need to save an autoinstall
XML in the last panel (maybe this is currently disabled, haven't seen
the ApacheDS installer yet). Then you can install headless by calling
"java -jar your-installer.jar autoinstall.xml"

HTH,

Tino.

--
www.quantenfeuerwerk.de
www.spiritualdesign-chemnitz.de

Re: Wish list for 2007 ?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> 1) A better site.
> 2) A better doco. (Stefan  and Christine are working on it)
> 3) Fully dynamic schemas
> 4) Rock-solid multi-master replication
> 5) Two times faster server

6) A headless install process so I can install it on
ldap.zones.apache.org and see us start eating our own dog food :)

Regards,
Graham

Re: Wish list for 2007 ?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
You picked the 5 that I would have listed :).  I'm 100% with you on these.

Regards,
Alex

Re: Wish list for 2007 ?

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
I just want it to be as fast as possible, but not
faster :-)

Would be cool to have a core performance concerns wiki
like area and a complementary testing area that builds
on the performance Test work Alex already put in.  The
goal would be to have ApacheDS approach the
Theoretical Limit on speed.  So that would have to be
defined.  Then the gap analyzed, and broken into
Cookbook challenges, so that they can be easily
addressed one by one.

Personally I would love to be able to write these
things as individual template documents, upload them
to Subversion, and invoke a process that pulls the
docs into something like an Eclipse Help Center.

I'm working on this here and there, but I'm still
finishing the JPackage stuff.  I'm hoping I'll to get
that out the door this week!

OK - Lets Rock!

http://mail.yahoo.com