Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Gary Malouf <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/09 00:41:29 UTC

Mesos fails to start - no logs appear to be written

I've run been running a mesos cluster for about a month in our staging
environment without issue.  Today, I tried to compile and install a cluster
in production using the same build process we did for staging but have run
into issues getting it to run from the install location.  We have the
log_dir parameter set to /var/log/mesos but no data is showing up in there
or in /tmp when I run the sbin/start-mesos-cluster.sh scripts.

To be clear, I am able to run masters and slaves from the directory I built
the code in but the install location seems to have issues.

Two questions:

1) What are the recommended strategies for debugging an install?

2) Any other places where the logs could be showing up?

Thanks for the help.

Gary

Re: Mesos fails to start - no logs appear to be written

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>.
Could you provide the following:

1. How are you installing mesos?
2. How are you starting the master / slave?
3. Can you provide the slave logs?

I'm also unfamiliar with the start-mesos-cluster.sh scripts, I don't see
those in master, what release are running?

Thanks!
Ben

Posted by Charles Reiss <wo...@gmail.com>.
On 7/8/13 15:41 , Gary Malouf wrote:
> I've run been running a mesos cluster for about a month in our staging
> environment without issue.  Today, I tried to compile and install a cluster
> in production using the same build process we did for staging but have run
> into issues getting it to run from the install location.  We have the
> log_dir parameter set to /var/log/mesos but no data is showing up in there
> or in /tmp when I run the sbin/start-mesos-cluster.sh scripts.
>
> To be clear, I am able to run masters and slaves from the directory I built
> the code in but the install location seems to have issues.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) What are the recommended strategies for debugging an install?
>
> 2) Any other places where the logs could be showing up?

The mesos-daemon.sh script redirects stdout/err to /dev/null, which is
probably a mistake. Try modifying that to redirect them to a useful file.

- Charles

Fwd: Mesos fails to start - no logs appear to be written

Posted by Gary Malouf <ma...@gmail.com>.
Not sure which address is working at the moment.

Posted by Gary Malouf <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ben for the link.  The issue was not that the library was not in the
on the path/configured.  I checked my /etc/ld.so.conf:

include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
/usr/local/lib

and the location is definitely there.  What needs to happen after install
is that 'ldconfig' needs to be run to update the '/etc/ld.so.cache' to see
the mesos library.  Everything works after that command is run.  I tried
reading the configure help but was not sure anything would tell 'make
install' to run this after it completes.

-Gary

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>.
This may help:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4743233/is-usr-local-lib-searched-for-shared-libraries