Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Asad Chaudhary <ac...@utrc2.org> on 2003/07/03 18:27:00 UTC

[users@httpd] Occasional 120-second delay in responding to first request (2.0.46 / Windows 2000)

  Hi:
I've looked at potential solutions for my problem on Google and through
the Apache list archives to no avail.
Here's the setup: a Windows 2000 Advanced Server machine running Apache
2.0.46, serving a currently static website.  The server has 2 network
cards; it acts as a bridge (but not firewall, all our IPs are globally
addressable) between our office LAN and the university network /
Internet at large.  Certain users, including myself, not all, have an
annoying problem when accessing the website from outside the office LAN:
on typing in the URL for any page on the site, the browser will resolve
the hostname successfully but then experience a 120 second (every time
I've remembered to time it, it's been exactly 2 minutes) delay in
to be responding at full speed.  Subsequent page loads do not have this
issue.  Looking at the access log, the server is only handling one, two
or a maximum of 3 sessions at the same time; this is not enough of a
load to be a performance issue.  Our box is a 500 MHz Xeon with 1 Gb of
RAM and SCSI RAID for storage.
Apache is NOT set to do reverse lookups for logging purposes, I've
verified this from my log files.  Unless I'm mistaken, my tests
(detailed as follows) confirm that this is not a DNS issue, nor is it a
performance problem with the university networks' gateway to the Internet.
I've got Ipswitch's IMail Server providing webmail service, and open
POP3 and SMTP ports; there is never any kind of performance issue with
those services, no matter where they are being accessed from.  I've also
tried setting Apache to listen to alternate ports as well as 80,
including temporarily the one used by webmail; all ports exhibit the
same issues when used with Apache.  There is no virtual hosting, or any
other network card-specific configuration: my Listen directives specify
only port 80.  I've also recorded the times / IP addresses I use when I
experience this problem from home, and checked the access and error logs
for any information.  The access log reports normal activity for the
session, and there are no corresponding entries in the error log.
Any ideas?
Asad A. Chaudhary
Intern
University Transportation Research Center
City College of New York
achaudhary@utrc2.org
http://www.utrc2.org/

Re: [users@httpd] Occasional 120-second delay in responding to first request (2.0.46 / Windows 2000)

Posted by "BBF Tech. Support" <te...@bbfprinting.com>.
I had that same problem when setting up a firewall on my email server and it was a DNS issue.

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 07:12:50 +0200, Robert Andersson wrote:

>Asad Chaudhary wrote:
>> ... but then experience a 120 second (every time I've remembered to
>> time it, it's been exactly 2 minutes) delay in loading the first page.
>> [snip]
>> Apache is NOT set to do reverse lookups for logging purposes, ...
>
>It do sound like Apache attempts some action which times out after 120 s. I
>understand that this delay is experienced by each unique client when doing
>its first request, right? A failed reverse DNS loopup is the only thing that
>comes to mind that would fit that.
>
>A debugging tip: On low-traffic time, setup a sniffer (eg. Ethereal) and
>launch a request from a client predicted to experience the delay and save
>the packages during the delay. Then, find the client's request packet(s) and
>note information like its IP address, and see if you can find any subsequent
>traffic that might be related to the request. In particular, look for any
>outbound DNS requests. Don't rule out a DNS issue even though you don't find
>anything!
>
>If the above test come out negative, it may be due to a broken configuration
>or system, depending on something that isn't available [anymore]. Try to
>install a parallell Apache with vanilla configuration, and see if it suffers
>the same problems.
>
>I'm out of ideas.
>
>Regards,
>Robert Andersson

Allan L. Stephan (Al)
Director ITS
BBF
Largo, FL
OS/2 loves ya baby!

Re: [users@httpd] Occasional 120-second delay in responding to first request (2.0.46 / Windows 2000)

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
Hello Asad,

I'm experiencing almost the same problem, but it's only when accessing pages
that are being proxied with SSL on the same system specs. just my RAM is
512MB.

Anyhow, you mentioned that you are using Win2K AD Server, check that the QoS
service is not enabled on the system, NICs or services, we had somebody here
that had something similar to your occasion.
Also, if you are using a Cisco 2600 router make sure to update your IOS to
12.1 or up, I had to do it to one of my clients to get Apache working
properly, it used to time-out sometimes.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen
Support@GEJ-IT.com
Tel. (416) 917-2324
www.GEJ-IT.com
GEJ-IT Networks!

I've looked at potential solutions for my problem on Google and through the
Apache list archives to no avail.
Here's the setup: a Windows 2000 Advanced Server machine running Apache
2.0.46, serving a currently static website.  The server has 2 network cards;
it acts as a bridge (but not firewall, all our IPs are globally addressable)
between our office LAN and the university network / Internet at large.
Certain users, including myself, not all, have an annoying problem when
accessing the website from outside the office LAN: on typing in the URL for
any page on the site, the browser will resolve the hostname successfully but
then experience a 120 second (every time I've remembered to time it, it's
been exactly 2 minutes) delay in loading the first page.  Once the page
starts loading, the server seems to be responding at full speed.  Subsequent