Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Nikhil Goyal <no...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/02 02:16:34 UTC

Is Kafka 8 user compatible with kafka 10 broker?

Hi guys,

I created a new cluster with kafka 10 broker. I have the following settings
in server properties file:

inter.broker.protocol.version=0.10.0.0
message.format.version=0.10.0
log.message.format.version=0.10.0

When I try to read from old console consumer it still succeeds. Online
documents say old consumer is not compatible as long as message format
version is not set to 0.8.0. So I wanted to ask if I made a mistake
somewhere in the server_properties or if this is the expected behavior?

Thanks
Nikhil

Re: Is Kafka 8 user compatible with kafka 10 broker?

Posted by Gerard Klijs <ge...@dizzit.com>.
I think, but don't know for sure, it doesn't matter for consumers, since
the messages you read are still 'old' images. I would expect errors van you
use an old producer, and/or when consuming the record from the old producer.