Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/31 14:01:40 UTC

Apache hardware (Was: How to start from here?)

Hi,

On 1/6/07, Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com> wrote:
> Geir, what hardware to we have available from Apache on which to run
> builds and tests?  How do other teams handle testing resources?

The ASF has a Sun Fire V40z server that many projects use for nightly
builds, continuous integration tests, and other automated processes.
The server is partitioned into a number of Solaris zones, one for each
project. See http://www.apache.org/dev/solaris-zones.html for more
details.

The zones server is definitely not up to running extensive test suites
like the 300k tests/100 machines/2 weeks example you mentioned, but it
should be quite enough for running at least standard nightly builds
and unit tests for River.

On 1/8/07, Jim Hurley <Ji...@sun.com> wrote:
> We (Sun) have some testing/hardware resources that we
> could probably contribute (it would be more of a short
> term vs. long term thing, though).  For example, if we (Apache
> River) were to complete some bug fixes/rfes in the near term,
> Sun might be able to do some testing to help get out a
> release.

Sounds good to me. The ASF infrastructure team probably isn't too
interested in managing extensive test environments, so it's actually
better if more complex test suites are run on external machinery. It
would be nice if related test scripts and setup documentation were
made available so that other people with enough hardware could
recreate the tests.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Apache hardware (Was: How to start from here?)

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
On Aug 19, 2007, at 1:02 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 8/16/07, Frank Barnaby <Fr...@sun.com> wrote:
>> :
>> :
>
> Using these instructions and a little hacking, I got the jstk build
> working on the Continuum instance on vmbuild1.apache.org.
:

Thanks Phil!  This is awesome.

-Jim

Re: Apache hardware (Was: How to start from here?)

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 8/16/07, Frank Barnaby <Fr...@sun.com> wrote:

> Yes, Ant build scripts are available in the svn source tree.  A set of
> build instructions are also available in the top-level doc directory
> (trunk/jtsk/doc/build.html); however, those instructions were written
> with reference to an end-user installation of the released binary and
> source distribution.  At some point, those instructions will need to
> be updated to reflect inevitable changes in the distribution.
>
> Till then, I'll provide a brief set of instructions here to build the
> sources within an svn repository:
>
>         1) Set JAVA_HOME to the top level of a JDK 1.4 (or later)
>            distribution, and export the environment variable.
>
>         2) Building the jars currently requires access to the
>            prebuilt-outrigger-logstore.jar file, so you'll need to
>            set JINI_HOME to the top-level directory of a Jini 2.1
>            distribution, and export that environment variable.
>
>         3) Set ANT_HOME to the top-level directory of an Ant 1.6.2
>            (or later) distribution, and export that environment
>            variable.
>
>         4) Go into the trunk/jtsk directory and run ant with one or
>            more of the following targets:
>
>                 all (the default)
>                 clean
>                 jars
>                 doc
>                 spec-doc
>
> That should get you started.  Let me know if you have any problems.

Using these instructions and a little hacking, I got the jstk build
working on the Continuum instance on vmbuild1.apache.org.  To
workaround the prebuilt-outrigger-logstore.jar dependency, I created a
"fakeJini" directory in my home there including just a /lib directory
including that jar and set JINI_HOME to point there.  Other than this
hack, everything works directly out of svn.  We should fix the
build_common.xml to eliminate that external dependency and then drop
the "Jini" installation from the "River" profile.  The build is now
set up to run under JDK 1.5 and executes "clean", then "all" and
"jars".  If 1.6 or something else is preferred, let me know and I can
change that.

For now, the build is set up to run on the default schedule, which (I
think) is hourly, but it will not run unless there are changes to svn.
 Notifications (only on failure or error) are set to come to this
list.

Currently, Nigel and Frank are set up with permissions to modify the
River build group.  Other committers who want to work on the CI build
should register at http://vmbuild1.apache.org and then let one of us
know so we can add you to the River group.  Right now, I think I am
the only one who can add environment variable definitions (what
Continuum calls "Profiles" made up of "Installations"), but any group
member can add a build using one of the existing profiles.

Phil

Re: Apache hardware (Was: How to start from here?)

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Frank!

On 8/16/07, Frank Barnaby <Fr...@sun.com> wrote:

> Yes, Ant build scripts are available in the svn source tree.  A set of
> build instructions are also available in the top-level doc directory
> (trunk/jtsk/doc/build.html); however, those instructions were written
> with reference to an end-user installation of the released binary and
> source distribution.  At some point, those instructions will need to
> be updated to reflect inevitable changes in the distribution.
>
> Till then, I'll provide a brief set of instructions here to build the
> sources within an svn repository:
>
>        1) Set JAVA_HOME to the top level of a JDK 1.4 (or later)
>           distribution, and export the environment variable.
>
>        2) Building the jars currently requires access to the
>           prebuilt-outrigger-logstore.jar file, so you'll need to
>           set JINI_HOME to the top-level directory of a Jini 2.1
>           distribution, and export that environment variable.

I assume it is OK to grab and install this on ASF hardware? (I am
thinking of the nightlies here).

>        3) Set ANT_HOME to the top-level directory of an Ant 1.6.2
>           (or later) distribution, and export that environment
>           variable.
>
>        4) Go into the trunk/jtsk directory and run ant with one or
>           more of the following targets:
>
>                all (the default)
>                clean
>                jars
>                doc
>                spec-doc
>
> That should get you started.  Let me know if you have any problems.

Will do.  I will play with this this weekend locally and also see if I
can get things set up on vmbuild1

Phil

Re: Apache hardware (Was: How to start from here?)

Posted by Frank Barnaby <Fr...@Sun.COM>.
[...]

Frank

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks for checking into it, Phil.

There are build scripts in the svn, but it'll probably have to
wait until next week.  Frank Barnaby is the best person to
work on it, and he is on holiday this week.

thanks -Jim

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Ugh.  Sorry, I dropped the ball on this.  Just posted to infra.

Phil

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.