Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by jesse <ch...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/22 18:03:36 UTC

is Apache phoenix reliable enough?

I stumbled on this post:

https://medium.com/@vkrava4/fighting-with-apache-phoenix-secondary-indexes-163495bcb361

and the bug:

 I had a similar very frustrating experience with Phoenix, In addition to
various performance issues, you can found one of my posts about the
reliability issue on the mail-list.

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/231b175fce8811d474cceb1fe270a3dd6b30c9eff2150ac42ddef0dc@%3Cuser.phoenix.apache.org%3E

 just wondering others experience if you could share

Re: is Apache phoenix reliable enough?

Posted by Pedro Boado <pe...@gmail.com>.
My former employer has been running for the last 3 years thousands of
queries per second (with milliseconds response time) scanning thousands of
rows in tables with a few billion rows without further issues. Combined
with an additional write load of a few thousand writes per second. But it
didn't use secondary indexes.

I'd say that Phoenix is not a substitute neither for Oracle (index
integrity, acid, etc.. ) nor Hive (OLAP?). It leans on top of HBase, which
is good doing small-to-medium size range scans over huge datasets under low
latency.

Posted by Jaanai Zhang <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flavio Pompermaier <po...@okkam.it>.

AW: is Apache phoenix reliable enough?

Posted by "Hengesbach, Martin" <Ma...@fiz-Karlsruhe.de>.
No, we haven’t considered it yet. But it looks interesting.

Don’t understand me wrong, I like Phoenix. When it works, it is a great database and meets our requirements. But we didn’t get rid of the problems (and when I look at the answers from Jaanai and Flavio, we are not the only one). We hoped that with Phoenix 5 the problems are reduced, but at the moment it didn’t looks like.

We have not yet searched for alternatives, but are beginning to keep our eyes open.

Posted by jesse <ch...@gmail.com>.