Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Edward Ribeiro <ed...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/27 15:54:17 UTC

QA github pre-commit queue

Dear community,

As part of the github move, we are still lacking the plumbing that allows
to run Jenkins CI tests, etc, on open Pull Requests. Please, take a look at
Kafka pending PR at Github to see what I am referring to.

Any committer could open an INFRA JIRA to address this?

Best regards,
Eddie

Re: [DISCUSS] QA github pre-commit queue

Posted by Flavio P JUNQUEIRA <fp...@apache.org>.
My bad, I made the build parameterized to see if I could trigger it
manually. I have disabled the parameters and should be back to normal now.

-Flavio

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Git PR bot builds

--
Cheers
Michael.

Re: [DISCUSS] QA github pre-commit queue

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org> wrote:

> > On 09 Nov 2016, at 10:39, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > What are the implications of moving away from JIRA patches? Any legal/IP?
> > Also PRs are through github.com, which is not infra owned by Apache.
>
> This is supported by infra:
>
> https://reference.apache.org/pmc/github
>
> > If
> > that service ever goes away we'll lose that information.
>
> Comments on the pull request are currently propagated to the corresponding
> jira. See for example ZOOKEEPER-1525.
>
> > What are other
> > projects doing in this regard?
>
> I'm aware of at least 3 projects: Spark, Kafka, and BookKeeper.
>
> >  Any impact on our workflows outside of
> > qabot? e.g. release other other activity tracking?
>
> Not that I'm aware of. The only difference if we make this change is that
> patch available would be set by our script and the script won't look for a
> patch in the jira.

Sounds reasonable - there are no downsides then?

Patrick

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
What are the implications of moving away from JIRA patches? Any legal/IP?
Also PRs are through github.com, which is not infra owned by Apache. If
that service ever goes away we'll lose that information. What are other
projects doing in this regard?  Any impact on our workflows outside of

Posted by Flavio P JUNQUEIRA <fp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Cheers
Michael.

Re: [DISCUSS] QA github pre-commit queue

Posted by Edward Ribeiro <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raúl Gutiérrez Segalés <rg...@itevenworks.net>.

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.
ZOOKEEPER-2624 has been merged, thank Raul, Ben and Michael for reviewing.

The QA for pull requests should be working for pull requests agains master, but let's keep an eye and polish any rough edges that might still be there.

With ZOOKEEPER-2624 in, there is one last major decision we need to make to wrap this up. The pull request QA currently do not make a jira patch available. This is intentional because making it patch available will trigger the original Jira QA, which will be confusing because we will see a failure (I haven't tested, but I think that's what's going to happen). If we change the script to make the Jira patch available, then we need to either:

1- Disable the Jira QA altogether, which means that we will only have pull request QA available
2- Make the Jira QA script spot that there is a pull request available and not build it.

I'm wondering if folks would be ok with only having patches submitted via pull requests or if we should continue to support the old Jira QA.

Thanks,
-Flavio

Re: QA github pre-commit queue

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edward Ribeiro <ed...@gmail.com>.
My comments below:

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.
I have created ZOOKEEPER-2624 for this and have adapted the existing script to work with the git pull request. Currently, I have a separate script, but there is a lot of duplication, so it sounds very plausible to merge them.

The pull request for the jira has lots of meaningless commits because I was testing my changes. The current state is that I'm able to trigger and produce a report to the jira as we have with the jira QA. If we are to merge these changes in, then I'll close the pull request and resubmit the changes. Feel free to contribute to my changes and suggest a different way in the jira. We can definitely work together on this, I just want to have this working soon.

The script is bash, not python. It doesn't make it patch available mainly because if we make it patch available, then it will trigger the Jira QA, which will find no patch. It is a bit messy to trigger this second build, so I'm reluctant in doing it. I can see two options:

Posted by Edward Ribeiro <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi Flavio,

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Cheers
Michael.

Re: QA github pre-commit queue

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Cheers
Michael.

Re: QA github pre-commit queue

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.
Ok, I have created this queue: PreCommit-ZOOKEEPER-github-pr-build. I have configured it and would kindly appreciate if anyone could update a PR to test it.

Posted by Edward Ribeiro <ed...@gmail.com>.
Cool! Thanks for the heads up. :)

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.
There is no need to create an INFRA jira, I'm taking care of it, stay tuned. In the meanwhile, please submit patches as usual through jira to trigger QA.