Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/20 23:55:13 UTC

[2.x] Endpoint Interface and ExtensionPointRegistry

The current Endpoint interface has a method to set the
ExtensionPointRegistry, while trying to understand why this was done
on the Endpoint interface, I played with removing this form the
interface.. and although it seems to e used in the endpoint-tribes
module, removing it didn't seem to cause any bad side effect on the
build. Do we really need this on the Endpoint interface ?

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: [2.x] Endpoint Interface and ExtensionPointRegistry

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
It seems that the registry is used by the RuntimeEndpointImpl in order
to retrieve the serializer used to serialize endpoints. I expect the
main use of this feature is currently the tribes version of the
endpoint registry which is serializing endpoints in order to
distribute the contents of the endpoint registry. I don't recall that
we need to serialize endpoints anywhere else just at the moment.

None of this suggests that there needs to be a "set" method on the
interface though. However the comment against he method suggests that
it is required when the endpoint is deserialized. In this case the
registry of the node that is deserializing the endpoint will need to
be set into the endpoint just in case the endpoint is serialized
again.

Do you have particular concerns about this set method?

Regards

Simon

Re: [2.x] Endpoint Interface and ExtensionPointRegistry

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
It's needed for the distributed environment when the Endpoint information is
propagated from a remote node to the local node through XML
serialization/deseralization. The deserialized Endpoint needs to be rebound
to the local ExtensionPointRegistry to perform certain functions. The same
could happen for EndpointReference too.

Thanks,
Raymond