Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/22 09:36:55 UTC

[VOTE] Graduation of Apache Groovy from the incubator

Hi all,

Following-up the graduation proposal in a thread [1] from our mentor
Emmanuel Lécharny, I would like to launch today a vote for that purpose: *let
Apache Groovy graduate*!

For reference, here are our recent monthly [2] and quarterly [3] reports
for the latest developments of the project and its community. We’d also
like to thank our mentor Bertrand Delacretaz for setting up and assisting
with Groovy’s initial maturity assessment audit. It indicates that we are
in a good position to graduate [5].

This is therefore a call for vote to graduate the Groovy podling from
Apache Incubator.  The proposed board resolution is below; the proposed
chair for the graduated project is based on the proposal in [4].

Please cast your votes:

[  ] +1 Graduate Groovy podling from Apache Incubator

[  ] +0 Indifferent to the graduation status of Groovy podling

[  ] -1 Reject graduation of Groovy podling from Apache Incubator,

because.....

This vote will be open for 72 hours until next Sunday.

I vote +1 (binding)!

Regards,

Guillaume Laforge

[1]
http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSSION-What-about-moving-out-teh-Incubator-tp5727796.html

[2] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/July2015

[3] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/October2015

[4]
http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/VOTE-Groovy-chairman-election-tp5728290.html

[5] https://github.com/apache/incubator-groovy/blob/master/MATURITY.adoc

Establish the Apache Groovy Top-Level Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of the
Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish a
Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public, to
enable the creation of software using domain-driven design principles, and
the realization of this through the naked objects architectural pattern,

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee (PMC),
to be known as the "Apache Groovy Project", be and hereby is established
pursuant to Bylaws of the

Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Groovy Project be and hereby is responsible for
the evolution and maintenance of the Groovy programming language; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Groovy" be and hereby
is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction of the
Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Groovy Project, and to have
primary responsibility for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Apache Groovy Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Groovy Project PMC:

Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>

Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>

Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>

Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>>

Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>

As well as the following committers:

Andrés Almiray <aa...@gmail.com>

Dierk König <di...@canoo.com>

Russel Winder <ru...@russel.org.uk>

Keegan Witt <ke...@gmail.com>

Shil Sinha <sh...@gmail.com>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Guillaume Laforge be appointed
to the office of Vice President, Apache Groovy, to serve in accordance with
and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of
the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that should the need arise for project-specific bylaws, that the
Apache Groovy PMC be tasked with the creation of such bylaws intended to
encourage open development and increased participation in the Apache Groovy
Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Groovy Project be and hereby is tasked with the
migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Groovy podling; and
be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Groovy podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator Project are hereafter
discharged.

--
Guillaume Laforge
Apache Groovy committer & PMC member

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114130972232398734985/posts>

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of Apache Groovy from the incubator

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
+1

Is there any other sensible option ;-)

--
Russel.

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of Apache Groovy from the incubator

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

and conditional on removing

"RESOLVED, that should the need arise for project-specific bylaws, that the Apache Groovy PMC be tasked with the creation of such bylaws intended to encourage open development and increased participation in the Apache Groovy Project; and be it further"

creating project-special bylaws shouldn't be a requirement for a new PMC. ASF bylaws are fine for pretty much all of them. There was a lenghy discussion about it on comdev the other day. Thsnks!
  Cos

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Agree. I have send an email to the [VOTE] thread expressing exactly this view.
I don't think there would be any requests to restart the [VOTE] because of the
minor clerical error like this.

Regards,
  Cos

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Nicholas Grealy <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
<ce...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to formally extend the invite to join the PMC to our mentors. If
> any of you is willing to pursue your commitment to the project, feel free to
> tell us. In that case the vote on the incubator list would have you in :)

Sorry for the belated reply: just got back from really complicated travel :-(

I'd love to star on Groovy's PMC. Given that it seems that the resolution
may need to be resubmitted -- hopefully this won't be too much of an issue.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of Apache Groovy from the incubator

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
+1 for graduation (binding)

Agree that resolution needs work but not a blocker.

If Groovy would like me to be on the PMC, I would be honored
to stay on.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding - I'm willing to stay on the PMC, but given how little I've
actually done, you'd probably be better with other options. =)

A.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I can help around the PMC at least for an initial period of time until you guys comfortable with the ropes ;)
  Cos

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.
+1 binding

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by tog <gu...@gmail.com>.
+1 obviously!

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of Apache Groovy from the incubator

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...neither changes anything to the purpose or outcome of this vote
> thread, but it's better to keep things clear!..

Yes, thanks! The resolution works for me with these changes.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of Apache Groovy from the incubator

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Just a quick update on the terms here, to be fully accurate.

1) There was a little copy'n paste issue on my end when describing the
project.

The first statement should obviously read:

"WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish a
Project Management Committee charged with the evolution and maintenance of
the Groovy programming language,"

2) We don't need to list the list of committers in the resolution about the
PMC. So the statement should read as follows:

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Groovy Project PMC:

Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>

Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>

Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>

Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>>

Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>

However, neither changes anything to the purpose or outcome of this vote
thread, but it's better to keep things clear!
Thanks for your understanding and attention!

Guillaume

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

+1 to graduate the Groovy podling, but the board resolution needs
work, I'll start a separate thread for that.

-Bertrand