Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Cameron McBride <ca...@cwru.edu> on 2002/04/12 03:12:59 UTC

Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help

Heyo,

First off -- I am new to Embperl, so perhaps I missed a thing or two.
If this is the case, any 'steering' in the right direction would be
appreciated. ;-)  I know this is kind of like overload -- so thanks in
advance.

I am trying to put the newest version up in production (yeah, I know
-- beta).  I initially played with 2.0b5 -- and it did all I wanted.
Since then, 2.0b7 has been released -- and when I installed it problems
came up.

Oh, I have searched for my answers in README.v2, Changes.pod and the
perldoc pages.

Please see below for my SETUP and CONFIG

Listed in no real order:

1. What happened to EMBPERL_VIRTLOG???
   (didn't work with PerlSetEnv either)
    - this worked for me with 2.0b5

2. EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE does not seem to work in my Location pragma
    - given the config below, I would just get an error in the
      embperl.log about 'kaka.epl' not being found.
    - without the 'root' directive, errormsg changed to '_base.epl'
      cannot be found.

3. Is the 'chdir' broken?
    - For testing purposes, I wrote a little SCRIPT (see below) that
      opened up the current directory (./) and displayed a list of the
      'cat'ed contents.
    - It worked nicely in 2.0b5 (to my delight, as it was very early
      in my initial investigation)
    - It now spits out the directory contents of my system root (/)
        =-(
    - I could not seem to change this playing with the 'optDisableChdir'
      (is there another undocumented option to enable this now?)

4. Here is the *real* newbie quesion: Is there an easy way to set options?
    (aka a readable alternative to the EMBPERL_OPTIONS bitmask)
    would a start.pl script which each option listed work?

5. And finally the can of worms that I spent a bit of time on: The 'Indexes' thing
    Under 2.0b5 I had 'Indexes' turned on so I could go to the dir and run
    the script I wanted to test.  It worked.

    Under 2.0b7, it stopped working.  When I go to the directory, it
    offers me a download popup.  Inspecting the 'HEADERS' my browser is
    seeing we get the following:
      200 OK
      Connection: close
      <snip>

    Inspecting the rest rest of the request I get the output of my
    'base.epl' being evaluated with nothing included where I make the
    Execute(*) call.  The 'embperl.log' shows a normal request.

    If I do this for a directory not under the control of Embperl::Object:
      200 OK
      Connection: close
      <snip>
      ...(normal apache directory thing being displayed)...

    If I use the EMBPERL_ALLOW (see below), I then get an error:
      403 Forbidden
      Connection: close
      <snip>

    With the embperl.log:
      [3861]REQ: ***** Start Request at Thu Apr 11 20:48:23 2002
      [3861]Use App: Embperl
      [3861]Formdata... length = 0
      [3861]ERR:  403: : Access Forbidden for '/eptest/test/'

    Now this even happens if I have an 'index.html' file in that
    directory, which I have only been able to access with a direct
    request!  Not exactly what I wanted.  ;-)

So, if your still reading -- any help would be welcome and appreciated.
Let me know if I missed including any information (I think I have my
/etc/passwd here somewhere...:)

Cameron

==============================
 SETUP:
==============================
Quick info on my server/software:
Machine/Server:
% uname -a
Linux enki 2.4.4-xfs #1 Thu Jun 21 12:40:35 CDT 2001 i686 unknown
% perl -v
This is perl, v5.6.0 built for i686-linux
..snip..
% (from apache -- I have not messed with the headers, so these are accurate)
Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) Embperl/2.0b7 mod_perl/1.26

==============================
 CONFIG: (via httpd.conf)
==============================
PerlModule Embperl

EMBPERL_SESSION_HANDLER_CLASS no

EMBPERL_DEBUG 10477
EMBPERL_OPTIONS 16
EMBPERL_LOG /var/log/httpd/embperl.log
# EMBPERL_VIRTLOG /embperl/log

# EMBPERL_ALLOW (\.htm.?|\.epl$)

EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE kaka.epl
#  EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE base.epl

<Location /eptest>
  EMBPERL_RECIPE Embperl
  EMBPERL_APPNAME eptesting
  EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE base.epl
  EMBPERL_OBJECT_STOPDIR /var/www/html/eptest
  EMBPERL_URIMATCH "\.htm.?"
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlHandler Embperl::Object
  Options ExecCGI Indexes
</Location>

==============================
 SCRIPT: (foo.html, in an emtpy subdir processed by my base.epl)
==============================
This is a subdirectory that contains the following files:
[-
  $dir = opendir(DIR, '.');
  @tmplist = readdir(DIR);
  @list = grep (!/^\./, @tmplist);
-]

<ul>
[$ foreach $file (@list) $]
  <li>[+ $file +] <br />
  <pre style="{background-color: #cccccc;}">
  [+ `cat $file` +]
  </pre>
  </li>
[$ endforeach $]
</ul>

Re: Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> My guess is that Embperl::Object completely controls the directory, and
> EMBPERL_ALLOW restricts the module from using things *before* it can
> determine what to do with a requested component (ie should it not process
> and just serve the .txt file).  The EMBPERL_URIMATCH then works in both of
> these cases once EMBPERL_ALLOW is removed, as it has been 'allowed' to
view
> them, then chooses not to process them.
>
> Sound right?

Yes, that's excatly the way it works and should work. If you not want that
EMbperl sees the file at all, put it in a Files or FilesMatch block

Gerald

Re: Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help

Posted by Cameron McBride <ca...@cwru.edu>.
> Review: .txt  --> no processing or restriction
>         .htm? --> processing and restriction via the normal expectations
>  apache index
>       control --> adheres to the EMBPERL_URIMATCH, but not EMBPERL_ALLOW
>
> Perhaps that helps.

I was wrong, setting
EMBPERL_ALLOW (\.htm.?|\.epl$)
in the 'root' block (ie the file) also restricts my access to .txt
files.  Sorry about that.  This means it acts just like the apache index
control (a REQUEST to the http://host/eptest directory).

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> > I put this "optEnableChdir" on the TODO list
>
> One problem with the current "no-chdir" behaviour is: when I use
> use Customer::Utils;
> in my Perl code and have the "Customer" directory in the same directory
> where the script is, it does not work anymore.

Yes, that's true

> So I have to tell perl to "use lib /path/to/customer/lib;" somewhere in
> the startup code or in every embperl-page.

I personaly prefer to put such modules in a different directory outside the
HTML document tree and set the lib path, so you are sure people can not
request the source code from your lib via the browser.

Anyway I will add the optEnableChdir in the next release, so it's up to you
what you prefer to do

Gerald

Re: Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help

Posted by Dirk Melchers <me...@nureg.de>.
Gerald Richter wrote:

>>Understandable -- as this is how I found the optDisableChdir -- looking
>>to turn this function off to increase performance.  For functionality
>>however -- could I suggest that you provide some means to 'enable'
>>this?  I agree it should be off by default, but it could be handy, and
>>remove a headache or two if you start mixing external and internal
>>calls...
>>

> I put this "optEnableChdir" on the TODO list

One problem with the current "no-chdir" behaviour is: when I use
	use Customer::Utils;
in my Perl code and have the "Customer" directory in the same directory
where the script is, it does not work anymore.

So I have to tell perl to "use lib /path/to/customer/lib;" somewhere in
the startup code or in every embperl-page.

Regards,

Dirk Melchers.

Re: Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

I have added debugging code to the configuration part. Please start the
httpd with

httpd -D EMBPERL_APDEBUG

and catch the output on the console, make your requests and look into the
error log of the httpd.

Please send me your httpd.conf, the console output and the error log, along
with the urls your are requesting.

Hopefully with this informations I am able to debug what's going wrong here

Gerald

Posted by Cameron McBride <ca...@cwru.edu>.
> ok, that's good to know

Yeah -- we are sane!  ;-)

> Could you please put all the Embperl directives in the first file and then
> send me the mod_info output for Embperl?

Sure thing.

I made a test that has a configuration that does not work (ie
EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE does not seem to change in a location block).

To be clear, the 'root' directive of the EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE is set
differently than what is in the location block (The '_base.epl' is
correct one that exists).  When any existing page in /eptest is
requested, it comes back 404 -- as expected due to the optReturnError.
;-)

[...]

AddType text/html .epl

<Location /eptest>
  EMBPERL_APPNAME eptesting

Re: mod_info bug (was: Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help)

Posted by Axel Beckert - ecos gmbh <be...@ecos.de>.
Hi!

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 04:23:18AM -0400, Cameron McBride wrote:
> Remember I mentioned that my configurations are separated into different
> files that I 'include' from the httpd.conf.  Well, it looks like
> mod_info (at least the version I have) does not follow these 'include'
> directives, so it leaves that out!  ;-)

Yep, this is a known and open Apache 1.3.x bug. I came across it about
one year ago. But I didn't recognized that it's circumstances matches
here, too. Sorry. :-(

Now, that you mention it, I remember that I had a similar problem but
without Embperl. (I usually have all my anti-robot directives in a
extra conf file and they didn't show up either...)

See http://bugs.apache.org/index.cgi/full/7479 btw.

            Regards, Axel Beckert
Axel Beckert      ecos electronic communication services gmbh

E-Mail:     beckert@ecos.de         Voice:    +49 6133 926530
WWW:        http://www.ecos.de/     Fax:      +49 6133 925152

Re: Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help

Posted by Gerald Richter - ecos gmbh <ri...@ecos.de>.

Posted by Cameron McBride <ca...@cwru.edu>.
> > To continue on this, I finally did upgrade my dev machine to 5.6.1, and
> > recompiled mod_perl (1.26).  With Embperl 2.0b7 -- the mod_info stats
> > are all still blank.  Perhaps it could be a mod_info problem with my
> > set-up -- or some issue with DSOs.  ::shrug::
>
> Looks like it has nothing to do with Perl version.

Well, I found out why my system had nothing for the configuration
directives via mod_info.

Remember I mentioned that my configurations are separated into different
files that I 'include' from the httpd.conf.  Well, it looks like
mod_info (at least the version I have) does not follow these 'include'
directives, so it leaves that out!  ;-)

Guess we were looking too hard...

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi Cameron,

thanks for the update...

> To continue on this, I finally did upgrade my dev machine to 5.6.1, and
> recompiled mod_perl (1.26).  With Embperl 2.0b7 -- the mod_info stats
> are all still blank.  Perhaps it could be a mod_info problem with my
> set-up -- or some issue with DSOs.  ::shrug::

Looks like it has nothing to do with Perl version.

> As usual, let me know if I can provide more details that might be
> helpful.  ;-)

During the next days I put together a Embperl version that outputs more
debugging info, which will hopefully help us to find the problem. I will
send it to you ASAP

Gerald

Re: Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help

Posted by Cameron McBride <ca...@cwru.edu>.
> I don't have any idea why mod_info fails (It reparses the conf file, so it
> may come to different result, then APache itself), but it seems that the
> different Perl version has changed the other thing. I will try to reproduce
> the Perl 5.6.0 here, but this will be not too soon....
>
> Did you have any chance to upgrade your developement system to 5.6.1? (I
> would recommend this anyway, since 5.6.0 has a bunch of bugs)

To continue on this, I finally did upgrade my dev machine to 5.6.1, and
recompiled mod_perl (1.26).  With Embperl 2.0b7 -- the mod_info stats
are all still blank.  Perhaps it could be a mod_info problem with my
set-up -- or some issue with DSOs.  ::shrug::

Directives within the Location blocks also do not seem to function
correctly (just like previously discussed).

Anyhow, I thought I would try and be complete and share the information.

embperl class in NYC

Posted by Ruben I Safir <ru...@mrbrklyn.com>.
Free Software Institute REVISED Class Schedule for August:

Classes $300 individually perl 1 and 2 bundle $550 Linux 1 Unix 1 bunlde
$550 -> Students talking Linux 1 are require to purchase a computer used
for the rest of the corse work

Complete program package -> perl1, perl2, linux 1, unix 1, linux 2, unix 2
Database Programming 1, Introdution to Networking 1 $4000

Perl2 - Object Orientation in Perl · Basic CGI Programming · Database usage
and SQL · Building Database Web Applications with DBI · Basic MYSQL
administration and SQL · Templating Web Design and Rapid Development with
Perl · Introduction to mod_perl · Writing Basic Apache

Tuesday at ASHA:

7:00PM - 11:00PM

August 6th August 13th August 20th August 27th September 3rd

Unix 1 - Unix Tool, find, locate, man, grep, AWK, sort, df, ls, gcc, make
cp, ln, mv Permissions, tcp networking,route.

Wednesday at Rozensweig and Maffia 7PM-11:00

August 7th August 14th August 21st Augisyt 28th September 4th

Linux 2 - Apache Installation: Download Source Code untar make make install
Configure Apache Apache root httpd.conf initiation startup script httpd
processes htdocs directory mysql installation Download source untar make
install set initial permissions set up initiation file System monitoring
tripwire system log monitoring top kill renice/nice last who w netstat
route cron/crontab Port scanning/network security nmap inetd.conf tcp
wrappersm- hosts.allow hosts.deny simple package forwarding, firewall,
ipchains/NAT sshd,encrypted channels, VPN

Thusdays - Brooklyn NYLXS Headquarters - 7PM-11:00PM

August 8th August 15th August 21st August 28th September 5th

Unix 2 - shell scripting, C programming, Desktop X

Tuesdays NYLXS Headquarters - Brooklyn

August 6th August 13th August 20th August 27th September 3rd

------------------------------

Total program for reference: Sylibus:

Introduction to Linux

Installation

Boot Media, Kernels

Hard Drives

Partitions

fdisk, type 82, type 83

swap partition mkswap, swapon, partition types,

partition tables, /boot /home /usr /var

file systems, ext2, reiser, ext3, mke2fs

inodes, MBR

Introduction to the Shell

kernle ->getty -> login ->shell

/etc/passwd

adduser

/etc/group

Introduction to VI, vim,

vi commands:

command mode

i =>insert

o =>open

a =>append

dd=>delete

g=>goto

yy =>yank

p=>paste

jklim

edit mode

type and character into screen

to go back to command mode

execute mode

:w write

:q quit

/search search

:wq! at all costs

1,$s/old/new/g <== substitution globaly

Basic Shell comands

ls - directory listing

cp - copy

mv - move

ls ru* - globing

cat - cancatonate

ps -auxw - see processes

pstree - see process tree

top - system report

Directory tree

files, ownership, group permissions

Setting up X

XF86Setup

Knowing your video card

Knowing your monitor

sysinit - /etc/rc.d/init.d - turning services off and on

network setup

ipaddress

host name

domain

gateway

dns

adding users - different on different systems

/etc/passwd

/etc/shadow

ifconfig - see network connections

modules - modprobe, demode, lsmod, kernel compile

Introduction to unix

Unix Tool, find, locate, man, grep, AWK, sort, df, ls, gcc, make

cp, ln, mv Permissions, tcp networking,route.

Introduction to Programming with Perl

Advanced Unix2

shell scripting, C programming, Desktop X.

Introduction to Apache: Linux 2

Install of mod perl, install of Apache, Install of embperl,

and mason, basic apache configuration with files and virtual

servers, etc

Advanced Web Programming with Perl

embperl, modperl, the apache request cycle, cgi's, html, forms,

cookies and sessions

Database Programming 1

MYSQL installation, Creating tables, performance evalutions,

SQL seelcts, Inserts, user permissions, Perl DBI, C API.

Introdution to Networking 1

REVIEW tcp/id, introduce mail, sendmail, bind, DNS, DHCP,

SAMBA, NFS, SSH, ROUTE

--
__________________________

Brooklyn Linux Solutions
__________________________
http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting
http://www.nylxs.com/radio - Free Software Radio Show and Archives
http://www.brooklynonline.com - For the love of Brooklyn
http://www.nyfairuse.org - The foundation of Democracy
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive or stories and articles from around the net
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/mp3/dr.mp3 - Imagine my surprise when I saw you...

1-718-382-5752

Re: Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

> > That would be great! While I don't think it's a kernel isusse, it may
have
> > to do with the Perl version.
>
> Ok, did it.  The mod_info part is the same as before (ie pretty much
> blank) -- but the directives inside location blocks work.  ;-)

I don't have any idea why mod_info fails (It reparses the conf file, so it
may come to different result, then APache itself), but it seems that the
different Perl version has changed the other thing. I will try to reproduce
the Perl 5.6.0 here, but this will be not too soon....

Did you have any chance to upgrade your developement system to 5.6.1? (I
would recommend this anyway, since 5.6.0 has a bunch of bugs)

> I did *not* test these under any other type of block (ie Directory or
> what not).

At least from the perspective of Embperl, this makes no difference.

> Another thing that may -- or may not contribute.  In all previous tests
> that I have talked about, I have only loaded a single version of the
> Embperl Module.  Since this was my production server, when I tested the
> 2.0b7 directives, there was a Separate directory (via Virtualhost) that
> was loading the 2.0b5.  I *really* doubt they interact, but
> you are the one that knows the internals -- I am just reporting.  ;-)
> (Course I guess I could always finish looking through the source)

b5 and b7 on the same server may interact, because some of the C symbols
share the same name, but the configuration part is new, so in this area
there should not be any interaction.

> btw, not that you care (as versions have moved on) but even with
EMBPERL_DEBUG
> set to '0', 2.0b5 still outputs stuff to the log.

This is maybe some debugging stuff for myself. To keep it quite additionaly
set

PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_LOG /dev/null

Gerald

Re: Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help

Posted by Cameron McBride <ca...@cwru.edu>.
Heyo,

> > Ayup, thats my setup.  I will check it on my production server as well,
> > as it has 5.6.1, a slightly different kernel -- and perhaps a slightly
> > newer version of Apache.  Give me a day or two on this one.
>
> That would be great! While I don't think it's a kernel isusse, it may have
> to do with the Perl version.

Ok, did it.  The mod_info part is the same as before (ie pretty much
blank) -- but the directives inside location blocks work.  ;-)
I did *not* test these under any other type of block (ie Directory or
what not).

Another thing that may -- or may not contribute.  In all previous tests
that I have talked about, I have only loaded a single version of the
Embperl Module.  Since this was my production server, when I tested the
2.0b7 directives, there was a Separate directory (via Virtualhost) that
was loading the 2.0b5.  I *really* doubt they interact, but
you are the one that knows the internals -- I am just reporting.  ;-)
(Course I guess I could always finish looking through the source)

> If possible not only check the mod_info output, but also if the Embperl
> directives inside the location blocks work or not.

Kewl beans (see above).  FYI - I have done this each time as part of the
test.

btw, not that you care (as versions have moved on) but even with EMBPERL_DEBUG
set to '0', 2.0b5 still outputs stuff to the log.  Guess I should
upgrade it to 2.0b7...

> Ungefähr 15km südlich von Mainz und Mainz ist etwa 30km westlich von
> Frankfurt

Danke!  Jetzt habe ich eine Idee wo er ist.

Cameron

Re: Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

> > You have posted you are running Linux 2.4.4 and Perl 5.6.0, right? Maybe
it
> > could be an issue with Perl 5.6.0, but I cannot say that this is the
reason.

> Ayup, thats my setup.  I will check it on my production server as well, as
it has
> 5.6.1, a slightly different kernel -- and perhaps a slightly newer version
> of Apache.  Give me a day or two on this one.

That would be great! While I don't think it's a kernel isusse, it may have
to do with the Perl version.

If possible not only check the mod_info output, but also if the Embperl
directives inside the location blocks work or not.

> > Do have compiled mod_perl staticly into Apache or do you load it as DSO?
>
> There were some comments about DSOs being unstable, but I figured they
> were perhaps old comments -- let me know if that is not the case.
> Either way, I can get the DSO to do what I want -- I just have to beat
> it a bit.  ;-)

DSO was really bad before mod_perl 1.22, but nowadays it's ok to use it. I
have it in use too on some systems, where I want to be able to use
precompiled binaries.

I just have asked, because Embperl has to do different thinks internaly, to
get the Apache configuration working.

> If you want, I can take my system and statically recompile a version of
> apache w/mod_perl.  Couldn't do this until this weekend, however.  Let me
> know if that would be helpful...

I don't expect that this will change the things.

I first like to wait until you have tested with Perl 5.6.1, if this doesn't
change anything, I send you a version that will emit more debugging info, so
we should see better what is happeing.

> Cameron
>
> <quick little german bit -- sorry to other readers>
> Wo genau is Dienheim?  Leider bin ich nur eine blude Ami, das heisst das
> ich keine Ahnung ueber Geographie habe....  Entschuldigung.  ;-)

Ungefähr 15km südlich von Mainz und Mainz ist etwa 30km westlich von
Frankfurt

Gruß Gerald

Re: Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help

Posted by Cameron McBride <ca...@cwru.edu>.
Heyo,

> You have posted you are running Linux 2.4.4 and Perl 5.6.0, right? Maybe it
> could be an issue with Perl 5.6.0, but I cannot say that this is the reason.

Ayup, thats my setup.  I will check it on my production server as well, as it has
5.6.1, a slightly different kernel -- and perhaps a slightly newer version
of Apache.  Give me a day or two on this one.

> Does the make test of Embperl works correct (for offline and mod_perl mode)?

It seems to, it goes through all the tests and prints out those nice
little 'ok's  ;-)

> Do have compiled mod_perl staticly into Apache or do you load it as DSO?

I will assume it is a DSO.  I use the rpm version of Apache from a
redhat distro (this is a RH6.2 base system).  I was trying to stick with
a stock system on the production, so I left it as it was.  (maintenance
is going to be handed off shortly).

There were some comments about DSOs being unstable, but I figured they
were perhaps old comments -- let me know if that is not the case.
Either way, I can get the DSO to do what I want -- I just have to beat
it a bit.  ;-)

> Could you try if it makes any difference, if you replace the PerlModule
> Embperl, with

Sure!

> PerlRequire /path/to/startup.pl
> and in startup.pl say
> use Embperl ;
> 1 ;

I did exactly what you outlined (I only put the above in the startup.pl).

I can send you the output if you want, but it looks to be identical (ie
no configuration information).   Well, at least it is deterministic!

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hello,

> > but when I have to choose, I would always use b7 instead of b5.
>
> OK, I knew some people were using it for prime time, and I just wanted
> to make sure I was not off my rocker for trying to do the same.  If its
> good enough for you...  ;-)
>
> I finally got a set-up that seems to work in most of the ways I would
> like it -- I just had to blunder a thing or two.
>
> > Do you have mod_info running? If yes, please send me it's the output of
the
> > embperl.c section.
>
> You asked for it:
> (see below)
> <snip>
> Module Name: embperl.c
> Content handlers: none
> Configuration Phase Participation: Create Directory Config, Merge
Directory Configs, Create Server Config, Merge Server Configs
> Request Phase Participation: none
> Module Directives:
>       EMBPERL_PACKAGE -
>       EMBPERL_DEBUG -
>       EMBPERL_OPTIONS -
>       EMBPERL_ESCMODE -
>       EMBPERL_INPUT_ESCMODE -
>       EMBPERL_INPUT_CHARSET -
>       EMBPERL_CACKE_KEY -
>       EMBPERL_CACHE_KEY_OPTIONS -
>       EMBPERL_EXPIRES_FUNC -
>       EMBPERL_CACHE_KEY_FUNC -
>       EMBPERL_EXPIRES_IN -
>       EMBPERL_SYNTAX -
>       EMBPERL_RECIPE -
>       EMBPERL_XSLTSTYLESHEET -
>       EMBPERL_XSLTPROC -
>       EMBPERL_COMPARTMENT -
>       EMBPERL_ALLOW -
>       EMBPERL_URIMATCH -
>       EMBPERL_MULTFIELDSEP -
>       EMBPERL_PATH -
>       EMBPERL_DEBUG -
>       EMBPERL_OPTIONS -
>       EMBPERL_SESSION_MODE -
>       EMBPERL_APPNAME -
>       EMBPERL_APP_HANDLER_CLASS -
>       EMBPERL_SESSION_HANDLER_CLASS -
>       EMBPERL_SESSION_ARGS -
>       EMBPERL_SESSION_CLASSES -
>       EMBPERL_SESSION_CONFIG -
>       EMBPERL_COOKIE_NAME -
>       EMBPERL_COOKIE_DOMAIN -
>       EMBPERL_COOKIE_PATH -
>       EMBPERL_COOKIE_EXPIRES -
>       EMBPERL_LOG -
>       EMBPERL_DEBUG -
>       EMBPERL_MAILDEBUG -
>       EMBPERL_MAILHOST -
>       EMBPERL_MAILHELO -
>       EMBPERL_MAILFROM -
>       EMBPERL_MAIL_ERRORS_TO -
>       EMBPERL_MAIL_ERRORS_LIMIT -
>       EMBPERL_MAIL_ERRORS_RESET_TIME -
>       EMBPERL_MAIL_ERRORS_RESEND_TIME -
>       EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE -
>       EMBPERL_OBJECT_APP -
>       EMBPERL_OBJECT_ADDPATH -
>       EMBPERL_OBJECT_STOPDIR -
>       EMBPERL_OBJECT_FALLBACK -
>       EMBPERL_OBJECT_HANDLER_CLASS -
>       EMBPERL_USEENV -
> Current Configuration:
> <snip>
>
> (yes, this really is the end -- there is no information of the
>  configuration part of it.)

Mmmh, this is really strange, since I would expect to see your configuration
directives under "Current Configuration", at least the ones that works and
since it makes a difference when you change for example EMBPERL_ALLOW, at
least some must work....

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
> > > 2. EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE does not seem to work in my Location pragma
> > >     - given the config below, I would just get an error in the
> > >       embperl.log about 'kaka.epl' not being found.
> >
> > This looks like the EMBPERL_APPNAME isn't set inside the Location block
> > (Yes, I see it's there, but maybe it wasn't when you does this test?)
>
> Unfortunately it was there.  I just double checked again to be sure.

That's strange. I use it here without any problems and your config seems to
be alright.

Do you have mod_info running? If yes, please send me it's the output of the
embperl.c section.

If it's loaded/compiled in you can configure it via

<location /server-info>
SetHandler server-info
</location>

and request the page at /server-info

> Understandable -- as this is how I found the optDisableChdir -- looking
> to turn this function off to increase performance.  For functionality
> however -- could I suggest that you provide some means to 'enable'
> this?  I agree it should be off by default, but it could be handy, and
> remove a headache or two if you start mixing external and internal
> calls...

I put this "optEnableChdir" on the TODO list

> All of my tests had the EMBPERL_URIMATCH set to only process .htm? and
> .epl files.  Ahhh, but that gave me an idea.  Yup -- looks like if I
> take the EMBPERL_URIMATCH out of the Location block it works.
>
> But it is '403 Forbidden' again if I set
> EMBPERL_ALLOW (\.htm.?|\.epl$)
> in the 'root' level (ie just in the .conf file, not within a block).
> But I can still snag a .txt, which means the ALLOW is working, and the
> URIMATCH is as well (the .txt has emmperl code in it for a test).

That's ok, because the directory ('/') will not match against your ALLOW
mask, so Embperl returns a Forbidden.

As I said before, I plan to change this, so that directories always return a
DECLINED, that gives the normal Apache processing to make it's normal
processing and come back with the index.html. Then it would work the way you
exptected it. For now you have to use the URIMATCH workaround and allow
directories in your ALLOW regex.

> This still leaves the problem with EMBPERL_APPNAME which is not working
> like it should, or some of these variables do not work within such blocks.
> Do I need an EMBPERL_APP as well? (the logs show it using Embperl, which
> is my guess for what I would set it as)

There is no EMBPERL_APP, only a EMBPERL_OBJECT_APP, which you don't need. It
gives a filename, where you can define your own application class, to
override/extent some of Embperl functions.

> No mean to harp here, as I think this is great stuff and love the work.
> I know that such large changes that are currently being invoked are not
easy.

> I *do* however have some concerns about this stuff in production, which
> I previously didn't. (2.0b5 seemed really stable)
>
> Opinions and recommendations anyone?
>

>From my point of view b7 is more stable then b5. I use b7 for all my new
projects. There are more problems with the configuration system, because
that part is really new and the interaction with APache/mod_perl isn't
always easy (because you have to support a bunch of different
configurations), but when I have to choose, I would always use b7 instead of
b5.

Gerald

Re: Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help

Posted by Cameron McBride <ca...@cwru.edu>.
Thanks for your quick response!

> It's missing in b7, because of the internal changes, but should come in
> again at some point

Great.  I would love to get it back... until then, I can live without
it.  Its nice to know I'm not blind either...

> > 2. EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE does not seem to work in my Location pragma
> >     - given the config below, I would just get an error in the
> >       embperl.log about 'kaka.epl' not being found.
>
> This looks like the EMBPERL_APPNAME isn't set inside the Location block
> (Yes, I see it's there, but maybe it wasn't when you does this test?)

Unfortunately it was there.  I just double checked again to be sure.

> >     - without the 'root' directive, errormsg changed to '_base.epl'
> >       cannot be found.
>
> What do you mean by 'root' diretive?

sorry -- root as in document level, not directive.  As *not* in a location,
directory or other 'block'.  Sorry about the confusion.

> b7 does for performance reasons not really make a chdir anymore. It still
> handles calls to Execute relative to the diretory of the current script, but
> for external files you have to do it on your own. You can get the current
> directory with

Understandable -- as this is how I found the optDisableChdir -- looking
to turn this function off to increase performance.  For functionality
however -- could I suggest that you provide some means to 'enable'
this?  I agree it should be off by default, but it could be handy, and
remove a headache or two if you start mixing external and internal
calls...

> > 4. Here is the *real* newbie quesion: Is there an easy way to set options?
> >     (aka a readable alternative to the EMBPERL_OPTIONS bitmask)
> >     would a start.pl script which each option listed work?
> >

> You would be able to use a <Perl> Section and take the Constants from
> Embperl::Constant, but I plan to support clear text names for debug and
> option settings in one of the next releases.

Yet another good idea I would like to cast my vote for.

> >     The Indexes thing:
> >     Under 2.0b5 I had 'Indexes' turned on so I could go to the dir and run
> >     the script I wanted to test.  It worked.
> >
> >     Under 2.0b7, it stopped working.
>
> Yes, this is still a pending issue. I have to tell Embperl to stop working
> on directories, for now it should be ok to use the EMBPERL_URIMATCH to
> restrict the access to html, epl etc files

All of my tests had the EMBPERL_URIMATCH set to only process .htm? and
.epl files.  Ahhh, but that gave me an idea.  Yup -- looks like if I
take the EMBPERL_URIMATCH out of the Location block it works.

But it is '403 Forbidden' again if I set
EMBPERL_ALLOW (\.htm.?|\.epl$)
in the 'root' level (ie just in the .conf file, not within a block).
But I can still snag a .txt, which means the ALLOW is working, and the
URIMATCH is as well (the .txt has emmperl code in it for a test).

Review: .txt  --> no processing or restriction
        .htm? --> processing and restriction via the normal expectations
 apache index
      control --> adheres to the EMBPERL_URIMATCH, but not EMBPERL_ALLOW

Perhaps that helps.

This still leaves the problem with EMBPERL_APPNAME which is not working
like it should, or some of these variables do not work within such blocks.
Do I need an EMBPERL_APP as well? (the logs show it using Embperl, which
is my guess for what I would set it as)

No mean to harp here, as I think this is great stuff and love the work.
I know that such large changes that are currently being invoked are not easy.

I *do* however have some concerns about this stuff in production, which
I previously didn't. (2.0b5 seemed really stable)

Opinions and recommendations anyone?

2.0b5 seemed to support most of the features I wanted, and is safely in
its 'HTML::' namespace (good timing with that change!!)  -- should I
just use that and wait for the newer features to stabilize?  Is it more
'beta' than my tests lead me to believe?  Should I really consider the
1.3x series?

Vielen Dank fuer ihre Hilfe!!
(thanks for the help)

Cameron

Re: Possible 2.0b7 issues OR Setup help

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

> 1. What happened to EMBPERL_VIRTLOG???
>    (didn't work with PerlSetEnv either)
>     - this worked for me with 2.0b5

It's missing in b7, because of the internal changes, but should come in
again at some point

> 2. EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE does not seem to work in my Location pragma
>     - given the config below, I would just get an error in the
>       embperl.log about 'kaka.epl' not being found.

This looks like the EMBPERL_APPNAME isn't set inside the Location block
(Yes, I see it's there, but maybe it wasn't when you does this test?)

>     - without the 'root' directive, errormsg changed to '_base.epl'
>       cannot be found.

What do you mean by 'root' diretive?

> 3. Is the 'chdir' broken?

b7 does for performance reasons not really make a chdir anymore. It still
handles calls to Execute relative to the diretory of the current script, but
for external files you have to do it on your own. You can get the current
directory with

[-

$r = shift ;
$dir = $r -> component -> cwd ;