Posted to users@camel.apache.org by alapaka <al...@rocketmail.com> on 2013/10/03 04:10:37 UTC

Web Services consumer scenario - advice / ideas?

Hi all;

sorry for the verbose post...

I have a particular scenario for implementing a Web Services consumer:

I have several services I would like to provide; some will be provided as
REST and JSON, some as SOAP, some as all 3;
For the SOAP/xml based services, I already have xml schema.
The implementation of these services requires integrating several back-end
systems.

Camel will be perfect for implementing these services.
Ideally all I really need is something to differentiate the incoming service
requests, and marshall/unmarshall the requests and replies.

I am not interested in using any heavy SOAP functionality - the SOAP will
mostly be a simple wrapper around the XML data; indeed I may want to accept
pure XML (based on the schemas I have) as well.

I reckon this can all be done within Camel, without use of any WS frameworks
like CXF, Spring Web Services or Axis. I likely will need to write a (few)
processor / filter etc.. using jaxws and jaxrs, but that's OK.
I may decide to have different URIs for REST/SOAP/JSON, or not and check
properties/headers etc. to differentiate the requests.

So my questions are:

Am I missing something in that Camel will not be able to fully implement
this scenario without using a WS framework?

What can a framework provide that will make it a better solution?

Personally, I do not find any WS framework code generation to be a plus in
this scenario. Because the solution requires lots of back-end integration
which most easily is implemented in Camel, I would find myself sticking
camel code into any generated skeleton code anyway - so why bother?

I am very well versed in XML - writing wsdl and xsd etc.. is not a problem.

thoughts? ideas? criticism? it's all welcome!

many thanks
ala

ps. latest version of camel, java6

Re: Web Services consumer scenario - advice / ideas?

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

You can use camel-jetty as a pure http based server
http://camel.apache.org/jetty

Or the camel-netty-http can be a http server
http://camel.apache.org/netty-http

Also camel-cxf can use dataFormat=MESSAGE which gives you the full xml content.
Then that would be more similar to what camel-jetty does.

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 4:10 AM, alapaka <al...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> sorry for the verbose post...
>
> I have a particular scenario for implementing a Web Services consumer:
>
> I have several services I would like to provide; some will be provided as
> REST and JSON, some as SOAP, some as all 3;
> For the SOAP/xml based services, I already have xml schema.
> The implementation of these services requires integrating several back-end
> systems.
>
> Camel will be perfect for implementing these services.
> Ideally all I really need is something to differentiate the incoming service
> requests, and marshall/unmarshall the requests and replies.
>
> I am not interested in using any heavy SOAP functionality - the SOAP will
> mostly be a simple wrapper around the XML data; indeed I may want to accept
> pure XML (based on the schemas I have) as well.
>
> I reckon this can all be done within Camel, without use of any WS frameworks
> like CXF, Spring Web Services or Axis. I likely will need to write a (few)
> processor / filter etc.. using jaxws and jaxrs, but that's OK.
> I may decide to have different URIs for REST/SOAP/JSON, or not and check
> properties/headers etc. to differentiate the requests.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> Am I missing something in that Camel will not be able to fully implement
> this scenario without using a WS framework?
>
> What can a framework provide that will make it a better solution?
>
> Personally, I do not find any WS framework code generation to be a plus in
> this scenario. Because the solution requires lots of back-end integration
> which most easily is implemented in Camel, I would find myself sticking
> camel code into any generated skeleton code anyway - so why bother?
>
> I am very well versed in XML - writing wsdl and xsd etc.. is not a problem.
>
> thoughts? ideas? criticism? it's all welcome!
>
> many thanks
> ala
>
> ps. latest version of camel, java6

Claus Ibsen