Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1997/07/02 05:25:54 UTC

bogus html?

without

manual/misc/descriptors.html and manual/vhosts-in-depth.html (no names,
Dean... <g>) like closing their <p> tags without opening them.  Am I crazy
or is that bogus?

Yes, yes, it makes Netscape display it in a pretty way you like but...

Re: bogus html?

without

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> You get the same effect by changing </p> to <p>.  It's a bogus tag in my
> opinion.  I'm surprised that it's only my files that do it, I swear I saw
> it elsewhere.

Nope, its only you.  <g>

Ok, it could be somewhere else too that I haven't got to with weblint
yet...

Fix committed.

without

Posted by Pieter Nagel <pi...@epiuse.co.za>.
On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> You get the same effect by changing </p> to <p>.  It's a bogus tag in my
> opinion.  I'm surprised that it's only my files that do it, I swear I saw
> it elsewhere.

As far as I know, an HTML parser is *supposed* to be able to infer
misssing tags if their ommision is unambiguous - this is why pages
with the <HTML> or <HEAD> or <BODY> tags ommited still work.

I think this type of behaviour is specced at the SGML level and is
therefore not readily apparent from reading the HTML spec alone.

Precisely *what* "unambiguous" means, I don't know. I suppose if you
read the SGML DTD grammar for HTML, it'll boil down to infering the
missing <P> tag at the end of the previous paragraph, </H1>, </H2>
etc. - there are boundaries a <P>...</P> pair can't cross.

     ,_
     /_)              /| /
    /   i e t e r    / |/ a g e l

    PGP: finger pnagel@epiuse.co.za

Re: bogus html?

without

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>.
On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> You get the same effect by changing </p> to <p>.  It's a bogus tag in my
> opinion.  I'm surprised that it's only my files that do it, I swear I saw
> it elsewhere.

Well, a lot of files use </p>. I know I like it (for several reasons), but
I always make sure I put a <p> in there too... it's possible someone else
edited some files that had a <p></p> pair, and accidentally removed the

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>

Re: bogus html?

without

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.