Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Avijit Basak <av...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/19 07:31:06 UTC

Re: Contributor License Agreement

Hello Gilles Sadowski

         I have extended the current implementation of Genetic Algorithm in
a.c.m package and made the probability generation process adaptive. A
significant improvement of performance was observed because of this. The
current version of implementation in a.c.m.GA incorporates simple genetic
algorithm which is not much efficient and useful. However I have extended
the same framework to incorporate the enhancement as part of my work.
However the library can also be extended to incorporate other advanced
concepts of Genetic Programming.
         To compare with other libraries I have chosen a.c.m because of
it's flexible and extensible design.
         This is to be decided if we need a new component or extend the
same component.
         Kindly share your thoughts on this.

Thanks & Regards
--Avijit Basak

--
Avijit Basak

[Vote] New "git" repository (Was: [All][Math] New GA component)

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Assuming lazy consensus[1], please state any objection to creating a
new repository that will host the GA-related functionality (spin-off from
"Commons Math").

More context on JIRA.[2]
I'll take care of setting up the new component (a.o. moving the relevant
codes over to the new repository), after which Avijit can start improving
it.

Thanks,
Gilles

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#LazyConsensus
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-1563

Re: [All][Math] New GA component

Posted by Avijit Basak <av...@gmail.com>.
Hello Gilles

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 17:50, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Le mer. 20 janv. 2021 à 11:11, Avijit Basak <av...@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
> >
> > Hello Gilles Sadowski
> >
> >          Thanks for your reply. Yes I intend to contribute to enhancement
> > of the GA functionality as per the JIRA (MATH-1563) proposal.
>
> My proposal was to first create a new component (and, thus, implement
> the enhancement over there).
> Do you agree to perform the port?  As said in the previous message, this
> should be relatively easy, but will require populating a new "git"
> repository,
> using a recent and similar project's (e.g. "Commons Numbers") files as
> templates.
>
> > If I find any
> > other changes suitable I would also propose the same. Could you kindly
> look
> > into the approval process for this JIRA.
>
> There is no "process" other than the discussions taking place here, on
> the "dev" ML.
>
> Regards,
> Gilles
>

> > Thanks & Regards
> > --Avijit Basak
> >
> > On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 04:11, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Avijit.
> > >
> > > [I've changed the "Subject:" line.]

> Algorithm
> > > in a.c.m package and made the probability generation process adaptive.
> > > significant improvement of performance was observed because of this.
> The
> > > current version of implementation in a.c.m.GA incorporates simple
> genetic
> > > algorithm which is not much efficient and useful. However I have
> extended
> > > the same framework to incorporate the enhancement as part of my work.
> > > However the library can also be extended to incorporate other advanced
> > > concepts of Genetic Programming.
> > >
> > > Do you intend to do, or otherwise further contribute to the enhancement
> > > of the GA functionality?

> of
> > > it's flexible and extensible design.
> > >
> > > That's good news, despite we never had much feedback about that code
> > > base...

> the
> > > same component.
> > >
> > > The functionality in package "o.a.c.m.genetics" does not depend on
> > > functionality
> > > in other packages (except for exceptions).  Setting up a new component
> > > would
> > > thus be very easy.
> > > Doing so will bring the same maintenance advantage as we have witnessed
> > > with
> > > the other Commons Math spin-offs.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Gilles

Avijit Basak

Re: [All][Math] New GA component

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Re: [All][Math] New GA component

Posted by Avijit Basak <av...@gmail.com>.
Hello Gilles Sadowski

         Thanks for your reply. Yes I intend to contribute to enhancement
of the GA functionality as per the JIRA (MATH-1563) proposal. If I find any
other changes suitable I would also propose the same. Could you kindly look
into the approval process for this JIRA.

Thanks & Regards
--Avijit Basak

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 04:11, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Avijit.
>
> [I've changed the "Subject:" line.]
>
> Le mar. 19 janv. 2021 à 08:31, Avijit Basak <av...@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
> >
> > Hello Gilles Sadowski
> >
> >          I have extended the current implementation of Genetic Algorithm
> in a.c.m package and made the probability generation process adaptive. A
> significant improvement of performance was observed because of this. The
> current version of implementation in a.c.m.GA incorporates simple genetic
> algorithm which is not much efficient and useful. However I have extended
> the same framework to incorporate the enhancement as part of my work.
> However the library can also be extended to incorporate other advanced
> concepts of Genetic Programming.
>
> Do you intend to do, or otherwise further contribute to the enhancement
> of the GA functionality?
>
> >          To compare with other libraries I have chosen a.c.m because of
> it's flexible and extensible design.
>
> That's good news, despite we never had much feedback about that code
> base...
>
> >          This is to be decided if we need a new component or extend the
> same component.
>
> The functionality in package "o.a.c.m.genetics" does not depend on
> functionality
> in other packages (except for exceptions).  Setting up a new component
> would
> thus be very easy.
> Doing so will bring the same maintenance advantage as we have witnessed
> with
> the other Commons Math spin-offs.
>
> Regards,
> Gilles