Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2011/06/17 16:54:46 UTC

testRAFWriteInterrupted look familiar?

A user  running the Derby tests with  10.8.1.4 - (1134171) reported this failure to me.
on linux 64 bit.  I don't have a lot of details yet, but wanted to know if anyone has seen this before. It looked oddly familiar but I didn't see it in Jira.

1) testRAFWriteInterrupted(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.store.InterruptResilienceTest)java.sql.SQLException: The exception 'java.sql.SQLException: Derby thread received an interrupt during a disk I/O operation, please check your application for the source of the interrupt.' was thrown while evaluating an expression.
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.seeNextException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.handleException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.executeUpdate(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.store.InterruptResilienceTest.testRAFWriteInterrupted(InterruptResilienceTest.java:217)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:76)
	at org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestCase.runBare(BaseTestCase.java:112)
	at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:22)
	at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:19)
	at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:23)
	at org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57)
	at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:22)
	at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:19)
	at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:23)
	at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:22)
	at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:19)
	at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:23)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: The exception 'java.sql.SQLException: Derby thread received an interrupt during a disk I/O operation, please check your application for the source of the interrupt.' was thrown while evaluating an expression.
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)
	... 44 more
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Derby thread received an interrupt during a disk I/O operation, please check your application for the source of the interrupt.
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.handleException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.store.InterruptResilienceTest.tstRAFwriteInterrupted(InterruptResilienceTest.java:190)
	at org.apache.derby.exe.acd381409ax0130x8f67x50f8xffffa483964e0.g0(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:76)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.reflect.ReflectMethod.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.CallStatementResultSet.open(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.executeStmt(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
	... 37 more
Caused by: ERROR XSDG9: Derby thread received an interrupt during a disk I/O operation, please check your application for the source of the interrupt.
	at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.RAFContainer4.writePage(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.CachedPage.writePage(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.CachedPage.clean(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.cache.ConcurrentCache.cleanAndUnkeepEntry(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.cache.ClockPolicy.rotateClock(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.cache.ClockPolicy.insertEntry(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.cache.ConcurrentCache.insertIntoFreeSlot(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.cache.ConcurrentCache.create(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.FileContainer.initPage(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.FileContainer.newPage(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.BaseContainer.addPage(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.BaseContainerHandle.addPage(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.heap.HeapController.doInsert(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.heap.HeapController.insertAndFetchLocation(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.RowChangerImpl.insertRow(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.InsertResultSet.normalInsertCore(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.InsertResultSet.open(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.executeStmt(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
	... 50 more

Re: testRAFWriteInterrupted look familiar?

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <kn...@oracle.com>.
Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On 6/17/2011 11:12 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>>
>> No, it's this bug: http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=7043425
>> I've added a comment with a pointer to the bug in JIRA.
>>
>> The other bug mentioned (6979009) is already compensated for in the
>> code, so that shouldn't be causing any problems for us, even on JVMs
>> where the bug hasn't been fixed.
>>
> Thanks Knut for the information. It looks like only 1.7 is impacted then.

Yes, we've only seen it on 1.7 as far as I know, and the bug comments
say that the JVM bug was a regression in jdk7-b50.

--
Knut Anders

Re: testRAFWriteInterrupted look familiar?

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <kn...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 6/17/2011 9:05 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Kathey Marsden<km...@sbcglobal.net>  writes:
>
>> A user  running the Derby tests with  10.8.1.4 - (1134171) reported this failure to me.
>> on linux 64 bit.  I don't have a lot of details yet, but wanted to know if anyone has seen this before. It looked oddly familiar but I didn't see it in Jira.
> The stack trace looks similar to DERBY-5081, which turned out to be
> caused by a JVM bug. Which JVM is this?

Thank you Knut. This looks very similar. As I understand it, the user is
testing  with  a non-public 1.7 jvm. I think it is reasonable to think
it might be affected by this or a similar JVM bug.

If I read the issue notes properly, the bug in question is;
  http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6979009

It looks like there is a fix in OpenJDK 1.7  but also affects JDK 1.6
and 1.5  and there is not a fix yet in the Oracle 1.6 JDK or 1.5 JDK.
Is that correct?

Thanks

Kathey

Re: testRAFWriteInterrupted look familiar?

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <kn...@oracle.com>.