Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Ingo Wolfmayr <in...@wolfix.at> on 2018/03/21 10:33:30 UTC

Financial transaction - accounting transactions

Hi,

I have a question regarding financial transaction, in detail the service "postFinAccountTransToGl".

When I create a "deposit" or a "withdraw" it creates the same accounting transactions except changing the type of accounting transaction.

Maybe I missunderstand the financial transactions. This is what I am trying to do:
A customer made a payment 100$. The bank subtracts a fee from my account 5$. I thought by making a transaction "withdraw" I could submit the fee to the appropriate glaccount and subtracting it from the financial account (2nd part is fine).
Goal:
Debit: 5$ Fees
Credit: 5$ Bank

Current situation:
Credit: 5$ Fees
Debit: 5$ Bank

Creating a deposit creates the same financial transactions.

When I create an adjustment with a negativ amount, the glaccounts are on the right side, but the value is negativ, which at the end leads to the same result.

I would be glad if someone could help me on this.

Best regards,
Ingo

AW: Financial transaction - accounting transactions

Posted by Ingo Wolfmayr <in...@wolfix.at>.
Hi Paul,

thanks for the information. I think I am doing exactely what you are saying:

Debit: 5$ Fees
Credit: 5$ Bank

Charges of bank (debit) / Bank (credit) --> decreases the bank liabilty - money the bank ows me.

Maybe I am going or thinking the wrong way: On the financial account I create a withdraw (Fin Account Trans Type Id) to decrease the bank liabilities on the financial account (bank). It should create the above accounting transaction entries.

Right now it is the other way round:
Bank (debit) / Charges of bank (credit)

Example:

Bank (debit) / Cash (credit)  --> Paying cash money to my bank account
Charges of bank (debit) / Bank (credit) --> the charge me for counting the money

Right now:
Bank (debit) / Cash (credit)  --> Paying cash money to my bank account
Bank (debit) / Charges of bank (credit) --> the charge me for counting the money - but increasing their liability?

Code from FinAccountGlPostServices:

<condition><if-compare field="finAccountTrans.finAccountTransTypeId" operator="equals" value="DEPOSIT"/></condition>
<set field="quickCreateAcctgTransAndEntries.creditGlAccountId" from-field="parameters.glAccountId"/>
<set field="quickCreateAcctgTransAndEntries.debitGlAccountId" from-field="glAccountId"/>
<set field="quickCreateAcctgTransAndEntries.acctgTransTypeId" value="RECEIPT"/>

<condition><if-compare field="finAccountTrans.finAccountTransTypeId" operator="equals" value="WITHDRAWAL"/></condition>
<set field="quickCreateAcctgTransAndEntries.debitGlAccountId" from-field="glAccountId"/>
<set field="quickCreateAcctgTransAndEntries.creditGlAccountId" from-field="parameters.glAccountId"/>
<set field="quickCreateAcctgTransAndEntries.acctgTransTypeId" value="PAYMENT_ACCTG_TRANS"/>

Best regards
Ingo

It's conventional to record a deposit to a bank account as a debit.

Have a look at
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-accounting/chapter/the-basics-of-accounting/
especially the "Perspective" section halfway down.

Debits and credits can be counter-intuitive. For an income or expense account, they do what you'd expect: e.g. new income is a credit to an income account. Assets and liabilities are different - an increase in an asset is a *debit*. One think to think about this is that from the perspective of the bank, your deposit is a liability - they owe you the money and you may ask for it back in future. If they ever take out a bank fee, the transaction would have a credit to the bank account (an asset) and a debit to your bank fees account (an expense).

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: info@coherentsoftware.com.au

Re: Financial transaction - accounting transactions

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Hi Ingo,

AW: AW: Financial transaction - accounting transactions

Posted by Ingo Wolfmayr <in...@wolfix.at>.
Hi Pierre,

thanks for your input. I created a jira with a patch (OFBIZ-10308).

Best regards,
Ingo

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ingo,