Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Shanmugavel SRD <sr...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/18 09:57:15 UTC

Meaning of avgTimePerRequest & avgRequestsPerSecond in SOLR stats page

Can anyone please explain me about avgTimePerRequest & avgRequestsPerSecond
in SOLR stats page?

Thanks,
Shanmugavel SRD

Re: Meaning of avgTimePerRequest & avgRequestsPerSecond in SOLR stats page

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
No, that's not true. As long as you're not limited by some resource,
avgRequestsPerSecond can grow without impacting avgTimePerRequest
much.

avgTimePerRequest is the elapsed time from the beginning of Solr handling
the request to the end, measured in clock time. Say it takes 100 ms. Of
that 100 ms, let's say (and these are examples, not real data) that 50ms
is sitting around waiting for disk. A second query could be being serviced
in that same interval, so at 1 QPS you'd have an averageTimePreRequest
of 100ms. Ditto at 2 QPS.

That said, at some point you *will* get a relationship between the two
numbers, when some resource is being used 100%. At that point
as your QPS rises, so will your avgTimePerRequest.

Of course it's not that clean, but that's the idea...

Best
Erick

Posted by shinkanze <ra...@gmail.com>.
hi ,
am also confused abt the same when doing the maths results are different

rajat

Re: Meaning of avgTimePerRequest & avgRequestsPerSecond in SOLR stats page

Posted by Shanmugavel SRD <sr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Erick.

Re: Meaning of avgTimePerRequest & avgRequestsPerSecond in SOLR stats page

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
avgTimePerRequest is the important one for your users. They don't care if
you're processing
a million QPS, they care how long *their* query took. But you also have to
pay attention
to longest response times....

Best
Erick

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
average time per request is
the total time spent servicing X requests divided by X (in milliseconds I
believe).
If no searches are being processed, this number doesn't change.
It's a measure of how long it takes, on average, to service a single
request.

avrRequests per second is the total time since you started Solr divided by
the
total number of requests. It's really a measure of how fast requests come
in.

Best
Erick