Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Claudia Burman <cb...@elbolson.com> on 2007/08/15 18:11:03 UTC

Bottleneck with external tests

Please help me diagnose a problem I can't handle.
Since two days ago I have a huge perfomance problem.
I think it is related to external tests, because when I disable them
everything comes to normal. But the amount of spam that enters is
unacceptable by our users.
Version of spamassassin is  3.1.3  running on Perl version 5.8.4 (I use
it thru Amavis)
Latest version of rules are used, and I have erased rules regarding
Razor and Pyzor

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Claudia Burman
El Bolsón
Argentina

Re: Bottleneck with external tests

Posted by Joel Nimety <jn...@perimeterusa.com>.

Claudia Burman wrote:
> Please help me diagnose a problem I can't handle.
> Since two days ago I have a huge perfomance problem.
> I think it is related to external tests, because when I disable them
> everything comes to normal. But the amount of spam that enters is
> unacceptable by our users.
> Version of spamassassin is  3.1.3  running on Perl version 5.8.4 (I use
> it thru Amavis)
> Latest version of rules are used, and I have erased rules regarding
> Razor and Pyzor

try lowering rbl_timeout in SA, disabling Pyzor, and mirroring all RBLs
you use locally.

--
Joel Nimety
Perimeter eSecurity

--
 The sender of this email subscribes to Perimeter eSecurity's email
 anti-virus service. This email has been scanned for malicious code and is

 Thanks

Re: Bottleneck with external tests

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.
Claudia Burman wrote:
> SM wrote:
>
>> At 09:11 15-08-2007, Claudia Burman wrote:
>>
>>> Since two days ago I have a huge perfomance problem.
>>> I think it is related to external tests, because when I disable them
>>> everything comes to normal. But the amount of spam that enters is
>>> unacceptable by our users.
>>> Version of spamassassin is  3.1.3  running on Perl version 5.8.4 (I
>>> use it thru Amavis)
>>> Latest version of rules are used, and I have erased rules regarding
>>> Razor and Pyzor
>>

>> Is there a nameserver running on the same machine where SpamAssassin
>> is installed?  Are you using it as the resolver?
>>
>> Regards,
>> -sm
>>
> 1. Yes there is
> 2. As far as I know, yes. If it is using the resolv.conf in the machine
> it is running on. Spamassassin is called by Amavis which is called by
> Postfix, in none of these I can find any reference to another DNS number.

Hi,

As discussed earlier, some spamhaus is now blocking more servers than
before.  I had to disable spamhaus checks to fix up my servers (even a
server that handles less than 2000 messages a day).

I'm also seeing the lookups on completewhois.com failing about 40% of
the time, I might remove them as well.

Regards,

Rick

Re: Bottleneck with external tests

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
>SM wrote:
>
>>At 09:11 15-08-2007, Claudia Burman wrote:
>>
>>>Since two days ago I have a huge perfomance problem.
>>>I think it is related to external tests, because when I disable them
>>>everything comes to normal. But the amount of spam that enters is
>>>unacceptable by our users.
>>>Version of spamassassin is  3.1.3  running on Perl version 5.8.4 (I use
>>>it thru Amavis)
>>>Latest version of rules are used, and I have erased rules regarding Razor
>>>and Pyzor

What do you mean here? If you don't want to use Pyzor or Razor you would
comment out the loadplugin lines in v310.pre. To avoid lint errors after
commenting them out do not use configuration items like:
use_pyzor 0

This thread may possibly help you determine where SA spends its time:
http://marc.info/?l=amavis-user&m=117874388132138

>>Is there a nameserver running on the same machine where SpamAssassin is
>>installed?  Are you using it as the resolver?
>>
>>Regards,
>>-sm
>>
>1. Yes there is
>2. As far as I know, yes. If it is using the resolv.conf in the machine it
>is running on. Spamassassin is called by Amavis which is called by Postfix,
>in none of these I can find any reference to another DNS number.
>
>Thanks
>Claudia

See what you’re getting into…before you go there
http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_preview_0507

Re: Bottleneck with external tests

Posted by Claudia Burman <cb...@elbolson.com>.

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.