Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@googlemail.com> on 2013/07/01 07:24:40 UTC

Re: 0.8 progress

I successfully ran the ALS and cooccurrence-based recommenders on the
Netflix dataset on a 26 machine cluster using Hadoop 1.0.4.

--sebastian

Re: 0.8 progress

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
I ran some tests of the RC with the distributed ALS and
cooccurrence-based recommenders on our 26 node Hadoop 1.0.4 university
cluster using the Netflix dataset. Everything worked fine :)

--sebastian

Re: 0.8 progress

Posted by Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com>.
In Mahout parent module pom following property is defined:
hadoop.version=1.1.2

In Mahout core module pom there are two profiles:

<profiles>
    <profile>
      <id>hadoop-0.20</id>
      <activation>
        <property>
          <name>!hadoop.version</name>
        </property>
      </activation>
      <dependencies>
        <dependency>
          <groupId>org.apache.hadoop</groupId>
          <artifactId>hadoop-core</artifactId>
        </dependency>
      </dependencies>
    </profile>
    <profile>
      <id>hadoop-0.23</id>
      <activation>
        <property>
          <name>hadoop.version</name>
        </property>
      </activation>
      <dependencies>
        <dependency>
          <groupId>org.apache.hadoop</groupId>
          <artifactId>hadoop-common</artifactId>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
          <groupId>org.apache.hadoop</groupId>
          <artifactId>hadoop-mapreduce-client-common</artifactId>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
          <groupId>org.apache.hadoop</groupId>
          <artifactId>hadoop-mapreduce-client-core</artifactId>
        </dependency>
      </dependencies>
    </profile>
  </profiles>

Since hadoop.version property is always defined, I don't think profile
hadoop-0.20 is ever explicitly activated (like in a CI build job), at least
not without hadoop-0.23 profile being active too.
If so, should we remove hadoop-0.20 profile and associated dependencies?
Maybe for 0.9?

Kind regards,
Stevo Slavic.

Re: 0.8 progress

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com>.

Re: 0.8 progress

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: 0.8 progress

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: 0.8 progress

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: 0.8 progress

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Any feedback yet on the RCs?

Grant Ingersoll | @gsingers
http://www.lucidworks.com

Re: 0.8 progress

Posted by Peng Cheng <pc...@uowmail.edu.au>.
Hi Sebastian,

Re: 0.8 progress

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi Peng,

You cannot "inject"  the ParallelALSFactorizationJob into a recommender
class. Have a look at factorize-netflix.sh in examples to see how to use it
for hold out tests.

Best,
Sebastian