Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2016/01/07 17:28:39 UTC

FAQ: CCLA Optional?

Am I being blind, or is there not a FAQ saying something to the effect of:

* Is the CCLA required?
* No, this document only needs to be signed if your employer requires so.

If not on the site, could I propose that something akin to that be added to
the FAQ and clarified in the CLA description?

  http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
  http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html

Thanks,

Hen

Re: FAQ: CCLA Optional?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
(Sorry for this unnecessary reply - my mail client was not updating to show
the rest of the thread)

Re: FAQ: CCLA Optional?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Re: FAQ: CCLA Optional?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: FAQ: CCLA Optional?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
Committers sign ICLAs, contributors don't (typically - maybe a project has
a reason for requiring contributors to sign ICLAs but I don't recall it
being done).

Re: FAQ: CCLA Optional?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: FAQ: CCLA Optional?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Fixed typo:

Re: FAQ: CCLA Optional?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
Thanks all on the thread. Very impressed to post the question, go to work,
get home and discover it had gone from question to posted FAQ in the
meantime :)

Re: FAQ: CCLA Optional?

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Herewith some more edits. Specifically, I changed "the code that they contribute is theirs to license" to "they have the right to contribute". And other editorial and grammatical changes. Change commas to semicolons, change between to among, etc. And a suggestion to contact their own company's counsel for answers to questions not addressed here.

A CCLA is only required if contributors' employment situation necessitates that a CCLA be signed. See section 4 of the ICLA for details.

Committers must sign an ICLA. They make an individual claim that they have the right to contribute. Reviewing their ICLA against their employer's ownership interests, applicable state and national law, and specific aspects of their employment contract and business policies will reveal that they can or cannot make that claim regarding any particular commit to whichever particular project they are committing in.

The CCLA is a backup document that the committer/ICLA signer may use to eliminate all of the ambiguity among all these conflicting laws, contracts, policies and job assignments. The Apache Software Foundation has never required it. Many committers are confident of their individual representations under the ICLA, and many other committers find it reassuring that their company has backed up their own ICLA with this umbrella document.

Re: FAQ: CCLA Optional?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Re: FAQ: CCLA Optional?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.