Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> on 2006/09/29 17:03:16 UTC

Re: [net] Using FTPClient [was: Re: commons-vfs - Using FTPClient]

Hi!
> This is what the output displays.... message 425 takes about 20
> seconds to display... Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!!!!
>

> //OUTPUT
> 230 Login successful. Have fun.
>
> 425 Failed to establish connection.
>
> 221 Goodbye.

For me this is a problem with your (or the other side) firewall
configuration.
Sometimes a firewall do not support "active" ftp connections.
You can try to use f.enterLocalPassiveMode() (or so, sorry, I do not
remember the correct syntax yet).
This way commons-net will try to use passive ftp data connections which
might have more success bypassing a firewall.

But ... this has nothing to do with commons-vfs, do you try to use
commons-net through commons-vfs (using a ftp filesystem)?
Then there is a FtpFileSystemConfigBuilder which allows you to
setPassiveMode(opts, true).
If you need more support with this, just ask again.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [net] Using FTPClient [was: Re: commons-vfs - Using FTPClient]

Posted by va...@webmail.co.za.
Great! The firewall was indeed the problem, since it could
not manage active sessions.

Thanks alot.

> Hi!
>> This is what the output displays.... message 425 takes about 20
>> seconds to display... Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!!!!
>>

>> //OUTPUT
>> 230 Login successful. Have fun.
>>
>> 425 Failed to establish connection.
>>
>> 221 Goodbye.
>>

> For me this is a problem with your (or the other side) firewall
> configuration.
> Sometimes a firewall do not support "active" ftp connections.
> You can try to use f.enterLocalPassiveMode() (or so, sorry, I do not
> remember the correct syntax yet).
> This way commons-net will try to use passive ftp data connections which
> might have more success bypassing a firewall.
>
> But ... this has nothing to do with commons-vfs, do you try to use
> commons-net through commons-vfs (using a ftp filesystem)?
> Then there is a FtpFileSystemConfigBuilder which allows you to
> setPassiveMode(opts, true).
> If you need more support with this, just ask again.
>
> Ciao,
> Mario

Re: [net] Using FTPClient [was: Re: commons-vfs - Using FTPClient]

Posted by va...@webmail.co.za.
Great! Got it sorted out...it was the firewall
not being able to handle a active FTP session.

Thaks alot!