Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2011/06/08 23:31:04 UTC

OOo Monetary Donations

I started looking around at the OOo website.

I'm not sure if now is the time to bring this up, but at http://contributing.openoffice.org/donate.html there is a solicitation for funds via three processes.

Here's what the page says:

> Your donation will go directly towards helping this project. Some of the ways in which your funds might be used include:
> 	• Hiring independent developers to work with OpenOffice.org.
> 	• Paying for participation at trade shows and conferences.
> 	• Paying for organization and staff at annual OpenOffice.org Conference, OOoCon.
> 	• Marketing banners, collateral, CDs and brochures.
> Please discuss the tax benefits of donating with your accountant.
> You can make a donation to our primary treasury, Team OpenOffice.org, e.V. via PayPal or credit card or use bank transfer.
> Or, if you prefer to donate US dolars (USD) via credit card, cheque or money order, you can use use Software In the Public Interest, Inc. (SPI), and simply identify the recipient project, OpenOffice.org, where indicataed in the instructions SPI provides: SPI Donations for OpenOffice.org . (SPI does not accept PayPal or wire transfers.)

Clearly there ought to be changes to the page and process when/if the podling happens. This is probably at the ASF Board level... certainly the "hiring developers" part doesn't fit...

Regards,
Dave

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Martin Hollmichel <ma...@googlemail.com>.
On 06/09/2011 08:06 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Martin Hollmichel <
> martin.hollmichel@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> time to introduce myself, I'm Martin Hollmichel, contributor to
>> StarOffice/OpenOffice.org since 1994, member of the OpenOffice.org
>> Community Council (CC) until 2010 and also Chair of Team OpenOffice.org
>> e.V.
>>
>> We founded Team OpenOffice.org e.V. in 2003 to serve for the items
>> described for the items below. All the funds coming in was agreed to
>> spend under the guidelines of the CC (see
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council/Funding_And_Budgets
>> ).
>> Until September 2010 the CC represents the OpenOffce.org community until
>> the TDF initiative started. Since the remaining CC was preparing the
>> "restart" of the Community the surprising move of Oracle happened and
>> Team OpenOffice.org in behalf of the CC also applied for driving
>> OpenOffice.org. Some of you might also remember the Team OOo was also
>> the initial holder of the OpenOffice.org trademark in the US.
>> Please understand that we are also got surprised by the announcement
>> last Wednesday and we are currently preparing our point of view in this
>> matter. Generally speaking we are still committed to work with all
>> related parties to initiate and continue the collaborative work on
>> offering our users a stable and useful product. I think the decision to
>> move the project from a "one main sponsor thing" to a "non-profit
>> entity" is a good one. Now we are all called to make the best of it,
>>

> Hope not to initiate another round of intense emails. But my burning
> question is: why the silence period?
> There were a lot of things to move forward in but Team OOo never really got
> a recognition on the lists or any stance on many of the discussions on the
> Marketing lists, and other direction list.
The role of Team OpenOffice.org in the past was just to be the cash box
of the CC and let the CC do the work and be the voice.
> I remember raising some concerns about that back in November but got
> attacked for even daring to ask, so I didn't insist on questioning Team OOo
> position in the matter.
> Also fellow contributors have been asking for Team OOo about cerrtain
> donation schees that didn't reach their initial goals.
As said above, not the problem of the Team OOo but of the CC. The plan
was to let settle down the dust of the TDF move and re-initiate the CC.
Now the playing field changed again and it becomes quite obvious that
not only re-elections of the CC are required but also a re-write of it's
charter.
But we are also hearing the voices for asking Team OOo play a more
central role, e.g. being the link between developers and customers and
professionals. This is something which was terribly missed since years.

Martin

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
> [...]

> >>      • Paying for organization and staff at annual OpenOffice.org
> Conference, OOoCon.
> >>      • Marketing banners, collateral, CDs and brochures.
> >> Please discuss the tax benefits of donating with your accountant.
> >> You can make a donation to our primary treasury, Team OpenOffice.org,
> e.V. via PayPal or credit card or use bank transfer.
> >> Or, if you prefer to donate US dolars (USD) via credit card, cheque or
> money order, you can use use Software In the Public Interest, Inc. (SPI),
> and simply identify the recipient project, OpenOffice.org, where indicataed
> in the instructions SPI provides: SPI Donations for OpenOffice.org . (SPI
> does not accept PayPal or wire transfers.)
> >>
> > Clearly there ought to be changes to the page and process when/if the
> podling happens. This is probably at the ASF Board level... certainly the

*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin...welcome.  Nice to see you post here.

Danese

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Martin Hollmichel <

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Martin Hollmichel <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Florian Effenberger <fl...@documentfoundation.org>.
Hi,

Martin Hollmichel wrote on 2011-06-09 11.20:

> Team OOo donation are not tax-deductible, as not want have all spendings
> as especially meritorious. Of course Team OOo is a non-profit
> organization and more flexible in spendings. My understanding is that
> the especially meritorious term also limits spending inside Germany (see
> German link)

indeed, having it as "besonders förderungswürdig" brings the benefit of
getting tax bonuses and having donations as well as membership fees
tax-deductible, while it limits the way you can spend. Both options do
not affect, as far as I recall, the type of donations or their origin
that you can accept.

This combination of two associations so far worked very well, because
depending on what was needed, it was one or the other association that
could step in, as both models have their advantage, indeed.

Just as an example: In the past, we often had it that OOoDeV/FrODeV paid
for the trade show booth e.g. at CeBIT, while TeamOOo jumped in with
travel fundings.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <fl...@documentfoundation.org>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Martin Hollmichel <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 06/09/2011 10:32 AM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
[...]
> Maybe two things to add (and Martin, feel free to correct me):
>
> TeamOOo: donations are not tax-deductible, as not approved as
> not-for-profit, but thus more flexible in handling money spending
> outside of Germany.
>
> FrODeV: donations are tax-deductible, we are approved as
> not-for-profit and as especially meritorius ("besonders
> förderungswürdig"), but thus a bit more limited in spending outside of
> Germany.
Team OOo donation are not tax-deductible, as not want have all spendings
as especially meritorious. Of course Team OOo is a non-profit
organization and more flexible in spendings. My understanding is that
the especially meritorious term also limits spending inside Germany (see
German link)
http://nw.vibss.de/finanzen/steuern/zuwendungsrecht-spenden/besonders-foerderungswuerdig-anerkannte-zwecke/)
I would expect FrODeV can do spending under item 4 "Förderung der
Jugend- und Altenhilfe" (sponsorship of youth welfare) )or item 7
"Förderung der Erziehung, Volks- und Berufsbildung einschließlich der
Studentenhilfe" (sponsorship of education) as described in the charter
of FroDev ("Der gemeinnützige Verein Freies Office Deutschland e.V. hat
sich zum Ziel gesetzt, über den Einsatz von freier Software insbesondere
im Bereich Bürosoftware zu informieren.") to inform about the
deployments of free software wrt Office Productivity.

> NB: every association can decide if they want to run for it or not, so
> it is *not* a governmental judgement.
yes, this decision has to be made in the charter and get approved by the
tax office,

> Florian

Martin

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Florian Effenberger <fl...@documentfoundation.org>.
Hi,

Charles-H. Schulz wrote on 2011-06-09 10.28:
> - TeamOOo e.V: Association of the Hamburg engineers (primarily) --->  OOo
> - FroDe.V, formerly OOoDe.V: users/community association in Germany
> channelling funds under two separate accounts for LibreOffice and
> OpenOffice, and also acting as the intermediary legal entity on behalf of
> TDF.

exactly. Maybe two things to add (and Martin, feel free to correct me):

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by "Charles-H. Schulz" <ch...@documentfoundation.org>.
Hello everyone,

2011/6/9 Florian Effenberger <fl...@documentfoundation.org>

> Hi,
>
> Andy Brown wrote on 2011-06-09 01.42:
>
>  It would be interesting to find out if all funds received for OOo were
>> accounted for since the fork.  The e.V changed names and collects
>> donations for LibreOffice,
>> http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/ .
>>

> as a German approved, charitable/non-profit organization, we are bound to
> the subject of use for donations we receive. That means, if someone
> explicitly donates for OpenOffice.org or for LibreOffice, money will be used
> exclusively for this purpose. You could, e.g., also donate to a specific
> project we set-up (like developing XYZ component), then the donation would
> have to be used exclusively for that.
>
> The change of our name reflects we are supporting not only OOo or LibO, but
> all free office suites.

So to summarize:

- TeamOOo e.V: Association of the Hamburg engineers (primarily) --- > OOo
- FroDe.V, formerly OOoDe.V: users/community association in Germany
channelling funds under two separate accounts for LibreOffice and
OpenOffice, and also acting as the intermediary legal entity on behalf of
TDF.

I hope everything's a bit clearer.

Best,

Charles.

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Florian Effenberger <fl...@documentfoundation.org>.
Hi,

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 2:07 AM, <do...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> In the same regard, the Team OpenOffice.org e.V. to which IBM and other
> corporate sponsors provided annual financial support may now wish to
> consider consolidation with http://www.frodev.org/. If that seems
> inappropriate, perhaps both need to be retired, as we pivot into the
> future with the ASF OpenOffice project while the TDF / LibreOffice.org
> project runs in parallel, and something new (I have no clue!) needs to be
> created....all for one, one for all.

It might make sense, yes, but in the end both eVs are independent legal
entities and what they do is up to their board members, so we're all going
to have to speak nicely to them whatever change we collectively desire!

S.

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by do...@us.ibm.com.
Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote on 06/08/2011 08:51:45 PM:

> From: Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
> Date: 06/08/2011 08:54 PM
> Subject: Re: OOo Monetary Donations
>
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> > > It would be interesting to find out if all funds received for OOo
were
> > accounted for since the fork.  The e.V changed names and collects
donations
> > for LibreOffice, http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/ .
> > >

> > Please tell me that does not mean that when people go to OOo
> > and make a donation that it winds up in TDF's coffers.
> >
> > Please.
> >

> OK :-)
>
> Doesn't look like they do, no. They benefit the OpenOffice.org
community.
> Mind you, that does include LibreOffice.

Are we parsing the meaning of the word 'is' here? I agree that there is
(1) massive, passionate, and caring OpenOffice.org community. Many have
expressed a strong desire to move forward, putting past wounds to heal. In
that spirit, I wholeheartedly agree with you.
A euro, a dollar, a yuan donated to this account is for the (1)
community...

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Jun 8, 2011, at 7:51 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

>>> It would be interesting to find out if all funds received for OOo were
>> accounted for since the fork.  The e.V changed names and collects donations
>> for LibreOffice, http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/ .
>>>

>> Please tell me that does not mean that when people go to OOo
>> and make a donation that it winds up in TDF's coffers.
>>
>> Please.
>>

> OK :-)
>
> Doesn't look like they do, no. They benefit the OpenOffice.org community.
> Mind you, that does include LibreOffice.

That's cool and no problem... I just was not anticipating
the possible sh*tstorm that would have resulted... Anyone
else popping Xanax like tictacs?

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 8, 2011, at 5:51 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

>>> It would be interesting to find out if all funds received for OOo were
>> accounted for since the fork.  The e.V changed names and collects donations
>> for LibreOffice, http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/ .
>>>

>> Please tell me that does not mean that when people go to OOo
>> and make a donation that it winds up in TDF's coffers.
>>
>> Please.
>>

> OK :-)
>
> Doesn't look like they do, no. They benefit the OpenOffice.org community.
> Mind you, that does include LibreOffice.

The bank routing information on Team OpenOffice.org e.V. [1] differs from Freies Office Deutschland e.V. [2] which differs from Freies Office Deutschland e.V. [3] - the accounts are separated.

It looks like the TDF/LO people had an email thread about this and other matters in October, 2010. [4] It looks like some of the major wounds to the OOo are around this issue and community budget. Oracle basically took over.  Oracle should know where the donations are.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://contributing.openoffice.org/donate.html
[2] http://www.frodev.org/spenden
[3] http://challenge.documentfoundation.org/spenden/
[4] http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/We-re-on-slashdot-td1718603.html

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Le 9 juin 11 à 02:51, Simon Phipps a écrit :

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please.
>>

> OK :-)
>
> Doesn't look like they do, no. They benefit the OpenOffice.org
> community.
> Mind you, that does include LibreOffice.

Well, I'm absolutely NOT ok with that.  There are people like me who
DO NOT want to depend on the TDF.

This will maintain the confusion.

Regards,
Eric Bachard

--
qɔᴉɹə
Education Project:

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2011, at 6:42 PM, Andy Brown wrote:
>
>> Andrew Rist wrote:
>>> to a foundation independent of Oracle: Team OpenOffice.org e.V.
>>> searching for a more complete answer
>>>

>> It would be interesting to find out if all funds received for OOo were accounted for since the fork.  The e.V changed names and collects donations for LibreOffice, http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/ .
>>

> Please tell me that does not mean that when people go to OOo
> and make a donation that it winds up in TDF's coffers.
>
> Please.

It would seem that is not the case.  Two different organizations.  The
other organization, per their web site, accepts donations for both with
different accounts for each.

Andy

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Simon Phipps wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Andy Brown<an...@the-martin-byrd.net>wrote:
>
>> Andrew Rist wrote:
>>
>>> to a foundation independent of Oracle: Team OpenOffice.org e.V.
>>> searching for a more complete answer
>>>

>> It would be interesting to find out if all funds received for OOo were
>> accounted for since the fork.  The e.V changed names and collects donations
>> for LibreOffice, http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/ .
>>

> Are you sure about that? Do you have references? I looked at the 2009
> accounts for FrODeV[1] and they seem to indicate that the entity was
> actually something called "Verein OpenOffice.org Deutschland eV", prior to
> being renamed, and they say they maintain a separate account for TDF[2]
> anyway.
>
> S.
>

> [1] http://www.frodev.org/downloads-1
> [2] http://www.frodev.org/spenden

It seems I made a mistake in that, I am sorry.

The Team: OpenoOffice.org e.V. is different than OpenOffice.org Germany
(OOoDeV) which renamed.

Andy

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>wrote:

> Andrew Rist wrote:
>
>> to a foundation independent of Oracle: Team OpenOffice.org e.V.
>> searching for a more complete answer
>>

> It would be interesting to find out if all funds received for OOo were
> accounted for since the fork.  The e.V changed names and collects donations
> for LibreOffice, http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/ .

As I recall the fund was always run strictly independently anyway - the
founders included Sun employees and the activity was scrutinised and
firewalled away from Sun. It was used mostly to make travel grants to allow
community members to attend events.

S.

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
http://www.teamopenoffice.de/

I believe it is at the disposal of the Community Council, so probably Louis
could give a more complete answer.

S.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com> wrote:

> to a foundation independent of Oracle: Team OpenOffice.org e.V.
> searching for a more complete answer
>

> Oracle Email Signature Logo
> Andrew Rist | Interoperability Architect
> Oracle Corporate Architecture Group
> Redwood Shores, CA | 650.506.9847
>

> On 6/8/2011 4:19 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
>> On Jun 8, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>
>>  I started looking around at the OOo website.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if now is the time to bring this up, but at
>>> http://contributing.openoffice.org/donate.html there is a solicitation
>>> for funds via three processes.
>>>
>>> Here's what the page says:
>>>
>>>  Your donation will go directly towards helping this project. Some of the

>>> podling happens. This is probably at the ASF Board level... certainly the
>>> "hiring developers" part doesn't fit...
>>>
>>>  btw, where do those funds go now?? I'm guessing some sort of
>> escrow account held by Oracle?

Simon Phipps
+1 415 683 7660 : www.webmink.com

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

OOo community organzations (was: OOo Monetary Donations)

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Does someone have a high-level org chart - so to speak - of the
OpenOffice.org community?  To be more specific, a chart or description
of all the recognizable groups (associations, corporations, memberships,
etc.) that are either directly in charge of some part of the OOo project
as a whole, or are obviously directly related to using the OOo project?

I think this would be tremendously useful for those of us who are not as
familiar with the OOo history and breadth (and different types of) the
community.

I agree this discussion would not need to gate an IPMC vote.

- Shane

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Florian Effenberger <fl...@documentfoundation.org>.
Hi,

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote on 2011-06-09 15.21:
> together.  The only influence Apache has is indirect, via its eventual
> control of the OOo trademark, logo and website.  Since fundraising is a

just a quick note to that - it doesn't affect the German association
very much, but: Once granted use of the trademark, like for events, logo
use, merchandising or entity names, can be pretty hard to be revoked.

IIRC, there is no bullet-proof track record of how it was dealt with at
OOo, and I myself am aware of several trademark grants that were not
tied to anything.

So, again, it shouldn't affect the German association that much, as
their name is changed anyways, but enforcing a strict trademark policy
can get hard...

Florian

--

Posted by ro...@us.ibm.com.
Volker Merschmann <me...@gmail.com> wrote on 06/09/2011 02:33:09 AM:

> as most of the discussion happened when I slept, I will give a
> summarizinig answer from the top. (With unusally top-posting against
> the netiquette)
>
> There are two associations (german: "eingetragener Verein" abbrev. e.V.)
>
> - Team OpenOffice.org e.V., based in Hamburg. The members are
> Sun/Oracle employees and it is handling the marketing budget for the
> international Openoffice.org marketing. (IBM has already been
> mentioned as a donator). They fund travel, T-Shirts, Posters, booth
> fees and so on. (Donations from the mentioned page go to them)
>
> - Freies Office Deutchland e.V. (abbrev. FrODeV), whose name was
> OpenOffice.org Deutschland e.V. up to spring of this year, based in
> Wiesbaden. Members are individuals and companies merely from Germany.
> The association has promoted all around OpenOffice.org in Germany
> since years by funding as aboven and by organizing own events as a
> congress for Business and Administration beside community events for
> QA and general project work. It is also promoting LibreOffice now,
> therefore the name has been changed. Donators can tell if the donation
> should be spent for a specific project.
> Until the TDF is legally founded it is the legal basis for TDF, being
> contractor for webhosting, lawsuits etc.

This is great information.  But can I make a suggestion?  I don't think
this is a discussion that we can really make any progress with now, in
reviewing an incubation proposal.  I'm not even sure this is something
that will be within the ambit of the podling or the IPMC to decide.

In the end, Apache has no direct control over other non-profits with
charters that allow them to raise funds to support OOo, TDF, or both
together.  The only influence Apache has is indirect, via its eventual
control of the OOo trademark, logo and website.  Since fundraising is a
foundation-level concern, not a project-level concern, I assume the
question of where the existing "donate now" link directs to, if such a
link continues to exist, will be an Apache Board decision, where they will
weigh numerous factors ranging from jurisdiction to tax status to
accountability, etc.

-Rob

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Volker Merschmann <me...@gmail.com>.
Good morning,

[...]

Volker

2011/6/8 Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>:
> I started looking around at the OOo website.
>
> I'm not sure if now is the time to bring this up, but at http://contributing.openoffice.org/donate.html there is a solicitation for funds via three processes.
>
> Here's what the page says:
>
>> Your donation will go directly towards helping this project. Some of the ways in which your funds might be used include:
>>       • Hiring independent developers to work with OpenOffice.org.
>>       • Paying for participation at trade shows and conferences.
>>       • Paying for organization and staff at annual OpenOffice.org Conference, OOoCon.
>>       • Marketing banners, collateral, CDs and brochures.
>> Please discuss the tax benefits of donating with your accountant.
>> You can make a donation to our primary treasury, Team OpenOffice.org, e.V. via PayPal or credit card or use bank transfer.
>> Or, if you prefer to donate US dolars (USD) via credit card, cheque or money order, you can use use Software In the Public Interest, Inc. (SPI), and simply identify the recipient project, OpenOffice.org, where indicataed in the instructions SPI provides: SPI Donations for OpenOffice.org . (SPI does not accept PayPal or wire transfers.)
>>

> Clearly there ought to be changes to the page and process when/if the podling happens. This is probably at the ASF Board level... certainly the "hiring developers" part doesn't fit...
>
> Regards,
> Dave

Volker Merschmann

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Indeed, the ASF has been consistent that monetary donations be made to
the ASF as a whole, and we have not accepted targeted cash donations for
specific projects in the past.  And as a Foundation, we have not paid
directly for development on our projects (although obviously we have a
paid sysadmin staff, as well as paying for our significant hardware and
bandwidth needs, etc.)

Guidelines for individual contributions:
  http://www.apache.org/foundation/contributing.html

Guidelines for recurring larger contributions:
  http://www.apache.org/foundation/sponsorship.html

- Shane

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by André Schnabel <an...@gmx.net>.
Hi Simon,

Am 09.06.2011 00:14, schrieb Simon Phipps:

>> Presumably it would also be possible to have a group outside ASF called eg
>> Friends of Open Office ( FOO) that raised money and put it to code
>> development or marketing or whatever. Not saying that is the best way just
>> its a possibility.
>>
> Doesn't one of those already exist?

I know, you referre to FroDeV here - but in fact many of such entities
exist. E.g. TeamOOo (the primary association for funds handling at the
OOo project), PLIO in Italy, there are associations France, afaik in
Japan and other countries as well to support the OpenOffice.org
Community.  Not counted the many associations that have ODF focus.

Regarding FrODev - Florian mentioned this every now and then - it is the
interim entity to handle donations and legal assets for TDF. The
association has been established the German Community around OOo (now we
speak about supporting Free Office Suites in Germany) - and for several
reasons we like (and have) to keep it that way.

regards,

André

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by do...@us.ibm.com.
Don Harbison
Program Director, IBM ODF Initiative
Tel. +1-978-399-7018
Mobile: +1-978-761-0116
Email: donald_harbison@us.ibm.com

http://www.friendsofopendocument.com/newsite/

> I was actually thinking of Freies Office Deutschland e.V. primarily,
> http://www.frodev.org/
>
> S.
Yes. Clearly. The appeal is now very prominently displayed on TDF
homepage. http://www.documentfoundation.org/

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:43 AM, <do...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Don Harbison
> Program Director, IBM ODF Initiative
> Tel. +1-978-399-7018
> Mobile: +1-978-761-0116
> Email: donald_harbison@us.ibm.com
>
> Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote on 06/08/2011 07:51:20 PM:
>
> > From: Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
> > To: general@incubator.apache.org
> > Date: 06/08/2011 07:52 PM
> > Subject: Re: OOo Monetary Donations

> > > Interesting.  That happens to also be where TDF donations go:
> > >
> > > http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/
> > >

> > Indeed - if you look at FrODeV's articles it's established to support
> the
> > OpenOffice.org community in general, which includes LibreOffice.
>
> Reference please?

Articles are here: http://www.frodev.org/satzung
The press statement on their home page http://www.frodev.org/ explains more
succinctly (Google Translated):
"The nonprofit organization OpenOffice.org Germany (OOoDeV) today announced
it will continue to support all the free office suites. This includes the
Document maintained by the Foundation libre office, all other Office
programs that are available as free software and build on open document
formats.

 For this reason, a broad membership base of almost 75% approved the name
change to "Free Office of Germany" (FrODeV)."

The donations page http://www.frodev.org/spenden also clarifies:

"For donations in support of The Document Foundation, we have set up a
separate account. Information, see
http://challenge.documentfoundation.org/spenden/<http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&langpair=auto%7Cen&rurl=translate.google.com&tbb=1&twu=1&u=http://challenge.documentfoundation.org/spenden/&usg=ALkJrhiB6QV2iuNG_NwQIUugQr3ln4tU1A>."

As far as I can determine, this is all unrelated to Team OpenOffice.org eV,
but all the people I could ask about it are obviously asleep (like I should

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 8 June 2011 22:50, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Dave Fisher wrote:
>
> > Your donation will go directly towards helping this project. Some of the
> ways
> > in which your funds might be used include:
> >       • Hiring independent developers to work with OpenOffice.org.
> >       • Paying for participation at trade shows and conferences.
> >       • Paying for organization and staff at annual OpenOffice.org
> Conference,
> OOoCon.
> >       • Marketing banners, collateral, CDs and brochures.
>
> > Clearly there ought to be changes to the page and process when/if the
> podling
> > happens. This is probably at the ASF Board level... certainly the "hiring
> > developers" part doesn't fit...
>
> Well ... that's an interesting question.  While hiring could happen outside
> of the ASF, AFAIK there is nothing to stop us from accepting funds and
> having a group (analogous to our Travel Assistance process) that offered
> payment, a la Google Code or other.
>
> I do agree that I'd like to see the Board and Membership weigh in on that
> discussion if/when it ever becomes one.

Presumably it would also be possible to have a group outside ASF called eg
Friends of Open Office ( FOO) that raised money and put it to code
development or marketing or whatever. Not saying that is the best way just
its a possibility.
--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

RE: OOo Monetary Donations

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Dave Fisher wrote:

> Your donation will go directly towards helping this project. Some of the
ways
> in which your funds might be used include:
> 	• Hiring independent developers to work with OpenOffice.org.
> 	• Paying for participation at trade shows and conferences.
> 	• Paying for organization and staff at annual OpenOffice.org Conference,
OOoCon.
> 	• Marketing banners, collateral, CDs and brochures.

> Clearly there ought to be changes to the page and process when/if the
podling
> happens. This is probably at the ASF Board level... certainly the "hiring
> developers" part doesn't fit...

Well ... that's an interesting question.  While hiring could happen outside
of the ASF, AFAIK there is nothing to stop us from accepting funds and
having a group (analogous to our Travel Assistance process) that offered
payment, a la Google Code or other.

I do agree that I'd like to see the Board and Membership weigh in on that
discussion if/when it ever becomes one.

	--- Noel