Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> on 2014/10/16 20:58:46 UTC

adding push notifications to core plugins

just was discussing w/ Shaz and Jesse…thoughts?

Re: adding push notifications to core plugins

Posted by Bryan Higgins <br...@bryanhiggins.net>.
+1 so I don't have to bug Jesse to merge my pull requests anymore ;)

Posted by Darryl Pogue <dv...@gmail.com>.
On 16 October 2014 12:17, Shazron <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 esp since we have an emerging "standard" now:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-push-api-20141007/

This would be a great addition, especially if it can follow the
emerging spec and provide a unified registration API across platforms.
The main complexity with the spec is that it delves into
ServiceWorkers :(

Re: adding push notifications to core plugins

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
it is very easily arguable that notifications are important to mobile, and
important enough that we should look at ensuring Cordova as a platform
supports them well

but agreed we need to pull up our socks on the older stuff, and maybe do
some housecleaning

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
My feelings are the same a Joe here. Current plugins are deteriorating.
Camera is especially bad.

Another reason to not dive in is that this isn't a trivial plugin to
create. The PushPlugin highlighted seems to always result in notifications
when pushes are received. The spec highlighted (as well as how native apps
work on Android) deliver the message and it's up to the app to show a
notification or not. Cordova on Android isn't currently able to work in
this way.

Posted by tommy-carlos williams <to...@devgeeks.org>.
This

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.