Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by lahiru gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/20 06:45:01 UTC

Re: Fortnight report (week 3-4)

Hi Marnie and Aidan,

   - Started implementing list command.

   - Now list command works with following options and following option
   values

   1. list -o queue           : list all the queue objects currently in the
   broker
   2. list -o virtualhost     : list all the virtualhost objects
   3. list -o all             : list all the mbeans and with all the
   attributes
   4. list -d                 : list all the domains in the broker

   -  After implementing those features I thought of giving somewhat
   formatted output and did some coding inorder to get a nice output for these
   previos commands.

   - Change the code as Aidan last week by phone and that code is far more
   better that the one
   - I wrote earlier and Aidan thanks for pointing that out.

   -  As Marnie ask me several types of objects to display using list
   command I tried to implement those features too.

   1. These objects
   2. Connection
   3. Consumers
   4. publishers

Issues
======
 Since those objects are not listing in jconsole when we start the broker
and monitor without running any client I couldn't
 write that code and check whether it's working or not.So that's why I
thought of going through the broker code and find some way of access those
information or change the broker code inorder to create those objects even
when it start in normal mode(without running any client) then I can monitor
them easily in jconsole and find some way to access those MBeans.Do you have
any idea of doing this that would be really great to finish the
implementation of the command list. And once we finish that I think if we
can ask QPID users to use them and suggest some more features to
implement(new commands or some more options to list command) in interactive
mode.And when they use this in with a real broker we'll be able to find some
bugs in the code and I'm happy to fix them too.

Any comments about my work for last two weeks.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Lahiru

Re: Fortnight report (week 3-4)

Posted by lahiru gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>.
hi Aidan,
I'm working on pre-M3 branch and I couldn't find those Publisher and
consumer classes. Could you please tell me to which brach do I have to patch
from the following M2.
M1/ <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/qpid/branches/M1/>
M2/ <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/qpid/branches/M2/>
M2.0.0.0_patch/<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/qpid/branches/M2.0.0.0_patch/>
M2.1-release/<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/qpid/branches/M2.1-release/>
M2.1.1/ <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/qpid/branches/M2.1.1/>
M2.1.x/ <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/qpid/branches/M2.1.x/>
M2.x/ <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/qpid/branches/M2.x/> And
when we concern Publisher classes there are so many publisher classes in
several places. It's bit of confusing.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:07 AM, lahiru gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hey, that's great work! I'm really pleased with the progress you're
> making and the way the code is structured. :)
>
> > Yep I think so. Could you please specify me what to be instrument. At the
> > moment I'm working on instrumenting Publisher object. What else you want
> ?
>
> Consumers and Connections (Sessions)

As I told you Session is already instrumented(with AMQProtocolSessionMBean
and AMQMinaProtocolSession classes) but when I'm trying to access using the
CLI I couldn't access it and even the Jconsole doesn't show that and I'm
looking in to that too.

Thanks
Lahiru

Re: Fortnight report (week 3-4)

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:07 AM, lahiru gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey, that's great work! I'm really pleased with the progress you're
making and the way the code is structured. :)

> Yep I think so. Could you please specify me what to be instrument. At the
> moment I'm working on instrumenting Publisher object. What else you want ?

Consumers and Connections (Sessions) would seem the two next to do to

Re: Fortnight report (week 3-4)

Posted by lahiru gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>.
hi Aidan,

First thanks for the reply and I was waiting for a reply.

Re: Fortnight report (week 3-4)

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Re: Fortnight report (week 3-4)

Posted by lahiru gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marnie and Aidan,

I have gone through the qpid code last couple of days and able to understand
the management code.If I am suppose to instrument some more objects which
haven't already instrumented Now I'm in a possition to implement those
things in Qpid code but I have no idea how should I do that. Do I have to do
the modification and raise a Jira and attach the patch or what should I
do(at the moment I'm working on M3 ).

Now list command supports to all the objects types it has instrumented other
than ProtocolSession.
Still I have to following problem can anyone answer my question please .....
:-)

Re: Fortnight report (week 3-4)

Posted by lahiru gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>.
hi Marnie and Aidan,

Re: Fortnight report (week 3-4)

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Lahiru,

Thanks for your status report - very useful.

Firstly, I think your progress is good and I've been pleased with the way in
which you're approaching your project & resolving the issues you encounter.
Well done !

I think your proposal to add extra mbean methods to expose the various
objects you've noted (from my suggestions - noted below) is a good one.

Aidan & I discussed a two step progression from where you are now (good
foundation for the CLI structure, existing properties listable) to a more
functionally rich (useful for users) app.

Step 1 would be to add the extra attributes for listing information. Step 2
is to identify & expose the management objects and allow them to be managed
i.e. figure out between us what users might want to do from the CLI in the
way of management including killing connections etc. Some of this is there
already, and available via the console - other bits will be new.

So, for example - the ability to kill a connection is probably there and to
remove a message (possibly only from the front of the q) but it'd be good to