Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "David F. Colwell" <df...@dfcolwell.com> on 2005/03/18 21:19:40 UTC

TROUBLE in child_init_hook: BDB no dbS

Has anyone else been getting these lately?  It has shut down my incoming
mail.

    amavis[23480]: TROUBLE in child_init_hook: BDB no dbS: Lock table is
    out of available locker entries, No such file or directory. at (eval
    36) line 25.

Mark Martinec's mailing of 8/20/04 11:07 AM suggested the following test:

    [root@ns1 log]# db_stat -c -h /var/amavis/db
    801729  Last allocated locker ID.
    2147M   Current maximum unused locker ID.
    5       Number of lock modes.
    1000    Maximum number of locks possible.
    1000    Maximum number of lockers possible.
    1000    Maximum number of lock objects possible.
    500     Number of current locks.
    502     Maximum number of locks at any one time.
    1000    Number of current lockers.
    1000    Maximum number of lockers at any one time.
    2       Number of current lock objects.
    5       Maximum number of lock objects at any one time.
    178546  Total number of locks requested.
    124717  Total number of locks released.
    0       Total number of lock requests failing because DB_LOCK_NOWAIT
    was set.
    92      Total number of locks not immediately available due to
    conflicts.
    0       Number of deadlocks.
    0       Lock timeout value.
    0       Number of locks that have timed out.
    0       Transaction timeout value.
    0       Number of transactions that have timed out.
    440KB   The size of the lock region..
    121     The number of region locks granted after waiting.
    4359883 The number of region locks granted without waiting.

Mark's mailing of 1/8/05 7:18 suggests:

    What version of Berkeley libdb you have? It is reported at startup,
    e.g.:

    [98011]: Creating db in /var/amavis/db/; BerkeleyDB 0.26, libdb 4.2

    The last time the 'Lock table is out of available locker entries'
    was reported
    it was with some 3.x version of libdb and an upgrade to 4.2 helped.

I have 4.2.52

Mark et al of 2/2/05 6:49 PM had several ideas.  I now have enable_db=0
for expediency but hope to resolve this.
after restarting amavisd, postfix and spamassassin ...

    [root@ns1 log]# /usr/src/amavisd/amavisd-new-2.2.1/amavisd-nanny
    BDB no dbN 1: Lock table is out of available locker entries No such
    file or directory at
    /usr/src/amavisd/amavisd-new-2.2.1/amavisd-nanny line 78.
    exited

The documentation for BerkeleyDB, trouble shooting section, acknowledges
the excessive locking problems...
"file:///usr/src/db-4.2.52/docs/ref/debug/common.html" directs us to
"file:///usr/src/db-4.2.52/docs/ref/transapp/put.html"

... but as I am a user and not a developer I feel I have uncovered as
much as I can.  As Paul Jacobson indicated on 2/2/05 the problem may be
with SA's db calls and the BerkeleyDB docs certainly suggest it is
possible.  I am posting to amavis-user@lists.sourceforge.net because it
has had threads on this subject, users@spamassassin.apache.org does not
appear to have any.
I can see that any rebuilding of db's would give temporary relief as it
would clear the lockers, but they would eventually re-congest.

Is this a problem for amavis or SA developers?

Thanks.

Dave