Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is> on 2013/03/07 17:58:56 UTC

SvnServe with Windows AD Authendication

Hi Team,

Is possible to integrate svnserve subversion ( SVN://) with Windows 2003
Active Directory for authentication?

Could you please confirm.

Regards
Support Team.
VERNALIS SYSTEMS EMAIL NOTICE
-----------------------------
The information contained in this email and any attachments is
confidential and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual
property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not
authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you
notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from
your mail system.

Re: SvnServe with Windows AD Authendication

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Krishnamoorthi Gopal,
am Donnerstag, 7. März 2013 um 17:58 schrieben Sie:

> Is possible to integrate svnserve subversion ( SVN://)with Windows
> 2003  Active Directory for authentication?

This has been discussed recently:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-users/201303.mbox/%3CCAEyhmwZUJWNWCmFvYWWgqKEiPdDrXLZPGsCdqOHu5G9tNAGCNA@mail.gmail.com%3E

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: SvnServe with Windows AD Authendication

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Krishnamoorthi Gopal,
am Dienstag, 12. März 2013 um 14:45 schrieben Sie:

> Right now we are using subversion 5.X with SVN:// protocol.
>
> Our management requested to upgrade this version into 7.X with AD

You are missing a 1, it's 1.5 and 1.7.

> integration ( Only we need to use SVN ://)

Why do you favour using svn-protocol instead of https in favour of a
maybe just working solution für your AD-problem with https by using
VisualSVN?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Fwd: SvnServe with Windows AD Authendication

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
Posted by Joseba Ercilla Olabarri <jo...@gmail.com>.
krishnamoorthi@vernal.is> wrote:

> Our management requested to upgrade this version into 7.X with AD
> integration ( Only we need to use SVN ://)
>
> Is possible? ..please advise

Actually, what you need is a SSH server for windows that supports:
1) Tunneling ssh sessions to local (server) svnserve command executions
2) Authenticating ssh session through LDAP

Apparently there is a version of openSSH for windows, but don't know it's
current state neither about what features had been ported.
I'm currently using 1) like setup (but not on windows) working fine.
I haven't try 2) Perhaps somebody else can contribute.

Having said that, you probably have the perfect excuse to a) change the OS
or b) add http support.

-jeo

Re: SvnServe with Windows AD Authendication

Posted by Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>.
Hi,

Thanks for you info.

Right now we are using subversion 5.X with SVN:// protocol.

Our management requested to upgrade this version into 7.X with AD
integration ( Only we need to use SVN ://)

Is possible? ..please advise

Regards
Krishna

From:
Pavel Lyalyakin <pa...@visualsvn.com>
To:
Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>
Cc:
users@subversion.apache.org
Date:
03/12/2013 07:09 PM
Re: SvnServe with Windows AD Authendication

Hello Krishna,

> Is possible to integrate svnserve subversion ( SVN://) with Windows 2003
> Active Directory for authentication?

Have you tried to setup VisualSVN Server? VisualSVN Server is
recognized as the easiest way to setup and maintain a Subversion
server on the Windows platform.

We worked hard to make the Subversion server for Windows which is
extremely simple and comfortable to maintain. It installs in a couple
of seconds and integration with an Active Directory works (!) out of
the box. VisualSVN Server supports only HTTP(S) protocol though. Check
the VisualSVN Server features list at
http://www.visualsvn.com/server/features/ and Getting Started guide at
http://www.visualsvn.com/server/getting-started/ for further details.

You can see the lightning-fast installation of VisualSVN Server in the
Pluralsight training video "Learn To Install SVN In Five Easy
Minutes!" at
http://blog.pluralsight.com/2012/02/14/learn-to-install-svn-in-five-easy-minutes/
.

Thank you!

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin

Posted by Pavel Lyalyakin <pa...@visualsvn.com>.
Hello Krishna,

Posted by Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>.
Hi Scott,

Thanks,

Done with AD integration by using collabnet Package.But i am having some
issues.

My setup Details :

Package Name : Collabnet Subversion Edge 1.7 which is include apache

Issue :

Only supporting to create SVN repository in root.Can't able to create
secondary level repository.

Example :

Root is - CSVN

Repository 1 :   https://svnserver/svn/myrepo1        - working copy

Repository 2  : https://svnserver/svn/Projectname/myrepo2           - Not
working
                              https://svnserver/svn/Projectname/myrepo3
 - Not working

Regards
Support Team.

From:
"Scott R. Keszler" <ke...@srkconsulting.com>
To:
Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>
Cc:
users@subversion.apache.org
Date:
03/08/2013 08:00 PM
Re: SvnServe with Windows AD Authendication

It's possible, and actually fairly simple.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=subversion+apache+ldap+3268+active+directory yields
lots of good links.

You'll want to use port 3268 to talk to AD instead of the standard LDAP
port 389; some of the links from the above will explain why.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Branko Čibej wrote on Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 08:46:03 +0100:
> On 11.03.2013 07:58, Krishnamoorthi Gopal wrote:
> >
> > Hi Scott,
> >
> > Thanks for your information.
> >
> > Right now i don't have apache module in my subversion server.I am
> > using subversion by running svnserve.exe as windows service.
> >
> > In this environment how can i integrate with AD with my subversion.
> >
> > Without apache it's possible to integrate..Please confirm?
>
> No. Svnserve does not let you use external authentication mechanisms.

subversion/svnserve/cyrus_sasl.c ?

Re: SvnServe with Windows AD Authendication

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 11.03.2013 07:58, Krishnamoorthi Gopal wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Thanks for your information.
>
> Right now i don't have apache module in my subversion server.I am
> using subversion by running svnserve.exe as windows service.
>
> In this environment how can i integrate with AD with my subversion.
>
> Without apache it's possible to integrate..Please confirm?

No. Svnserve does not let you use external authentication mechanisms.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej

Re: SvnServe with Windows AD Authendication

Posted by Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>.
Hi,

Please share your thoughts

>I'm not a Windows guy and am not familiar with the services that Windows
2003 Server provides. Could you explain in >more detail in what ways you
want Subversion to integrate with it?

Right now we are using svn internal authentication( passwd and
svnserve.conf)

Instead Of we are plan to use windows Active directory account for SVN.

Regards
Support Team.

From:
Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>
To:
Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>
Cc:
Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>, Joseba Ercilla Olabarri
<jo...@gmail.com>, users@subversion.apache.org
Date:
03/27/2013 04:48 AM

On Mar 26, 2013, at 15:49, Krishnamoorthi Gopal wrote:

> Right now i am having more than 250 repository with format what
described below.

> I am going to put entry for each repository what you suggest. Is this
advisable....

Subversion is flexible, so if this type of hierarchical arrangement makes
the most sense to you, then you can certainly do that -- at the expense of
having to maintain this configuration yourself in the Apache configuration
file, instead of using the easier interface Subversion Edge makes
available.

> Also i want to integrate svn with windows 2003 server.i hope you guide
me .

Posted by Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>.
Hi Mark,

Currently my svn server used in production and it's having more than 5
repository inside each project Folder.
.
If i moved all repository into root what you said below,again i want  to
redistribute the New SVN URL to users right..?

Please advise to me overcome this issue

Thanks again

Sorry for my typos

Regards
Support Team.

From:
Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>
To:
Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>
Cc:
Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>, Joseba Ercilla Olabarri
<jo...@gmail.com>, Ryan Schmidt
<su...@ryandesign.com>, "users@subversion.apache.org"
<us...@subversion.apache.org>
Date:
03/27/2013 10:30 PM
Re: SvnServe with Windows AD Authendication

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Krishnamoorthi Gopal <
krishnamoorthi@vernal.is> wrote:

Hi,

Yes i agree with your statement.

But i am currently having SVN Server 1.5 without apache.

Also my current repositories look like below

svn://svnserver/svn/Projectname1/myrepo2
svn://svnserver/svn/Projectname1/myrepo3
svn://svnserver/svn/Projectname2/myrepo1

Each Project having two more repositories.How can i move these repository
with same url setup into Edge.

SVN Edge does not support svn:// protocol, so your URL has to change no
matter what.  You also cannot use AD authentication with svn:// protocol.

Given that you have to change from svn:// to http:// then why not just
change the rest and put the repositories all in the same folder?  Or
rename the repositories to something like  projectname1_myrepo1  so that
they could all live in the same folder.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> Hi,
>
> Yes i agree with your statement.
>
> But i am currently having SVN Server 1.5 without apache.
>
> Also my current repositories look like below
>
> svn://svnserver/svn/Projectname1/myrepo2
> svn://svnserver/svn/Projectname1/myrepo3
> svn://svnserver/svn/Projectname2/myrepo1
>
> Each Project having two more repositories.How can i move these repository
> with same url setup into Edge.
>
> Please guide me to migrate my current setup into  what you have.

I have not known (or read about) anyone to get Active Directory working with svnserver. Supposedly it is possible... so someone else would have to help you.

If you move to edge you would be using Apache and would be changing to the http:// protocol. So, your URL would change, but your clients can use a simple switch command to modify the URL of their existing working copies, we did the same thing. The main reason I moved to SVN Edge was to be able to use Active Directory (windows domain) logins so I wouldn't have to manage passwords. Now I just need to add/remove people from an Active Directory group that IT made me the admin of.

Also, moving to edge would be an easy way to upgrade to 1.7.x, since that is the latest and greatest.

You also should be able to set up SVN Edge without taking down your svnserve instance. Once you are satisfied that it is up and running and everything is working you can notify your users that they need to switch to the new url, and then you can stop the svnserve service.

Posted by Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>.
Hi,

From:
Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>
To:
Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>, Ryan Schmidt
<su...@ryandesign.com>
Cc:
Joseba Ercilla Olabarri <jo...@gmail.com>, Mark Phippard
<ma...@gmail.com>, "users@subversion.apache.org"
<us...@subversion.apache.org>
Date:
03/27/2013 10:13 PM

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

Posted by Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>.
Hi,

From:
Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>
To:
Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>
Cc:
Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>, Joseba Ercilla Olabarri
<jo...@gmail.com>, users@subversion.apache.org
Date:
03/27/2013 04:48 AM

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>.
Hi,

Thanks you so much.

From:
Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>
To:
Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>
Cc:
Joseba Ercilla Olabarri <jo...@gmail.com>,
users@subversion.apache.org
Date:
03/27/2013 02:05 AM
Re: SvnServe with Windows AD Authendication

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Krishnamoorthi Gopal <
krishnamoorthi@vernal.is> wrote:

Hi Mark,

Thanks

Is possible to achieve this  features by adding any other modules in
apache.

Your help is much appreciated

If you want that behavior you have to edit the Apache configuration files
and add a unique Location directive for each folder you want.

<Location /svn/Projectname1>
 SVNParentPath /repositories/Projectname1
</Location>

<Location /svn/Projectname2>
 SVNParentPath /repositories/Projectname2
</Location>

Etc.

You cannot do this via the SVN Edge web UI.  You also will not be able to
create repositories in these folders via the UI.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>.
Hi Mark,

From:
Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>
To:
Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>
Cc:
Joseba Ercilla Olabarri <jo...@gmail.com>,
users@subversion.apache.org
Date:
03/27/2013 01:49 AM
Re: SvnServe with Windows AD Authendication

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Krishnamoorthi Gopal <
krishnamoorthi@vernal.is> wrote:

Hi JEO,

Thanks,

Could you please confirm below features is possible using Collabnet SVN
with apache.

My setup Details :

Package Name : Collabnet Subversion Edge 1.7 which is include apache

Issue :

Only supporting to create SVN repository in root.Can't able to create
secondary level repository.

Example :

Root is - CSVN

Repository 1 :   https://svnserver/svn/myrepo1
       - working copy

Repository 2  : https://svnserver/svn/Projectname/myrepo2           - Not
working
                              https://svnserver/svn/Projectname/myrepo3
        - Not working

Your help is much appreciated.

You cannot create an arbitrary folder name "Projectname" as mod_dav_svn
does not support that.  It will only serve repositories that live in the
root of the folder specified in the SVNParentPath directive.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>.
Hi JEO,

Thanks,

Could you please confirm below features is possible using Collabnet SVN
with apache.

My setup Details :

Package Name : Collabnet Subversion Edge 1.7 which is include apache

Issue :

Only supporting to create SVN repository in root.Can't able to create
secondary level repository.

Example :

Root is - CSVN

Repository 1 :   https://svnserver/svn/myrepo1        - working copy

Repository 2  : https://svnserver/svn/Projectname/myrepo2           - Not
working
                              https://svnserver/svn/Projectname/myrepo3
 - Not working

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards
Krishna

From:
Joseba Ercilla Olabarri <jo...@gmail.com>
To:
Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>
Cc:
users@subversion.apache.org, "Scott R. Keszler"
<ke...@srkconsulting.com>
Date:
03/11/2013 02:10 PM
Re: SvnServe with Windows AD Authendication

Hi all,
Not sure but, could be svn+ssh://  configuring sshd to do LDAP
authentication?
-jeo
El 11/03/2013 07:59, "Krishnamoorthi Gopal" <kr...@vernal.is>
escribió:

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your information.

Right now i don't have apache module in my subversion server.I am using
subversion by running svnserve.exe as windows service.

In this environment how can i integrate with AD with my subversion.

Without apache it's possible to integrate..Please confirm?

Regards
Support Team.

From:
"Scott R. Keszler" <ke...@srkconsulting.com>
To:
Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>
Cc:
users@subversion.apache.org
Date:
03/08/2013 08:00 PM

Posted by Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>.
Hi,

svn+ssh://  supports windows ..

Can you share any reference for installation and configuration.

Thanks
Krishna

From:
Joseba Ercilla Olabarri <jo...@gmail.com>
To:
Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>
Cc:
users@subversion.apache.org, "Scott R. Keszler"
<ke...@srkconsulting.com>
Date:
03/11/2013 02:10 PM

escribió:

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your information.

Right now i don't have apache module in my subversion server.I am using
subversion by running svnserve.exe as windows service.

In this environment how can i integrate with AD with my subversion.

Without apache it's possible to integrate..Please confirm?

Regards
Support Team.

From:
"Scott R. Keszler" <ke...@srkconsulting.com>
To:
Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>
Cc:
users@subversion.apache.org
Date:
03/08/2013 08:00 PM

Posted by Joseba Ercilla Olabarri <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Krishnamoorthi Gopal <kr...@vernal.is>.
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your information.

Right now i don't have apache module in my subversion server.I am using
subversion by running svnserve.exe as windows service.

In this environment how can i integrate with AD with my subversion.

Without apache it's possible to integrate..Please confirm?

Regards
Support Team.

From:
"Scott R. Keszler" <ke...@srkconsulting.com>