Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2021/04/21 07:52:30 UTC

GitHub CI failures

Hi all,

You may have noticed that the CI tests have started to failed for Java 8
on Windows at GitHub.

This appears to have started when GitHub updated the JDK from Zulu
8.0.282 to 8.0.292.

I have confirmed with local testing that I can recreate the failure with
Zulu 8.0.292 on Windows and that switching to Zulu 8.0.282 allows the
tests to complete.

Initial indications are, therefore, that this is a Zuku JDK issue. I
have opened an issue with Azul and I'll keep the list update with progress.

Mark

Re: GitHub CI failures

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 21/04/2021 08:52, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> You may have noticed that the CI tests have started to failed for Java 8
> on Windows at GitHub.
>
> This appears to have started when GitHub updated the JDK from Zulu
> 8.0.282 to 8.0.292.
>
> I have confirmed with local testing that I can recreate the failure with
> Zulu 8.0.292 on Windows and that switching to Zulu 8.0.282 allows the
> tests to complete.
>
> Initial indications are, therefore, that this is a Zuku JDK issue. I
> have opened an issue with Azul and I'll keep the list update with progress.

The root cause was starting Java with a zero length string as a command
line argument.

As of 8u29x, Java on Windows rejects this to align with other platforms.

Fixed in https://github.com/apache/tomcat/commit/46febe04 (and back-ported)

Mark