Posted to ivy-dev@incubator.apache.org by Stephen Nesbitt <sn...@cobaltgroup.com> on 2006/12/08 19:18:36 UTC

Re: Ivy scope clarification

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 8:54 am, Xavier Hanin wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > Thanks for the clarification.
> >
> > By the way, there is an other point to clarify concerning the scope
> > of ivy.
> > It is how far ivy goes (or want to go) in term of repository
> > management. There is already some important steps that ivy cover :
> > how to access a repository and how to fill a repository, how to
> > search artefact in a repository (limited to searching for last
> > integration, last release, etc), replicating/transforming
> > repositories... Etc.
> >
> > What is the intention there?  Where will ivy stop? (expl: more
>
> I don't know. I have already seen users asking for more repository
> management features, as those you evoke. So in my mind if there is a
> strong user need, then we should try to address it, otherwise it will
> be done in another tool, and we will have to keep tools in sync.
>
> But maybe others think that repository management should not be so
> tightly coupled with dependency management?
My initial reaction would be that repository management should not be
tightly coupled with dependency management. Nor do I think repository
management should be a development priority at this time.

I am dependent on Ivy for dependency management. I am not dependent on Ivy
for repository management.

-steve
--

Stephen Nesbitt