Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2004/09/28 06:40:45 UTC

[ANN] CVS to Subversion Conversion Wednesday

If there aren't any objections, I will ask infrastructure to perform the
actual conversion of Struts from CVS to Subversion.  The test conversion
has been up for over a week, and there haven't been any problems.

Again, if I don't hear different, I'll ask around Wednesday afternoon
for our repository to be converted at infrastructure's earliest
convenience.  Speak now or forever hold your peace :)

Don

Re: [ANN] CVS to Subversion Conversion Wednesday

Posted by Jose Luiz Junior <ju...@gmail.com>.
Mind that SVN uses WebDAV standard, not simple HTTP WWW standard.

Your firewall might be blocking PUT, MKCOL, OPTIONS, PROPFIND, LOCK
and UNLOCK. its usual.

Respectfully,
Jose Luiz Peleteiro

Re: [ANN] CVS to Subversion Conversion Wednesday

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Port 80, just like any other web server.  Committers will use 443 (SSL)
for authentication.

Don

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Subversion can actually be exposed multiple ways. One such way is to use
its built-in svnserve server which does listen over 3690.  Subversion
can also be exposed via WebDAV as an Apache 2.0 module.  In the latter
case, it can listen at any port Apache is configured to listen on,
usually 80 and/or 443.

Apache Software Foundation's Subversion server, svn.apache.org, does in
fact use the Apache WebDAV module and listens at 80 for
non-authenticated users, and 443 for authenticated users (usually
committers).  svnserve and port 3690 are not used at all.

Don

Posted by Salvador Trujillo Gonzalez <ji...@sc.ehu.es>.
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Greg Reddin wrote:

> CVS in pserver mode connects over port 2401.  Does anyone know what port
> svn uses?
It uses 3690,

Salva

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:57:20 -0400, Sean Schofield
<se...@schof.com> wrote:
> Yes.  I think the problem must be my firewall at work.  I have the same
> problem accessing CVS from work as well.  The client must be requiring
> something over a port that is blocked.  My guess is that the clien is
> interpreting a refused connection as  the server not being available.

It might be particular methods being blocked rather than ports. I
don't think SVN uses any other ports, but it might use non-standard
methods.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@schof.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:40:45 -0700, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
>

>>If there aren't any objections, I will ask infrastructure to perform the
>>actual conversion of Struts from CVS to Subversion.  The test conversion
>>has been up for over a week, and there haven't been any problems.
>>
>>Again, if I don't hear different, I'll ask around Wednesday afternoon
>>for our repository to be converted at infrastructure's earliest
>>convenience.  Speak now or forever hold your peace :)
>>

>My questions have been resolved to my satisfaction, so +1 from me.
>
>I assume you'll ask that the CVS repo be frozen at the same time. We
>should probably say that no CVS commits should happen after Tuesday,
>to make sure nothing gets lost.

Yes, the freezing of CVS will occur before the conversion by the
infrastructure team.  They will ensure no commit gets lost.

Don

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
I'll also take this opportunity to remind everyone who hasn't set their
subversion password to do so: http://www.apache.org/dev/cvs2svn.html
(step 10).

  10.  Users who haven't used Subversion before need to log into
minotaur.apache.org and run the svnpasswd utility to set their
Subversion password.

Don

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:40:45 -0700, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> If there aren't any objections, I will ask infrastructure to perform the
> actual conversion of Struts from CVS to Subversion.  The test conversion
> has been up for over a week, and there haven't been any problems.
>
> Again, if I don't hear different, I'll ask around Wednesday afternoon
> for our repository to be converted at infrastructure's earliest
> convenience.  Speak now or forever hold your peace :)

So, are we planning to keep all the existing tags and branches, or do
selective pruning?  Unless the SVN equivalent of "cvs log" maintains
the entire history on all affected files, I'm -1 on pruning anything
unless the infrastructure team says we're being too demanding on disk
space.

> Don

Craig